Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Computer Problems

Old 06-02-2007 | 03:15 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

LMAO, after all this crap and advice leading to nowhere I did what I should have done days ago.

I typed into Google, Why is internet explorer wiggin out?

And I found some yahoo chat questions or something with people experiencing the same problem. Of course there were like 15 responses with 15 people recommending their favorite anti-virus or anti-spyware program...

But after some reading I found Ccleaner. Completely deletes all of Windows' bullshit.

And now it has finally stopped (:knocks on wood:, last time I said that it started a day later randomly).

And of course, I've got Mozilla now and am trying to figure out how to delete IE7 (and IE alltogether if possible, safe?)

Thanks anyways!
Old 06-03-2007 | 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can remove IE altogether.

But if you do, how will you use webtech? smile.gif
Old 06-03-2007 | 04:03 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I dunno what the hell to do. It is CONSIDERABLY less frequent than before and no longer refreshes the browser page I am currently on, just keeps opening new browser (whether it be ie or firefox) windows. Sometimes upwards of 100+.

The other thing that has stopped is the multiple iexplore.exe (or firefox.exe) processes. Rather just one process is shown using a crap-ton of memory.

I have two monitors and move the browser window that I'm using to one monitor and just let the hundreds of other broswer windows open up on the other monitor.

I think I'm gonna go Office Space on this POS...
Old 06-08-2007 | 08:03 AM

Sounds like you have a tainted IP address. Once you get targeted, people can target your IP address and get you before you install AV/updates etc. I think your best bet would have been to do a fresh install. Make sure you have all the updated drivers on a CD ready to install. Make sure have a good AV program with the latest patches/updates on CD ready. Get as much of your installs on CD's before hand. Look for an AV program with some type of System Control and Browser Control. I personally use F-Secure. All firewall activity is logged. When a website/application tries to open a new window or alter ANY browser settings, I get an alert that asks if I should allow/deny. Same goes for the system control. Any program that makes changes to startup applications or services gives a notice so I know what is happening to my system and when. Also, disconnect any extra hard drives you may have connected. Just try to keep the primary hard drive needed for booting connected.
Once you have everything installed, run your computer for a day or so. Make sure you do not get any errors. Burn a bootable copy MEMTest. Put the CD in the drive and have the BIOS boot to the CD. Let it run through at least 2 passes. Majority of all memory problems/leaks will be checked by this program. Also, make sure you turn on SMART hard drive monitoring in the BIOS. It will provide basic diagnostics on your hard drive that can help you when your hard drive begins to fail. This will make sure you don't have any hardware issues.
Once you have completed all that, I suggest you take your computer to a friends house with broadband and download any other OS/driver/AV updates that you need. This will keep any IP specific attacks from hitting you. Install Firefox and update your IE to the latest update (you don't need the latest version, just the latest security update). You can use IE if you really want to, but almost anybody will suggest that you use Firefox unless a certain website (i.e. WebTech) absolutely won't work without it. Finally, make sure you secure your wireless internet. It's simple and worth the extra time. Do not assume that nobody in your area is using your open internet. The majority of all computers come with wireless these days, and a computer will usually automatically connect to any network. People might think they are just randomly getting free internet, when they are just really leeching off of you.
If you follow all these steps, and you are certain you don't have a hardware problem, your computer should be pretty secure. Your AV will block almost all spyware/AV, and Firefox is able to block all pop-ups.
Hopefully this helps you. Good luck!