Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

CRASH TEST: 1959 Chevy VS 2009 Chevy

Old 11-03-2010 | 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent
Default CRASH TEST: 1959 Chevy VS 2009 Chevy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDs1...layer_embedded

Stay with this 'til the end as there are several camera views. A 2009 car vs. a 1959 car in a crash test. Guess which one wins. No sound but the video is enough.

How many times have you heard:

"I wish they would make cars the way they did in the old days."

This video dispels that myth.

You know how we always think about what big huge tanks the old cars of the 50's and 60's were for size? And how we talk about how there is so much plastic on the new cars that if one of the old tanks ever collided with a new car, the new car would be demolished?

Well, someone in the insurance industry put that theory to the test. Be sure to watch toward the end to see the overhead view - and the assessment of driver injury.
Old 11-03-2010 | 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Anytime I say "I wish they would make cars the way they did in the old days," I am referring to the style, actual metal bodies/bumpers, and craftsmanship... Not the crumple zones...

*EDIT* - Oh yeah... the roof didn't buckle on the '59. LOL.
Old 11-03-2010 | 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

They sort of cheated with that.. I cant find the video that explains it. The Bel Air of that year didn't have a normal frame. It had an oddball X frame. The X allowed the malibu to have some extra leverage on the Bel Air in the offset test they did. Id like to see the same test against a car with a more main stream frame. Would the outcome change? Maybe. Now go smash something.
Old 11-03-2010 | 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

shouldve just given me the bel air

i wouldnt have smashed it i wouldve put a nice nascar style frame under it, channeled it, and slammed it on some intro vistas