Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Computer Help!

Old 01-04-2006 | 11:42 AM

Mr_Jeckel you are right on the ball..
I just figured out all this yesterday as well..
you're right, i didn't change the administrator password and I am on a domain which means i changed my other USER account password for the domain.. that account previously had Administrator status. What i did was changed that to guest.
And about logging in in safemode you are right too, what i did the other day was clicked safemode with networking. This allows me to log in.
Now about one thing, although the domain is connected to my school, i can still use it when i'm at home even if i'm not connected to their network server.

damn, i wish you coulda posted this a few days ago, woulda made my day alot easier. lol..
but thanks anyways..

so i contacted my IT department, they have a password reset disc that they're going to use to fix this crap..
now i know what to do if i want to screw up someones computer lmao.gif ...

thanks everyone for the tips.. i didnt try the distro thing yet cause i didnt know too much about it, i figured i'd wait and talk to IT first and see if they can fix it first and if not than the distro would be last resort.
thanks for the advice though!

i'll let you know when its fixed

Vic
Old 01-04-2006 | 12:07 PM

I'm glad that helped you out a bit. I would have posted sooner but I was away for the last week and had to catch up on 7 pages of old posts. BTW, you can use the computer off the network because the computer stores a local copy of the password. You will have to continue to use your old password and profile until you re-connect to the domain and your laptop retrieves the updated account profile. Good luck!