Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Does Anyone Miss Automatic Transmissions?

Old 10-03-2006 | 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I haven't owned an Automatic transmission since 1998. From 1999-present I've been owning Manual transmissions. My first one being a manual Daewoo Lanos(i miss that car 02.gif ). My car is in the shop for a clutch change, Fuel filter change, Transmission oil change and Fuel filter change. I'm borrowing my parent's Elantra, which is an automatic transmission. I've accumaleted 70,000 miles in 3 years with my tiburon and 20,000 miles on my Daewoo. When driving my parent's elantra, it felt like a breath of fresh air because of the ease of use. I found it funny that i used my left foot and mashed the brake pedal thinking it was teh clutch. I'm contemplating whether or not my next car will be a Stick or Automatic, but It will definitly be a Sedan(I.e. Hyundai Sonata 4 banger 5 speed)
Old 10-03-2006 | 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

lol, i sorta do.

whenever i drive a friends car or anything the first instinct, usually just when backing out of the driveway or the first stop sign or whatever, is always to use the left foot as a brake. hahah.

but the manual is still more fun, the auto is nice to just relax, but i don't feel as in control.
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:01 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Coming from the driver of automatic SUV's and trucks for the last 3-4 months, .... HELL NO!

maybe it's just cause I'm bitter, I have a manual and can't drive it...
Try switching from Porsche 911's, the tib, and a classic bimmer (2002) to having the bimmer stolen, 911 sold, and tib broken and stuck with Blazer's and Tacoma's... max cornering speed 15mph. ugh...

Stick with the manual! wink1.gif
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:23 AM

I've drivin a automatic for every car i've own (4) not to many but I am really glad and excited to do this auto/manual swap and once I do and I don't think I will get another automatic for a long time!

I cant wait to have a manual and get the full potential!
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:30 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i never miss them. I just dont feel comfortable driving auto. It feels as wierd as driving with no seat belt, bare foot, with the seat too far back lmao lmao.gif

Even when im beat/hands are full i still wouldnt want to be driving auto.

Shit i was dead tired holding two cups of esspresso trying to drive my tib with a stage 3 clutch and short shifter, while trying to steer without power steering, and i didnt care...
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

I drove stick in the UK and for city driving it sucked big time.

Hill starts are very tricky, and TBH its too much hassle.

If I ever go with a MT it will be for weekend driving only smile.gif
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:54 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

nah, once your a pro man hills are easy and city driving becomes easy.

trust me, you do it for a while and you wont ever feel right in an AT again.
Old 10-04-2006 | 12:55 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I will buy automatic only if it will be more than 4spd and with manual control (like +,-) and if it change gears faster than those 4spd autotragics.
Old 10-04-2006 | 01:18 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Oh I was a pro.. I drove a MG metro Turbo with about 160 horses under the hood (and when you consider that car was about the same size as a go kart then thats alot of power lmao.gif )

I spose Im getting old, but I just cant be assed shifting all the time anymore..

I do miss saying "If you cant find it, grind it" tho lmao.gif

Here, 1985 Metro Turbo.

I got mine from an old woman who used to work for MG for 350 pounds lmao.gif It only had 35k on it.

I ended up blowing the head gasket when boosting it up too hard. Shame, very very clean little motor.

I could have rebuilt the engine but my pal's baby died shortly after and I kinda went into depression.. So I sold it.

Old 10-04-2006 | 01:28 AM

Vehicle: 1997/ Hyundai/ Tiburon

i do miss it, well the fact that it use to run better then, than compared to what it is now.

theres still power, its called L, L2, D w/od off, D w/od on. hmm should make a vid clip on it . haha