Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Diet Discussion

Old 01-14-2008 | 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jan 14 2008, 07:14 PM)
ABQ - I've talked with you briefly before about nutrition and workouts... I value any input you can give me.

Thank you!

You stated you have very limited time in your day, but you make the effort to jump up and do little things during comercials and what not. That is a great start, just make sure you are keeping with that. Also you could try adding a 5 minute walk around the block before you go to bed. Not only will this help you burn a few more calories, but it is not too physically demanding as to burn you out. It may even provide you with some time to clear your mind and relax before bed time. After you have the routine of walking each night try adding 15 push ups at each corner. Step up the physical activity each week until you are comfortable with the amount you accomplish through out the week.

You have already figured out the hard part a proper diet. Keep with it and each week try and improve upon what you did for the last weeks diet. I know it sucks there won't be immediate results, but they will be healthy results that are more likely to stay with you.

Another thing that will help you alot set an achievable goal. One you can reach within let's say 3 months. Once you have that achievable goal wright it on a piece of paper wth a big marker. put it on the wall in front of the toilet or somewhere you are likely to see it multiple times a day(without makeing you wife mad you put some dumb paper on her wall.) This should help keep you motivated.
Old 01-15-2008 | 08:24 PM

I've lost 8 pounds in the last week and a half, Ive just been limiting fast food, and watching what I eat. It seems to be working good so far. I had planned on losing 10 but I may just see how much body fat I can cut off all together.
Old 01-16-2008 | 05:51 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

8 pounds in a 1 week? Most of that is probably just water weight that will return soon. anything more than about 2 pounds a week to lose or gain isn't likely to stay that way, but keep with it kustomized! Aslong as you are concistent with your habits you will see your results with time.
Old 01-16-2008 | 07:43 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by water weight but I've been drinking about/over a gal. a day if that has anything to do with it. I'll keep you all posted though fing02.gif
Old 01-16-2008 | 08:35 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I've lost 21 lbs in 3 months. I've been watching what I eat VERY closely, I pack my lunch for work and I make sure is healthy and small portions, i do eat very often, lets say every 3 hours, just enough to make me feel satisfied. I watch the amount of sodium and fat. here is the catch, I work nights,so i have to eat "breakfeast" 6pm and my meal is at 1am. lmao.gif i work on a very fast pace so i guess that can be counted as a workout, sometimes im lifting 35lbs boxes for 12 hrs. my max amount of my calories is around 1700.

I do have to say that is hard to loose weight and way harder to maintain it. just the other day i was craving a burger sooooo bad LOL i had to have it, i went to the drive thru, get home, start eating it.... to my surprise it wasn't THAT good as i used to remember. owned.gif i guess im used to the healthy stuff.

another thing, NOT everything that says DIET is good for you. take your time and look at the label of the regular and diet. the diet item have less calories but have way more sodium.

btw my diet is due to the fact that i found out that have high colesterol. i just turned 28 this past december, my high colesterol is inherited(sp?) next thing to do is get my fat ass to the gym. cool.gif
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:08 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

During college, I killed myself working nights at a large format printing press (2, 4, and 6 color Heidelbergs). I'd have classes from 9-2:30, and work 10 or 12 hour shifts (3:30-3:30 or 3p-5a). I'd get about 4-5 hours of sleep (at the most!) on the couch at my girlfriend's parents house before going to class. I lasted 6 months.

In those 6 months, I lost about 35-40 pounds. I lived off of McDonald's, Wendy's, Gyros (are those good for you? I love 'em), gatorade, and Monster energy drinks. I'd have two 32oz. gatorades every night, 2 of those big Monster energy drinks (green) every shift, and usually grab a hot dog and coke from Sam's Club for lunch ($2 lunch FTW!). I'd eat McDonald's or Wendy's around Midnight, and chips for snacks. I ate horribly, but my job was very physically demanding. To load 36"x24" paper you have to squat, grab a handful (20-30 lbs. or so) and pick it up, then squat to lay it down properly on the pallet. Do that a few hundred times and you'll get a good workout. The stacks of paper were about 5 feet tall, and I'd stack a dozen or more in a shift. Paper's heavy!!! With my arms about 34-36" apart and grabbing the paper on the outside, my forearms got huge, but it killed my knees always bending down and squatting. I can't imagine how much weight I would have lost had I been eating properly. If I could make the same amount of money doing that, I'd rather do something physical like that instead of sitting behind a desk.

Point - even eating 3,000 calories a day from fast food places, I was losing weight. Just gotta be very physically active to do it, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm surprised I didn't pass out from malnutrition and lack of sleep.

I really wanna know, are gyros good for you? lamb, pitas, and rice? I could eat that every day... I know the tabouleh isn't good for you, I saw nutrition on that before.
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i think a gyro is actually the most unhealthy thing on this planet majik, sorry.
Old 01-16-2008 | 11:21 AM
Administrator

crap... that would explain why I gained weight so fast after quitting the printing press... I'd eat gyros 3 or 4 times a week, GREAT greek place right next to campus cool.gif i'm gettin' hungry for lunch already

Just looked some up:
The gyro is a pita-bread sandwich filled with a molded mixture of seasoned beef and lamb roasted on a vertical spit. The five ounces of meat in a typical sandwich delivers 44 grams of fat, including a whole day’s worth of artery-clogging fat (20 grams). The 760-calorie sandwich also provides about an entire day’s worth of sodium.

"Great Steak and Potato Company" gyro facts:
Serving Size - 4oz. (I think I usually get double that where I go)
Total Fat: 29g
Sat. Fat: 8g
Cholest: 274mg
Sodium: 274mg
Total Carbs: 14g
Protein: 6.75

that doesn't include the rice or french fries... horrible for you but better than a burger at Carl's Jr. or Hardee's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just found this article:
http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?cmi...&code=24828

Ready to transform your sweet self into a lean, not-so-mean, fat-burning machine? You may be surprised to find that don’t have to overhaul your lifestyle.

People make the mistake of thinking they have to make drastic changes to lose weight and get in shape, says Lyssie Lakatos, RD, LD, CDN, but the secret is to make small changes and incorporate them into their lives permanently.

"Dropping your caloric intake below 1,000 calories a day on a consistent basis will signal your body that you are in starvation mode, and will slow down your metabolism," warns Lakatos, who with her twin sister, Tammy Lakatos Shames, RD, LD, CDN, is the co-author of "Fire Up Your Metabolism." When the metabolism slows, we store food as fat and gain weight. Calories do count, but it's also about how efficiently your body burns those calories. Your metabolism plays a big part in regulating your weight, Shames says. Metabolism is the way your body uses up calories from the food you eat and turns them into energy. Metabolic rate is the speed at which you use up those calories. The goal is to get your metabolism into peak operating condition so you will burn the most calories all day long -- even while you sleep.

If you follow these 7 tips to speed up your metabolism, you might never again find yourself facing the next bigger size of cute jeans at your favorite store.

Tip 1 -- Determine your daily caloric needs: To rev up your fat-burning engine, don't overload your system with too much food, Shames says. Figure out how many calories you need to consume each day to lose weight and keep your metabolism humming. Caloric level is determined by taking into account your age, sex, height, weight, lean body mass and activity level. Here's a quick formula from Shames to give you an idea of your magic number: Multiply your body weight by 11. For example, a 140-pound woman would need to consume 1,540 calories per day to lose weight. If you're very active, you can multiply your weight by 12.

Tip 2 -- Divvy up your meals: Kick-start your metabolism and curb your appetite by dividing your meals into five to six small, nutritious meals a day instead of three squares. Eat a 200-400 calorie mini-meal every three to four hours. Your body will expend more energy to digest the food and your metabolic rate will increase, Lakatos says.

Tip 3 -- Just move! Physical activity accounts for 20 to 40 percent of calories burned each day. The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests that a good goal for many people is to work up to exercising four to six times a week for 30 to 60 minutes at a time. If you can't do that much, do what you can, say the twins. Walk the dog, park the car at the far end of the lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, clean the house, just do something.

Tip 4 -- Pump iron: Muscle is your best friend! Your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is the pace at which your body burns calories at rest. It accounts for 60 to 70 percent of your daily calorie expenditure and it's closely linked to the amount of muscle you have. Muscle burns more calories than fat, and the more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn, even while you sleep. Lean muscle needs calories just to exist, so start lifting those weights.

