Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Does your SO do stuff you dont like?

Old 02-23-2012 | 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Tib
Default Does your SO do stuff you dont like?

And do you just put up with it to keep the peace, or do you straight tell them not to do it?
Old 02-23-2012 | 06:51 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Depends on the issue. I think it's unlikely that there would be any 2 people that would never do something the other dislikes.
Old 02-23-2012 | 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

"Be to her virtues very kind; be to her faults a little blind."

Pick your battles. Every couple has them.
Old 02-24-2012 | 06:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Sure, she may, but do realize, just because YOU don't like them doesn't automatically make it HER fault. Could it be that you're the one with the issue? Every time someone (especially my wife) does something I don't like (which is super rare for my wife...), the first thing I do is assume I have a problem, not her, and try to understand and let slide whatever it was.

You can change yourself pretty easily, but it's near impossible to change someone else.

Similarly, I almost never tell her what to do. I'll suggest (you might want to do _____) or give a "if it were up to me, I'd do _____". This enables her to "save face" (do it without looking bad) and also makes it feel like the idea is their own. If they consider it to be their own idea, they're much more likely to act on it versus you telling them or making them do it.

Lots and lots I could say on this subject, but that'll suffice for now.
Old 02-24-2012 | 06:44 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I live in a shared flat with five useless pieces of sh*t, it truly makes me mad.

-There is a party of some description almost every night

-There are always dirty dishes in and around the sink

-The kitchen floor is sticky

-Random drinks, bottles and cig butts adorn the common areas

I always clean my messes right after I make them. It is actually kind of hard; I just want to clean the whole house because I have to live there too, but I don't want my housemates to get the idea that I'll just clean up after them.

Old 02-24-2012 | 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

My wife and I have our issues once in a while. We've been together since high school (almost 15 years). She asked me one time why I am with her, I told her "you're the only person who would/could put up with me". And it's so true.

+1000 on picking your battles too. Somethings just aren't worth the argument.