Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Does Anyone Miss Automatic Transmissions?

Old 10-04-2006 | 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Id like to change what I said about automatics..

I dont really like them anymore lol convenient but boring. I drive to work a couple times a week early in the morning..I swear if I had an auto Id be half asleep driving. Im used to everything now except super heavy traffic like they have in NJ.

Practice makes perfect.

Ill get an automatic if I get a super luxury car or when I get in my 50s lmao.gif
Old 10-04-2006 | 07:45 PM

depends on what area of NY swift. Down here at the southern end, we only get nasty traffic in the summer when all the tourists (or shoobees as we call them) come down on the weekends. The Atlantic City Expressway can back up for 20 miles.

And as I said, I have driven large manual transmission trucks in gridlock. Nothing gives your left leg a better workout
Old 10-04-2006 | 07:52 PM

^Your right Mad..I wasnt specific as to where in NJ, but I meant in Central NJ its the worst..parkway south from woodbridge to seaside is packed during rush hour.

I have yet to experience a left leg cramp while driving instead of a right tongue.gif
Old 10-04-2006 | 08:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

swift your dad raced in rallies? which ones? i could never ever ever imagine an ex-rally racer choosing an auto after racing. Juha Kankkunen has been spotted driving around finland in an F40 as a daily driver. usually drivers get a free car from the team as part of company image but everything would depend on if it's a professional sponsorship or local one.

i miss my dad's stick elantra. that thing pulled and was really fun to drive. automatics feel a little more durable to me though. a lot of people as me why i didn't go stick. it's not like i had a choice, i bought a hyundai tiburon for the very reason they were made--superior great looking cars at a sh*tty resale value. sh*tty resale = good for me!
Old 10-04-2006 | 08:33 PM

^^HKC, all I know is my dad raced in rallies in Poland and in Germany I believe. I never asked any specifics..though I think I should hehe. I guess my dad just wanted comfort as he grew older..not thatg driving stick isnt uncomfortable but he just wanted something different.
Old 10-04-2006 | 08:48 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

HKC your pretty mistaken about the autos being more durable. They are very suseptable to mechanical failure compared to a stick. And their so goddamn complex that its a PITA to work on one and expensive to pay somebody else to do it.

Barring a lemon/abuse/neglect standard transmissions really only go through clutches for normal wear. And some people who never abuse their clutches keep the stock clutch for 100k+, alot of people on these boards have in fact.

Ive never heard of anybody blowing a stock manual tranny who treated their stick nicely, changed the gear oil appropriatly, and didnt slam the shifter into gear.

I can name you about 10 close friends/family members who never abused their auto's, and flushed the ATF appropriatly, and still blew their AT with relatively low mileage.

Hell my sister's blazer's AT just blew with something like 60k on it, and i have to put another tranny in for her.
Old 10-05-2006 | 12:56 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (SwiftTiburon @ Oct 5 2006, 02:33 AM)
^^HKC, all I know is my dad raced in rallies in Poland and in Germany I believe. I never asked any specifics..though I think I should hehe. I guess my dad just wanted comfort as he grew older..not thatg driving stick isnt uncomfortable but he just wanted something different.

I know that there were many Polish racing teams who raced modified Daewoos.
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

my rd2 was my first stick ever and i'm never going back (to any other car except for an rd2 w/ standard trans). my last car was a mercury mystique (mistake) / ford contour. that had an auto in it and one day coming back from school it started randomly shifting very violently. so i got it checked out and the mechanic told me a sesnor in the tranny went bad so the car was shifting into what ever gear it wanted to-... mainly reverse as i was doing 50mph!!! after that i no longer trust autos there is hardly ever a doubt in my mind that i'd ever go back to auto. just a little food for thought!