Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

In the current economy. Trade school>College degree?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default In the current economy. Trade school>College degree?

People have always discussed having a trade vs. degree. I'm sure everyone already has an understanding of the pros and cons of both. But with the economy the way it is with no sign of turning around, what would your advice be to say a younger relative/friend getting ready to decide what field they are going into.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

they need to do what is going to keep them happy-...

i had every intention of going to a 4-year college, but before i graduated high school, i had realized that i wanted to physically build stuff (not design it, not engineer it, etc).

i kinda picked welding out of the blue (on account of always needing a welder and never having access to one). it was between that and residential construction (which there was no money for unless you were a general contractor).

long story short, when i graduated from my tech school i left w/ the school certificate, multiple certifications in many aspects of welding, an award for student of the year, and for welder of the year-... not too shabby for someone who never really welded prior to my tech school.

so like i said, let them find a few things that they'd like to do-... weigh the options w/ long term goals along w/ the pro's and con's.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

"Trade schools" have been in the news alot lately for overcharging and not delivering on promises. A few are even under investigation. Do research if you're thinking of going that route.