Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Deer hunting

Old 11-19-2009 | 02:09 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6
Default Deer hunting

Got a chance to use a depredation permit to take a deer off of a friend's inlaw's property so I'll be hopefully doing that tomorrow or Saturday.

It should be a good time, there are a lot of deer on the property. They're mule deer also which I've never hunted so it'll be interesting hunting something I've never hunted in a climate I've never hunted (Southeast WA).

Wish me luck, or the deer I suppose if you don't want me to succeed. I'll be stocked up with meat for a long time if I get a deer, so I'm hoping.
Old 11-19-2009 | 02:11 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Mmmm...venison! Yum!

Good luck and dont come back like this....lol

Old 11-19-2009 | 11:00 PM

Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

V that isn't even funny!! He is going to be gone for the weekend and I am going to go crazy. I am to co-dependent to be without someone here! LOL!!!!
Old 11-20-2009 | 06:28 AM
Administrator

Go to the strip club and invite strippers to come back to the house with you. On one hand, you wont be alone and will have a fun weekend....on the other hand...Floyd will be pissed he missed it. laugh.gif
Old 11-20-2009 | 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Lol.. Yeah that would have been fun! But I decided to spend the weekend with my parents! I talked to hubby and he, his dad and brother all got their deer today! I'm excited we are going to have venison again!
Old 11-22-2009 | 12:47 AM
Administrator

Yep, like Stacy said, got my deer and so did my dad and brother. It was a great trip, we all got our deer in one afternoon. We saw over 100 deer that day. I'm hoping to get to go back next year and hunt a bit of public land located behind one of their pieces of property.

So, the hard work will be on Thanksgiving once the deer are done hanging and the butchering starts.

I helped the family load some hay onto a trailer using a pair of hay hooks (a tool with a handle, a foot long shaft, and a 4" sharp hook on the end for lifting and moving bales of hay). I was lifting a bale by an end up onto the trailer and the left one tore out of the bale and stuck into my hand. It hit HARD, but luckily it hit the bone and slowed down a lot, because in flesh it would have gone a long ways. As it is I stabbed it almost an inch into my hand. The hook is a little less than a half inch in diameter. That hook hit my pinky finger bottom knuckle and deflected in between my pinky and ring finger bones in the palm of my hand. I'm going to go get a tetanus shot on Monday.
Old 11-22-2009 | 01:29 AM

Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Hooked a dear, then yourself. Good thing it wasnt fatal wink.gif
Old 11-22-2009 | 08:01 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Damn congrats on the deer and sorry to hear about you hand. Did you get it stitched up?
Old 11-22-2009 | 10:52 AM
Administrator

Was it a buck or doe? If it was a buck...how big is the rack? (haha I asked how big your rack was....tongue.gif)
Old 11-22-2009 | 03:07 PM
Administrator

The permit I had only allowed for antlerless deer, but I did end up getting a buck. It had antler nubs but nothing protruding above the skin so it was legal. I didn't know it was a buck until after I had it down. I also didn't know that it was a small deer. It's hard to tell across a field with nothing to compare it to. It's still almost full sized but a bit smaller than my brother's and dad's. It should make for excellent eating though. It's my 5th buck ever, and 12th deer altogether. With archery hunting does are legal around here so that's why there have been so many does vs. bucks. I hunt for the food, not really for the trophy, although I am pretty proud of my nice 3 point (6 point for you easterners).

I didn't get stitches. I could use them, but it'll heal up alright. Just maybe have a bit more of a scar. The wound is shaped like a Y and it's a little more than a half inch in all directions. Today I can feel how far in it went, probably a little over an inch and right between the two bones after bouncing off of the knuckle. It's pretty sore.