Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The Deaf Culture

Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have been watching this thread, but I don't have anything to contribute really. I do want to ask is that first video actual sign language or just pantomime? I've seen that one before and I was wondering. Also, what is that last symbol before the guy walks off stage?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Dec 2 2007, 01:12 AM)
I have been watching this thread, but I don't have anything to contribute really. I do want to ask is that first video actual sign language or just pantomime? I've seen that one before and I was wondering. Also, what is that last symbol before the guy walks off stage?

well to be honest, the guy is actually signin straight ASL. and as for your last question, lol, i'm wondering which video you're talking about cuz ...
the first one, he is not doing any symbol, he's doing an imitation of playing the guitar
the second one, of ice ice baby, he's "hitting a person" just a visual aid for the deaf and telling the "person"rapper that he talks to much: the whole one hand as a 'c' and other hand swinging between his fingers means "chatterbox" also means one who talks way to fast, especially for an interpreter to follow. lol
the third one, pizza joke, well you know those sk (sidekick) phones? well believe it or not, that phone is VERY COMMON AMONG THE DEAF FOLKS, i'm not kidding you, almost every single deaf person has a sk, heck my best friend that I mentioned has a sk3. so in that joke when the teacher asked what did the student learn, that last sign meant "hang on, i'm busy on my sk right now." and for those of you not familiar with sk, its common among the deaf is because there's a really neat feature on there that allows you to better access to aim or yim than a regular phone, and somewhat access to internet as well, but it is slower than using your computer, of course. As far as I know of all the deaf people I've met in my life, well just about all of them have aim, and few with yim, so basically aim is very popular in the deaf world. And for the hearing impared, sk have the special discount on the phone and better/cheaper plans, which is nice. I myself do not have a sk, and am not interested. my h/a have a reaction feedback (which make real loud beeps and bleeps in my ear if you put it next to my h/a) to certain cell phone brands such as motorola, nokia, t-mobil and I refuse to have those kind. It's real annoying, my first cell was a nokia, and I had to keep a headphone to it so i can actually hear when i make/recieve calls. But, that doesn't mean all phone sucks for me, the best cell i ever owned was a LG, and before the plan had to be cancelled, I LOVED that phone! 02.gif but now i own a virgin mobil kyocera, and so far LG and Kyocera are compatible with my h/a without any feedback.
lol here i go exaggerating again lol
Old 12-02-2007, 06:10 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

WOW, Interesting read!,..>I was born with 50% loss., I had a few operations when I was a child and had to wear 2 hearing aids!, Now that I'm almost 40, and I work around machinery daily, I stopped wearing my aids 9 years ago and most people cant tell, cept for I mumble abit when I speak fast,have a prob with plurals and cannot hear high frequencies (lots of speech therapy classes)lol....alarm clocks and watch alarms are useless lol.. Most important of all!, my wife has to tell me when the car is making weird noises(cause I cant hear it) cool.gif
Old 12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My last hearing exam turned up that I have alot of high frequency loss.. I think it was from generators, artillery and explosions in Iraq. It's not bad at all... But I cannot wait until I finish fiberglassing my midrange center reference speaker into the car so that I can hear the highs better smile.gif .

To tell you the truth, i don't really know what high frequency loss means. They say it's really bad towards the high end, but i'm normal in the standard voice range. I don't know what I'm not hearing.

Sometimes people say "you don't hear that" I'm like.. no. So I guess my hearing sharply falls off after voice range.

My buddy used to be infantry and has really bad high frequency hearing loss. If you talk like a girl around him he can't hear it. I've got another buddy who uses that to his advantage and talks the trash in a squeaky little girly voice. It's all in good fun though.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Nex

QUOTE (FoxXy TibBy @ Dec 2 2007, 01:30 AM)
... but if you like talk right in my ear, i'll hear you lol...

you would love that wouldnt you? lol

well theres something new for me to learn today, very interesting. I didnt know there was different styles of sign language. I've always thought that it looks really hard to catch what someone is trying to tell you by movement.

Very cool Foxxy, thnx for your info and insight in this subject.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Regit @ Dec 2 2007, 07:10 AM)
WOW, Interesting read!,..>I was born with 50% loss., I had a few operations when I was a child and had to wear 2 hearing aids!, Now that I'm almost 40, and I work around machinery daily, I stopped wearing my aids 9 years ago and most people cant tell, cept for I mumble abit when I speak fast,have a prob with plurals and cannot hear high frequencies (lots of speech therapy classes)lol....alarm clocks and watch alarms are useless lol.. Most important of all!, my wife has to tell me when the car is making weird noises(cause I cant hear it) cool.gif

YAY another deafie here! nice to meet ya! welcome to this thread :smile: fing02.gif

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Dec 2 2007, 03:24 PM)
To tell you the truth, i don't really know what high frequency loss means. They say it's really bad towards the high end, but i'm normal in the standard voice range. I don't know what I'm not hearing.

high frequency loss, which is my kind of loss as well a complete loss to be exact, you cannot hear high frequency, or high pitch for that matter. one example of high frequency will be someone's whistling, a teapot steam, etc. because I cannot hear high frequency, I can't whistle, no biggie thou cuz the one small thing I can't do against the many big things I can do does not bother me at all wink.gif teehee
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

I have a question:

Is sign language universal? IE: English vs. French vs. Chinese?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Nex @ Dec 2 2007, 05:16 PM)
you would love that wouldnt you? lol

you know I would, lol, actually I prefer it licked and lapped there lmao.gif
QUOTE (Nex @ Dec 2 2007, 05:16 PM)
well theres something new for me to learn today, very interesting. I didnt know there was different styles of sign language. I've always thought that it looks really hard to catch what someone is trying to tell you by movement.
Very cool Foxxy, thnx for your info and insight in this subject.

well, I'm glad I sparked an interest in ya wink.gif I just have a very strong feeling that the whole world should be aware of the deaf culture a bit more than they are now, because meeting a deaf person can really change your insight on life, society, cultural aspects, and many other things, and its real neat to meet with them.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:48 PM

I have a question:

No sign language is not universal, people that use languages other than english have different signs for different words. And alot of them have different signs for different letters also.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 PM

QUOTE (BLK2KTIB @ Dec 2 2007, 09:37 PM)
I have a question:

haha you just made me laugh, cuz that reminded me of a funny event I've heard once. but first to answer your question, no sign language is not universal. every country, that is if they have enought deaf people in their country to make up their own culture, have their own sign language, so in this case in french, it'll be FSL (French Sign Language), and so on.
now for that joke, keep in mind this is true story, i've heard it once, so if i got the story a bit off, i apologize my bad:
an American deaf man took one of his vacation to Austrailia, and met some deaf Austrailians there, you know how their language is very close to our language with some differences? well thier's and our's signs are different as just as well. one of the deaf Austrailian was his guide and showed him around, and on the last night of his vacation there, the guide asked him, in sign of course, "did you have fun on your trip here?" the american man looked at him funny and kinda felt offended, but then the guide started to laugh, and he felt offended even more. his guide apologized and told him he accidently signed austrian sign to him, apparently "did you have fun on your trip here?" as us sign, is signed "did you have sex in your socks here?" in austrailian! i laughed so hard when I heard about that lol, so funny that austrailian sign for fun is sex, and trip is socks lmao.gif
whew, poor guy.
also I'd like to add this that I learned in ASL: (just a interesting history faq) In france, they had deaf school there, back in the 1800's but US did not, and a french teacher for the deaf was requested to move to the US and start a school there for all the deaf children that are not attending school (they couldn't because they were not accepted to hearing school because of their inability to talk), and the french teacher accepted. (thank god he did!) when he got to the US, he started goin from home to home, asking the parents to have their deaf child(ren) attend his new first deaf school of usa. keep in mind, ASL did not exist before he arrived to the US, and all the deaf children came up with thier own signs in thier homes. so one day they all gathered at the new deaf school, and the teacher took the time to learn all of the childrens' home signs, and taught them FSL as well. together, they brainstormed, created signs, and combined their home signs and FSL, and there they created ASL. when I learned that ASL was born from home sign and french sign, I thought that was real neat the teacher and a bunch of children worked together to create a whole new language.
BTW, anybody ever heard of Gallaudet University for the Deaf? well guess what, Gallaudet happens to be the name of the french teacher, and that is where he started the new deaf school. neat huh?!

QUOTE (01WhiteTibby @ Dec 2 2007, 09:48 PM)
No sign language is not universal, people that use languages other than english have different signs for different words. And alot of them have different signs for different letters also.

awesome WhiteTibby! you're right, in our country, each letter have their own sign, this is called the alphabetical signs, and when you're spelling out a word using each letter sign, it's called fingerspelling. I'm glad you added that wink.gif thanks!