Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Differences Between Directv And Dish?

Old 03-05-2008 | 02:57 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Mar 5 2008, 09:49 PM)
Not only all of that, but a lot of times you won't receive local channels (which a lot of the football games are on).

I get local channels just fine. You have to tell them you want them. I pay an extra $2 or $3 a month to have local channels, but thats nothing really. They put this little arm on the dish that lets you have the local stuff. smile.gif

Oh and BTW....Time Warner is the local service provider here, and it was just announced today they cable rates are going up AGAIN....

Here's the news link about it:

http://www.mpnnow.com/news/x39084423

Probably wont be long before Comcast raises their rates also.....
Old 03-05-2008 | 04:08 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1. Call cable guy out to hook up internet.
2. promptly tip him $60 for "quick service" and tell him that you hope he does not hook up to the "wrong line"
3. enjoy your "internet"
Old 03-05-2008 | 05:16 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I get all the local channels too on DirecTV. A lot better than I could without it. BTW, I do know that DTV has the football channel that no one else had. I think it's the "NFL Channel"? Anyways, I got the Cowboys vs. Packers game of the year on DTV while the rest of the cable owners had to go to a bar or something. lol

Does cable have the Speed Channel now?
Old 03-05-2008 | 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^
Yup. I've had speed for some time.

QUOTE (majikTib @ Mar 5 2008, 01:33 PM)
Careful on the "up to 4 boxes" thing... notice the fine print, it's like $5 extra per month, per box for rental and they charge you shipping and handling for the boxes. So yeah, you get 'em for free, but have to pay shipping and have to pay rental fees.

My Comi-cast DVR messes up all the time. Audio cuts out often and I have to rewind to catch what they're saying. There are reports that they've started a transition and will be switcihng from Motorola DVRs to TiVO. That'll probably come in at $12-15 higher than current DVR rentals

I only need one box.

I agree, the Comcast DVR sucks ass.

QUOTE (JonGTR @ Mar 5 2008, 01:42 PM)
I've had DirecTV since the early 90's. It's always been better than cable or whatever else is out there. Everyone else is always trying to catch up to them. They set standards.
I've also never had a problem with their customer service, as rarely as I call them.

I've also heard about bills being different every month from cable users. I've never gotten screwed like that.

As far as Dish Network, I'd rather go with a bigger company..........again DirecTV started it all. do you really need more than 50 hours of recording???

True. My Comcast DVR is always running out of space. I've always got the same bill, and it's always high. It sucks.

QUOTE (Whiplash @ Mar 5 2008, 02:05 PM)
I have illegal Dish Network (legal here). I used to have Direct TV for 3 years until a big blackout happened and I guess it has not been hacked ever since. All I know is I pay $50 CDN for 3 months and I get everything...it pays for itself in less than a day. Mind you I dont have recording with my satellite, but I do record what ever I want because I bought a DVD recorder. So when I am going to miss something I just program the DVD recorder.

I dont know if you're willing to look into illegal satellite but if you want to save tons of money then it doesn't get any better.

Hmm... I know a few members that have it, but have a hard time getting info on it. Let's keep the talk of this off of the site though. We can PM or IM about it. I'd love more info.

QUOTE (cham @ Mar 5 2008, 02:14 PM)
FTA is the way to go (free to air) do soem reashearch or you can PM me about it, its a nice alternative.

Noted.

QUOTE (DTN (DrivingTibNaked) @ Mar 5 2008, 04:08 PM)
1. Call cable guy out to hook up internet.
2. promptly tip him $60 for "quick service" and tell him that you hope he does not hook up to the "wrong line"
3. enjoy your "internet"

I'd rather pay for my internet and make sure my service is steady.
Old 03-05-2008 | 10:38 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dish network sucks, everybody that has it that ive talked to hates it. Their customer service is abysmal, and whenever you were watching something it would stop and go to a screen where it said it was acquiring a new satellite and would go through 16 steps before it came back.

DTV was awesome, i have cable now but thats just cus my condo community looks down upon satellite's, bastards. But DTV like any dish, would accumulate snow sometimes, but if you are smart you'll just go outside and wipe it off, bam, working again. We installed it ourselves and we did it strong enough so us wiping the thing down wouldn't misalign it.

Local Channels weren't available in our area, but we just had the antenna hooked up too and had the news if we needed it.

Jon your referring to Sunday Ticket, which is awesome! They also had YES network which i miss...

and visionz, Time Warner sucks! their service blows, and they seemed like they were always out to swindle us out of money. I was always rebooting our modem and our box. Brighthouse is pretty much time warner of Florida and they're just as bad. Our box shuts off sometimes for no reason, sometimes it'll be off for a week or so and they refuse to remove the digital charge for that week

Their installation guys are shady too, we had to watch our guy cuz he looked like he might help himself to some of our stuff if we weren't there lmao.gif

I'm thinking of trying FIOS, seems interesting.
Old 03-06-2008 | 08:03 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

REDZ let me know if you have any questions...Ive had it for 10 years so I know a quite a bit about it.