Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Computer Help!

Old 12-31-2005 | 03:36 PM

Ok, some weird crap was going on with my computer and long story short i changed my profile on my computer to guest status so now i cant do crap on it!

for those of you who do not know what i'm talking about...
Go to Control Panel ----> User Accounts you can see a list of profile accounts that you have in there..
now you should all have an "Administrator" account. This account has a password to it.. i have no clue on how to find out what the password is unless i change it. But the problem is, i went and put the status of the "Administrator" account to "Guest". Now there are so many restrictions to as what i can do on the computer and i'm basically trying to change the status of "Administrator" to administrator instead of guest.
Now what happens when i try to go into "User Accounts" it tells me:

User Name: Administrator
Password:
Domain: L-Lukvinm

I don't know the password to log into this part and i need it to change it back to how i had it before..
so what can i do!?!?!?!?

HELP!
Old 12-31-2005 | 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

go into safe mode and u will be a administrator. then u can change your name back to admin then all will be good fing02.gif

this will work for windows 95,98,and xp.

u just restart the pc while pressing and holding f7 or f8 i forget wich one then it will go into safe mode and i think it will work for xp aswell (never had to go into safe mode one xp)
Old 12-31-2005 | 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

f8
there is a linux distro that lets you boot to a cd and reset admin pass if you need it google it
Old 12-31-2005 | 05:41 PM

QUOTE (SilentSecret @ Dec 31 2005, 10:40 PM)
go into safe mode and u will be a administrator. then u can change your name back to admin then all will be good fing02.gif

this will work for windows 95,98,and xp.

u just restart the pc while pressing and holding f7 or f8 i forget wich one then it will go into safe mode and i think it will work for xp aswell (never had to go into safe mode one xp)

lol... the whole reason this thing started was because i was trying to get into safe mode and i cant.
I'm on a computer laptop that i got from my university, so they setup the whole computer and crap. and for some reason i cant log in in safe mode. When the log in screen comes on and i type my usual password to get it it doesnt work. So then i thought maybe if i put it to "Guest" it might not ask me a password and i can get it (which is WRONG). I needed to get into safe mode to rid some virus and spyware..

So if anyone can figure out why i cant get log in when in safe mode plz do tell
Old 12-31-2005 | 05:54 PM

you need a distro disk then.. owned.gif
Old 12-31-2005 | 07:06 PM

ouch.. and school is closed right now and there is no IT department to call?
Old 12-31-2005 | 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

if the school set it up wouldn't you think its a generic password?
like admin or password or something

how did you log on as administrator everytime without a password before?

could you system restore on guest account and go back like 1 day?
Old 01-02-2006 | 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Raven997 @ Dec 31 2005, 10:57 PM)
f8
there is a linux distro that lets you boot to a cd and reset admin pass if you need it google it

how exactly does this work? and am i supposed to be using linux?
sorry i'm not hardcore into computers so i may sound like a newb on this..

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jan 1 2006, 02:06 AM)
ouch.. and school is closed right now and there is no IT department to call?

yeea schools closed and theres no IT department to call right now

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jan 1 2006, 02:54 AM)
if the school set it up wouldn't you think its a generic password?
like admin or password or something

how did you log on as administrator everytime without a password before?

could you system restore on guest account and go back like 1 day?

I would think there is a generic password too.. but just don't know what it is..
i tried password, admin, administrator and all that stuff..

I didn't log in as administrator before, i have my own personal log in account which has been given administrator duties so i can do whatever an admin does.

I don't know quite how system restore works...

ok just tried system restore.. i do not have sufficient access to this option.. i need to be an admin..

i guess only option is to do the distro thing.. but i have no clue what it is and how to use it
Old 01-02-2006 | 10:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I believe they are speaking of knoppix. I've never used it for password resets but I have used it for getting back data and doing hard disk checks. It's basically a distrobution of linux (a version) that is just used for trouble shooting. It boots the whole thing off the cd then you can access your harddrives without having to boot off them.

http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44
Old 01-04-2006 | 07:51 AM

Here are a couple of thoughts.

You cannot change the administrator account to Guest. The administrator account is a part of the administrator group. You can add it to the Guest group, but this does nothing, since this account inherits all of its' permissions from the administrator group. There must always be ONE administrator account on the computer. It is impossible to for this to be any other way.

It appears that you are on a domain. That means that you cannot log on to the computer without the being connected to school's network. This is because the computer looks for your user name and password from the DNS server on the network. The laptop most likely has some local accounts, including the administrator account, but you probably would not have the passwords to access these accounts. This makes the computer pretty much unusable if you are not able to connect to the network.

Now, the reason you cannot log onto the computer while in safe mode is because the device drivers for the ethernet are not loaded when booting into safe mode. This means that the computer cannot see the DNS server and therefore cannot access your user name and password combination. Also, the guest accounts are probably disabled because they can be considered security risks. You should be able to boot into safe mode, but select the option after "Safe Mode". This should be "Safe Mode with Networking". This will load the drivers needed to see the domain and should allow you to login.

BTW, are you still able to log into the computer normally? Also, I am a little lost. You said that you changed the administrator account to Guest, but this sounds like you just changed YOUR profile to guest. That would mean that the next time you logged in, you would lose your administrator status (or whatever your previous status was). The only way for you to have that changed would be to contact your IT department and tell them what you have done. If the profile is part of the domain, you will not have access to change that part your account.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps.