Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Cutco/vector Marketing/alcas Corporation

Old 05-14-2008 | 09:35 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

They have been doing some major "campaigning" towards fresh out of high school students and enrolled in college students..

I'm not going to go into details but I was offered a position with the company, Vector Marketing Corporation which sells Cutco Cutlry which both are part of the Alcas Corporation, a former division of the Fortune 500 Aluminium company, Alcoa.

Asking for everyone's advise, not just Majiks.. If you've recently graduated high school in the United States or are in college you've PROBABLY gotten a letter in the mail from them. Or seen their "ad" in the classifieds. Or sometimes they are on craigslist..

If you haven't heard about them, no worries.
If you have, please post your experiences. Did you go to the interview? Training? Make any sales? Did you throw out the advertisement? Did you quit thinking it was a scam?
If you own a Cutco knife, where'd you get it from? Have you ever heard of Cutco Knives? Used one?

If absolutely no one knows anything about this company or Cutco Cutlery then well, I'll go into detail as I have done a TON of research trying to figure out if this is a path i should travel..
Old 12-17-2008 | 07:05 PM

It's a total rip-off scam pyramid-scheme type thing. Stay away. I went to an "interview". It actually was a room full people who alos came for an interview. What we got was a live info-mercial designed to brainwash us into the scam. YOU have to pay for all sorts of knive kits and sets to get started. Then try to sell them after you bought them. Pretty convenient for them, they already made their sale to you and you're left trying to push them on everyone you know, weirding out friends and family in the process smile.gif

Stay away unless you want to experience the charade. After the big presentation they call you into an office one by one to say that you were chosen above the others and blah-blah-blah...

What legit company makes you pay them to work for them? Ah... I could go on but it was years ago. I applaud them for the effort they put into to suckering kids in. It's quite a machine.
Old 12-17-2008 | 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't know anything about the company, but they're nice knives.
Old 12-17-2008 | 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Yeah i went to one of those things too. It was very boring and I could barely understand the guy who was talking. He had a weird lisp or something. I decided to finally not go through with it, that was after I was "hired" tho. I totally agree with wut 99tibby said. It is the truth.
Old 12-17-2008 | 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I also received a letter about going for an interview a few years ago. Never went because I knew what they were about. As stated above they have you purchase the knives before hand and then you have to sell them.

They are very nice knives (my parents have a few sets) but they are expensive so they are hard to push.
Old 12-17-2008 | 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I went through the training for Cutco but never sold any. I couldn't be the pushy salesman type lol.

It was all by customer referals having one customer refer you to the next and so on. So if you knew alot of people who knew even more people and they were all willing to but a set of knives that cost between 300 and a 1000 dollars you did good.

They are great knives though, we still have the set I did the training with and they are still sharp.
Old 12-17-2008 | 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

they love going after college kids. i went for an "interview" one day and after being there for 5 minutes i left because it just seemed shady.

they are similar to the door-to-door vacuum cleaner company "Kirby." complete ripoff when it comes to their employment

however, in regards to Cutco knives... i've heard nothing but good things about their product
Old 12-22-2008 | 10:53 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Pat - it appears we have some feedback now, although probably long after you needed it.

Anything else about Cutco?
Old 12-23-2008 | 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (99tibby @ Dec 17 2008, 07:05 PM)
What legit company makes you pay them to work for them?

Strip clubs.

I got "recruited" to sell "Amaze", a cleaner that's supposed to be non-toxic, blah, blah, blah... They flew me out to LA where i stayed at this motel that was filled with nothing but teenagers that had been selling this stuff door to door. When I got hired I was told I would be "demonstrating a new cleaner to interested parties", not selling door-to-door. Every morning,we had a brainwashing session where you were basically told that your worth was measured in sales and that if you didn't you sell, you would be looked down on by the others. I gave it one week and told them to send me home. To get my bus ticket home (remember, they flew me out), I had to stand in front of the whole group and tell them I was quitting.

The world is filled with scum trying to take advantage of the young and the naive.
Old 01-07-2009 | 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I actually went to the interview and training this past summer, bought the model set for about 140.00 dollars at discount. But i had a hard time selling the stuff where i live, people just thought it was too expensive, some of their sets are about 3g's. I never really sold much except to some family friends and my mom lol, so I gave up, still kept the knives and stuff because its really a great product. It's not really a scam, but you do have to be a damn good salesman to make any real money. Better off sticking to a regular job.