Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Computer Problems

Old 05-30-2007 | 03:59 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

nah it can't have moved to the disk ... you have more then 1 HD? if so the virus could've infected other files ...
Old 05-30-2007 | 04:21 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

nope just one harddrive.

this is absolutely mind boggling. I don't get it. If there was a spyware (let's just say..) and I completely erased the harddrive (the one and only harddrive) erasing all operating systems, programs, and files and started fresh with a NEW operating system (same version different disk), then why is the problem still persisting...

what the hell man. Should I take my harddrive out and run it through the dishwasher or something?
lmao.gif
Old 05-30-2007 | 04:52 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

loll

that might help! hahaha
Old 05-30-2007 | 07:02 PM

WOW!....

this is crazy. I REALLY thought this would work. It took FOREVER to re-format the new partition for XP (I guess Vista downloads faster..) but it finally finished and I started to install the drivers. I did the Intel ProSet Wireless connection Driver first so I could connect to the internet and immediately after it found a connection (my wireless network) it started the pop up shit again...

ha. wtf? i am so clueless... should I just buy a new harddrive? at this point, I don't think even THAT would help..
Old 05-30-2007 | 07:06 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You're using a burned cd right? Not an origonal?

As in... Could have a virus?

Some software can be fine for years, then after a certain time, that's when the virus activates. Most of the time a virus will remain unknown until it goes off.
Old 05-30-2007 | 07:15 PM

on the XP CD yes.

and I tried Firefox. It just does continous firefox.exe processes instead of iexplorer.exe...

answer me this, is it possible for a virus, spyware, whatever to be present somewhere other than the harddrive? am i crazy.. if I delete everything from the harddrive and go buy a Vista Ultimate Full Version CD for umpteen billion dollars and install it tomorrow there's no way this could start happening immediately upon the finish of the installation..

ugh. dishwasher it is...
Old 05-30-2007 | 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you dont have any other removable media connexted do you? usb thumb drive or floppy?

have you installed any new hardware recently? i'm thinking it's a software related thing for a crappy program you are using. you are doing full formats, not the quick ones right?

try plugging the comp into a wired connection to see if it still happens. if you are using a usb wireless adapter i think they have storage on them to remember settings, maybe something got in there.

and dtn, of course no antivirus program will get everything, but it's the ratio of what they do get to what they don't, how often they update their database, and how small a memory footprint they take up for their effectiveness in real time scanning(avast will catch any trojan before you are able to install it, even if you don't scan the files first) that makes one better than the other.
Old 05-30-2007 | 07:45 PM

Don't connect to the internet when your doing a fresh OS install until you've updated service packs/installed anti-virus/firewall/whatever else.

What are you on right now? Like you still have Vista installed at the moment?

Do you have a hi-jack this log? Or did you get that error before it did anything?
Old 05-30-2007 | 07:59 PM

tibby01,

I have no removeable media in the comp. Nor do I have a usb wireless adapter. Wireless is built in.

yes, I am doing full formats. it takes a good hour (or more) in the windows xp installation process, but there is no (quick/full format) option in the vista installation process. ...just format.

what's weird is when I would do clean installs (delete partitions and create a new formatted partition for the install) for Vista it would start up with all the drivers installed. But when I did clean installs with XP I would have to put in the driver CD to get everything..

So I'm thinking the Vista installs weren't really clean installs. I dunno. I clicked delete partition, create new, format and then install on new partition... isn't that what you supposed to do (to wipe harddrive and start fresh..)

mb499
so, you think I should try again and install XP but don't install Proset wireless (i.e. don't allow for an internet connection) until I have 74 anti-virus programs installed, in the hopes they will "catch" the whatever this is when I install the Intel ProSet Wireless driver..

hmm.. I'll try. smile.gif (beats the dishwasher!)

I am on XP right now. 72 new Mozilla Firefox pages opened up in the past minute. I just clicked "close group" Surprisingly though, the page I am on hasn't been refreshing to the home page (like it usually did..)

I did get a HijackThis log, but I'll need to do another (since I've done another clean install of XP since then).
Old 05-31-2007 | 03:51 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

You mentioned you got the problem as soon as your internet connection was up. Sounds like you're getting it through the network. A professor at my college once mentioned that a freshly installed XP would get infected within seconds after connecting it to the network. It gets infected through invulnerabilities that have been fixed through service packs. What you need to do is install SP2 (service pack 2) BEFORE connecting to the network (warning: it's very hard to install sp2 on a cracked copy of windows, so I'll assume that you have a genuine copy). Disconnect the cable, disable the wireless card if need be.

So do this: download SP2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

And burn it on a CD (preferably this would happen on a non-infected computer, but you can try it either way, viruses these days don't really infect .exe files anymore).

Having 74 anti-virus programs installed won't necessarily help cover up any invulnerability of the OS that is allowing the virus to infect your computer. I personally hate all AV programs, as they are very annoying and bog down the machine and make boot up time worse than most viruses do smile.gif

My advice to prevent this is: make sure you apply all security patches to the OS, don't use Vista just yet, use Firefox, and use common sense (don't say Yes to any popups, don't execute any weird files off the Internet or email). That's what I always do and I never had any major problems.

Also, most worms execute themselves when Windows is started, so you can run msconfig (Start->Run-> type "msconfig") and check the Startup panel for any weird entries if you suspect you are infected. You can also use symantec online virus scan, which does not install anything on your computer, and if a virus is found you can download a clean-up tool for that virus from symantec.

Good luck!