Tip 5 -- Sleep tight: Sleep loss may increase hunger and affect the body's metabolism, which may make it more difficult to lose weight, according to studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association and the Lancet. People who lose sleep may continue to feel hungry despite adequate food intake because sleep loss has been shown to affect the secretion of cortisol, a hormone that regulates appetite. Make sure you get in your eight hours or more of shut-eye every night.

Tip 6 -- Eat lean protein and good carbs: Your body burns some of its own calories when it digests the food you eat. This is called the thermic effect of foods (TEF) and it's what makes protein (which has the highest thermic effect of any food) and good carbs metabolism-friendly. Lean protein such as turkey and chicken also builds calorie-burning muscle. Good carbs such as whole grains, legumes, veggies and fruit are also your body's major fuel source, Shames says. They provide the energy to get you up and moving so you can burn more calories.

Tip 7 -- Drink H2O: Researchers in Germany have found that drinking water may increase the rate at which people burn calories. Metabolic rates among study participants increased by 30 percent after consuming approximately 17 ounces of water. The energy-burning process of metabolism needs water to work effectively. Water also fills you up, curbs your appetite, flushes out your system, and rids the body of bloat. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses per day -- more if you're active
Old 01-16-2008 | 03:34 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jan 16 2008, 01:21 PM)
Tip 1 -- Determine your daily caloric needs: To rev up your fat-burning engine, don't overload your system with too much food, Shames says. Figure out how many calories you need to consume each day to lose weight and keep your metabolism humming. Caloric level is determined by taking into account your age, sex, height, weight, lean body mass and activity level. Here's a quick formula from Shames to give you an idea of your magic number: Multiply your body weight by 11. For example, a 140-pound woman would need to consume 1,540 calories per day to lose weight. If you're very active, you can multiply your weight by 12.

This is why I like the modified atkins diet. I don't need to look at the calories and try to keep track of those numbers, just count to 20. 20 net carbs per day.

Tip 3 -- Just move!
Physical activity accounts for 20 to 40 percent of calories burned each day. The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests that a good goal for many people is to work up to exercising four to six times a week for 30 to 60 minutes at a time. If you can't do that much, do what you can, say the twins. Walk the dog, park the car at the far end of the lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, clean the house, just do something.

Tip 4 -- Pump iron: Muscle is your best friend! Your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is the pace at which your body burns calories at rest. It accounts for 60 to 70 percent of your daily calorie expenditure and it's closely linked to the amount of muscle you have. Muscle burns more calories than fat, and the more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn, even while you sleep. Lean muscle needs calories just to exist, so start lifting those weights.

where is the other 10%? 40% physical and 60% resting = 100%, but 20% physical and 70% resting = 90%

Tip 5 -- Sleep tight: Sleep loss may increase hunger and affect the body's metabolism, which may make it more difficult to lose weight, according to studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association and the Lancet. People who lose sleep may continue to feel hungry despite adequate food intake because sleep loss has been shown to affect the secretion of cortisol, a hormone that regulates appetite. Make sure you get in your eight hours or more of shut-eye every night.

Tip 7 -- Drink H2O: Researchers in Germany have found that drinking water may increase the rate at which people burn calories. Metabolic rates among study participants increased by 30 percent after consuming approximately 17 ounces of water. The energy-burning process of metabolism needs water to work effectively. Water also fills you up, curbs your appetite, flushes out your system, and rids the body of bloat. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses per day -- more if you're active

Great tips here, most people don't realize. You will gain more weight by staying up late at night, period.

You must drink water to loose weight.
Old 01-16-2008 | 03:51 PM
Administrator

ugh.... slap.gif

Immediately following the "physical activity" statement it refers to exercise. It's safe to assume the 20-40% it refers to is linked to exercise that occurs outside the scope of everyday activity. Getting out of bed, walking to your car, pushing the ignition button (or turning the key), pressing on the gas pedal... all these things are physical activities but also within the course of everyday activities.

It also states that muscle burns calories, even while you sleep. Your body is not deadweight, it's continuously moving even when you're sleeping. I don't think sleep counts as "physical activity" but yet, you're burning calories.

I understand where your question originated, but do you TRY to find a reason to post, just to get more RDT points?!?