Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The Deaf Culture

Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might as well add this in there then also
BTW, anybody ever heard of Gallaudet University for the Deaf? well guess what, Gallaudet happens to be the name of the french teacher, and that is where he started the new deaf school. neat huh?!

When the school was established, many of the teachers actually tried to make the school sign language only. No spoken english once so ever, which means many hard of hearing (HOH) kids would have to learn just sign language and pretty much just forget that they can still hear and understand spoken english. However this did not pass, and then and up until now the school is both a signing school and also a spoken english school. However most of the school tries to use sign, because the majority of the kids that attend the school have an almost complete hearing loss or were born deaf.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:29 PM

QUOTE (FoxXy TibBy @ Dec 1 2007, 09:54 PM)
well well well its nice knowing there are those here that have deaf in their family, personally, I believe everyone have a little deaf in thier gene pool, cuz I researched my family tree, and we could not find anybody in our family ancenstry who was deaf, and it was odd lol. oh I'd like to add this as well, my parents had a total of three kids, I am the youngest, and the only girl, my oldest brother was born deaf, and my middle brother is hearing, and then there's me, a deaf. There was times we all wondered that if my mom and dad had another child, would the forth one be hearing, (in a pattern) or deaf? lol it was something fun that we wondered about and shared lol

Both my parents have no history of anyone being deaf in the family tree. Im also good friends with the lady that helped invent the BRS ( bell Realy System) So the deaf community in Canada can talk to anyone at anytime( this was many years ago). The USA has the Something like that on the video phone that has just started to grow here. Its the same as BRS but you can sign to the operator and they'll interpret over the phone to who your trying to call.

What i hate is these questions that i always get

1) Do your parents work

Answer: Your joking right??? its not like there dumb!! they all can work.

2) Do your parents drive a car

Answer: Why do you need to hear to drive??? Its no different then you blasting your music lol

3) how do they hear the phone and the door

Answer: They have lights that go off when someone calls or rings

Finaly

How do you say F*** Y**

Answer: (frist i give them the middle finger and laugh) Then i tell the the real Deaf sign lol

If anyone wants to try it out go to this site

Just follow the instructions

ASL Browser
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Pssht... they so don't have the word f*** on there...
Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 PM

LMAO! no they don't
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 PM

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Dec 4 2007, 05:41 PM)
^^ Pssht... they so don't have the word f*** on there...

of course not silly, you have to get know a real deaf person, and then they'll tell you (hint: it would be recommended that you become a friend to them first)
cuz when you do, and this is really neat! once you become a friend to one of them or even a group, and they get to know you about yourself and who you are, they'll personally give you a name sign that is of your interest, for example, besides fox, i also really love tigers (and this was a few years ago btw) so your fingers are curved and you "rake" both hands across your cheek from front to back, this is the sign for 'tiger', well my name start with 'a', so do the same sign, but at the end of that sign transform it into the handsign 'a', and that is my name
another example will be my bf, whose name is josh, letter starting 'j' he is a guitar player and a guitar freak! (you guessed it he does love to play guitar hero too lol) anyways your hands needs to impersonate playing a guitar for the sign, well his sign name is the same hand locations, but instead of the fingers move to "play" guitar, handsign 'j' in the same area.
sorry if this is confusing, but i'm just giving an example lol

QUOTE (Teflon @ Dec 4 2007, 05:29 PM)
Just follow the instructions

ASL Browser

THANKS! for incluoing that! I was looking around for a good site to recommend in here but so far they're kind of cheezy
yeah, I understand what you mean, those question have been asked of me myself as well, and I would be standing there, (can we talk about anything else besides my deafness?) lol, but who can you blame, they don't know much about deaf people, and was just curious when they asked

another thing, this is the MOST FREQUENCLY ASKED QUESTION people asks me all the time!

"where are you from? sounds like you have an accent." I'd be like urgh, not again lol
but its ok, I dont mind much well usually when they just ask 'where are you from' i would answer Blaine, cuz that is where I was born lol, but then I tell them that I am a deafie and that explains why I sound different/odd
but dont worry guys you'll still understand me anyways, everyone else around me does!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:17 PM

LOL an accent!!! Thats dam funny!!! My GF was given a sign name awhile ago. She got all teary eyed cuz show know what it means to be given a name. She's doing really well with learning ASL. My parents are proud of her
Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 AM

QUOTE (Teflon @ Dec 5 2007, 05:17 PM)
LOL an accent!!! Thats dam funny!!! My GF was given a sign name awhile ago. She got all teary eyed cuz show know what it means to be given a name. She's doing really well with learning ASL. My parents are proud of her

That's great! well as for my bf, well he's still learning, he knows quite some signs and couldn't think of a new one to teach him. So as of now, we're just going along the line of when a word comes to mind, he'll just come to me and asks "how do you sign this?" he's basically got the concept that most of the signs are all "explanatory" in other word, to sign write, you have to impersonate writing on your hand. but just in case it's a new word he's not taught the sign, he likes to have the fun of figuring out the sign and then asks me, most times he guessed it wrong, but i do give him credits for the ones he guessed right! lol, for that i reward him a little kiss.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I have a question. how deaf people learn to read? i know some people think it may be a silly question. lol, reading is related with speech. so pronouncing the sound is how you learn to read.... i guess everyone knows that. lol
Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 PM

QUOTE (ScoupeLS @ Dec 7 2007, 04:59 PM)
I have a question. how deaf people learn to read? i know some people think it may be a silly question. lol, reading is related with speech. so pronouncing the sound is how you learn to read.... i guess everyone knows that. lol

lol, well I can't remember how I was taught to read, but I'm sure its the same concept way of learning, like you said, reading relates to talking, so in our case, signing relates to talking as well. the hearing and deaf schools are operating in similar ways, only different form of communicating. For example, in the school all the hearing people, you have essays and presentation which you have to read from papers or cards, well in deaf school, again same thing only different form of communication, signing from your essays etc.
the only real problem that'll prevent a deaf person from reading would be if they're blind, I'm sure you all heard of Helen Keller, the girl who became deaf and blind due to sickness in her childhood, in her case that is. Don't forget though, just because someone is blind doesn't mean they can't read, there's always the Braille languge laugh.gif
Old 12-08-2007, 12:45 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

nice, i learn something new every day.