Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Does Anyone Miss Automatic Transmissions?

Old 10-04-2006 | 05:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ehh for now Im 50/50.

On hills id always prefer automatic..I hate stressing about them everytime I approach them...and through traffic.

Then again Ive been driving an automatic for three years and driving a manual for three weeks lmao.gif

Ive noticed though with a manual, you see how bad everyone else drives and you dont feel so lazy. My dad doesnt like manuals too much..he used to race in rallie's all the time and also had a manual for maybe 15-20 years so I suppose he has an excuse. tongue.gif

I supppose I will get used to it, in NJ I might have disliked it though lol..

I still think theres nothing better then just shifting..you feel so in control. I like that laugh.gif
Old 10-04-2006 | 05:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ew no, it feels wierd, and I get aggrivated at auto trannies when they upshift/downshift when they don't need to, or at least I feel they don't need to. lmao.gif
Old 10-04-2006 | 07:13 AM

In all the cars I have had.. never owned an Automatic. I have driven everything from 32 foot box trucks (7 speed with two speed rear end... hmm.. go from first low to first high.. to second low to second high.. etc etc etc..) in both interstate, city, and mountains. (new york was fun. Got stuck on the cross bronx expressway in rushhour traffic for two hours.. moving a car length at a time)

I would also never own an automatic unless I bought a luxury car or a van.
Old 10-04-2006 | 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've owned only two types of cars those that are manual, and those that should have been manual.
Old 10-04-2006 | 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Veilside Turbulence

OH HELLLLLLLL NAW!

I got tired of blowing through grannymatic trannys. All that stopped when I started driving stick. smile.gif
Old 10-04-2006 | 11:51 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

^ ^ Are you still here??? ^ ^

Anyone who wants to trade, e-mail me and let me know when you'll be in Nashville and we'll do a direct swap in a weekend.

Contact me for my cell phone number! majikTib@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:03 PM

i very rarely miss it. i love standard. in heavy traffic it sucks tho. thats the only time.

everytime i get into an auto i reach for the shifter. try and push the clutch to start it and so on lol
Old 10-04-2006 | 01:42 PM

^^^^^
When I was out in the middle of California this summer driving stick was fun. But when you live in the DC area like I do or your have to visit your girlfriend in the city of Philadelphia, I am sooooooo glad i have my auto. Sitting in an hour or two of traffic is normal and shifting that entire time is not fun.

But as for my preference: continuously variable transmission (CVT). That would be my ultimate choice.
Old 10-04-2006 | 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Heck no. I will NEVER go back to auto.

on an auto I hit the brake thinking its the clutch every time i slow down lol.
Old 10-04-2006 | 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

This is the way I see it:

Cars that have at least some handling characteristics require a manual transmission.

Drag racing:

Anything faster than 8 seconds in the 1/8th mile should be automatic so you can guarantee a good shift point without having to worry about missing a gear.

Road racing:

Manual transmissions need only apply. 'nuff said.

Trucks:

Anything with a displacement under 4.0 liters should have a manual transmission.

Full size trucks that have a single cab with a short box should have a manual transmission. Any size motor.

Long bed or extended cab trucks -- automatic.

Diesel trucks need manual mainly for the granny gear and fuel consumption.

Hope that covers it all.

Thank you, drive thru.

lmao.gif