Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

December 7th 1941

Old 12-08-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I need everyone's opinion

My great uncle was in Pearl during that attack. I do not see his ship listed, it was a refueler that was also hit and then ordered out of the harbor to avoid exploding and taking out the entire place. While not badly damaged, she continued on after her fires were out, trying to catch up to the carriers that were still out on patrol. While there, she was torpedoed and sank. The crew was picked up by a destroyer out looking for japanese ships that was also sunk... out of the crews of two ships.. 20 men were picked up by a PBY Flying boat and survived.. my Great Uncle was one of them.

He went on to serve on the Battle Cruiser Alaska and then after the war was stationed in Kodiak Alaska just in time for the earthquake that dropped the island 6 feet further into the ocean.

On the good news side.. he made his fortune recently. After the war he bought several beach front properties in Key West.. after the US navy had supposedly "ruined" the island... he recently sold them at quite a handsome profit.

Back to the war topic... just remember, do not blame all the japanese for this. My ex girlfriend was japanese, her grandfather was a lieutenent in the Imperial Navy, she always kept a real low profile on December 7th just so she would not have to hear anything from anybody.

As it was, the attack was brilliant strategy. Admiral Yammamoto knew that they had no chance to defeat the US.. he planned that attack to take out the fuel depot and hoped to cripple out pacific forces enough that we would negotiate... unfortunatly for the japanese, the commodore in charge of carrying out the attack, never sent the third wave in to take out the depot.

As a side note. Admiral Yammamoto argued extensivly AGAINST war with the US.. his supporters in the navy and government sent him to sea to keep him from being assasinated by his own government. for being so vocal about it.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 AM

Default Re: December 7th 1941

A couple of you guys were right tho...i didnt hear anything about it in the media...Thats pretty messed up, everyone should remember a day like that.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: North East Meet 18/19 ??

They usualy show Tora! Tora! Tora! or simular war movies..I didn't see any this year. This attack also ushered in Hitler's fatal mistake by declaring war on the US.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Re: FS: Sony 10" Subs ,Sony 1000W amp, and 2 Frd Cap.

More importantly December 7th 2001 I graduated from Air Force Basic Military Training laugh.gif
Old 12-08-2004, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: Some nice Race Type Tiburons

It's a day with many memories that is for sure. As for the media, they were prolly off investigating some idiotic account in Iraq.

As for the attack on Pearl Harbour I agree with Mad-Machine as well. Very well planned attack, no matter how cowardly you might think it was. They touched on it in the movie "Pearl Harbour", but they had to create a torpedo that could work in such shallow water too.

For an attack like this, once in a lifetime is too much. I couldn't imagine having been around for both Pearl Harbour and 9/11
Old 12-08-2004, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Sharkracing

British intelligence actually warned the US that was going to be an attack somewhere in the Pacific with Pearl Harbor being the more likely target. For some reason, security was not tightened at all. This has been a source of great debate among historians.