Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Cell Phones

Old 07-28-2007 | 07:30 PM

i havent heard of the dash. is that a blackberry or what?
Old 08-01-2007 | 11:40 PM

I don't have a Blackberry but I DO have a (previouse palmOne) Palm Treo 650 and I LOVE it. As far as I know it's just about the same as a Blackberry. You can load/view/watch just about anything. At one point I had Doom (the original) on it and also Hexen and I was playing using a keyboard I bought that you just set the phone on and it connects using an IR port and you can use it just like a computer keyboard.

I could use mine for school papers and everything when I was at work and didn't have anything to do.

If anyone wants some info on the Treo 600/650 just ask me! smile.gif
Old 08-02-2007 | 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check out www.ctimiami.com

they have ALOT of very cool unlocked phones. They are a local shop here in miami and I have heard great things about them from friends that have bought phones at the store. I havent bought anything personally from the store or online, but it has always been suggested to me by friends.

couple places to check out news and stuff on cellphones:

www.engadgetmobile.com
www.boygeniusreport.com

they blog cellphones, tech and other stuff and seem to be pretty unbiased about their reviews.
Old 08-02-2007 | 10:36 AM
Banned

im very basic when it comes to phones.. all im interested in is low prices and good reception.. i just had to upgrade from my sanyo mm7400 (3 year old phone) cuz the battery was going out and they didn't make them anymore. i now have the sanyo katana. i got it free so i couldn't argue.. the reception is good on it, its pretty thin, and has taken some abuse and still works good.

im not into the phones with all those useless gadgets, gps, games, etc.. i just talk and text. if i wanted to play games or go online ill use my laptop or my 360.

o, my service provider is sprint.. never had a single problem with the service, but the texting is a lil pricey.

i used to have nextel, they were crap cept for walkie talkie. my first service, back when i was 15 was verizon. i had the moto timeport. fing02.gif best phone i have ever had, and best service. duno how verizon is now though.
Old 08-02-2007 | 12:50 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have a Treo 755p from Sprint (blue).
My Wife has a Blackberry.

Treo > Blackberry by far

Old 08-02-2007 | 02:29 PM

Lol this is pretty funny because I am actually on my blackberry 8830 world edition phone right now looking at the forums! This is a sweet phone does everything u can think of, the only thing the palms have that the blackberries don't are touchscreens and a camera. But the black berry comes with a trckball which is much easier to use than a touchscreen and is more accurate! Also the blackberry 8830 is about half the size of the palms, so it doesn't look like u are talking into a brick! Blackberries also have this function that's kinda like AIM, u can chat with other blackberries either 1 on 1 or in a whole chat room of blackberries! Its pretty sweet and that's somethin that no other phone has! The blackberry is also more of a business phone, so if u are a business type man or u just want to look like one then a blackberry is the way to go! blackberries ftw!
Old 08-02-2007 | 03:00 PM
Administrator

QUOTE (Ruin3r @ Aug 2 2007, 03:29 PM)
But the black berry comes with a trckball which is much easier to use than a touchscreen and is more accurate!
easier? accurate? How can a trackball be easier/faster/more accurate than pointing with your finger?

Also the blackberry 8830 is about half the size of the palms, so it doesn't look like u are talking into a brick!
Compared to my Treo, your phone is .09" longer and .48" wider.. but it is .29" thinner. So the Blackberry is wider and taller than my Treo, but 1/4" thinner. Not exactly "Half the size"

Blackberries also have this function that's kinda like AIM, u can chat with other blackberries either 1 on 1 or in a whole chat room of blackberries!
Yes, Blackberry messenger, for a fee. My Treo came with AIM, MSN, and YIM loaded.

Its pretty sweet and that's somethin that no other phone has! The blackberry is also more of a business phone, so if u are a business type man or u just want to look like one then a blackberry is the way to go! blackberries ftw!
The Blackberry has a mail server that updates non-stop, requiring unlimited data access plan, which is higher than the Palm data access plan because Blackberry phones use the Blackberry browser and they charge a fee for that. My Treo checks my gmail every 3 minutes (i can change it to 1 minute or 5 minutes if I want) and lets me know of new messages. I can add multiple e-mail accounts, not just gmail.

Sprint:
Unlimited web and data on Treo: $15/mo.
Unlimited web and data on Blackberry: $50/mo.

As I said, I own a Treo 755p and my wife owns a Blackberry 7130.
My Treo has a much more durable feel to it than the Blackberry. I have fewer problems with the phone and it just works better. The Blackberry feels like a cheap, plastic, empty case. My wife wants to get rid of her Blackberry now that she's used my Treo.

My company has over 8,000 employees, and all upper management (VP, SVP, CFO, CEO, etc. etc.) used to be provided with a Blackberry... they switched to Treo for obvious reasons. Also, the Treo has a much better "sync to PC" feature in my opinion, and downloads Outlook contacts/info to your address book very easily (doesn't require windows mobile).

You won't win this battle. Treo > Blackberry
Old 08-03-2007 | 10:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (long @ Jul 28 2007, 07:30 PM)
i havent heard of the dash. is that a blackberry or what?

Hell no, I'd never buy a POS Treo or Blackberry.

Dash is a WM6 Smartphone made by HTC.

It's a great phone. Here's some info on it.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Detail...bd-070dbe4b5023

BTW, it beat the Blackberry Curve in recent testing, and is a VERY popular phone.

Wifi, Stereo Bluetooth, Edge, Word/Excel/Powerpoint Mobile.

BTW, I have a Nintendo emulator on it and all the NES games ever.

LOL

It's great.
Old 08-03-2007 | 12:04 PM

Well first off u don't have to pay for the blackberry messnger its free.
Second, the touch screen isn't as accurate as the trackball because when u use ur fingrrs to click on stuff u could hit the wrong thing, or u can pull out the dumb stylus every time u want to use ur phone.
Third, if u are going to complain about the price of the internet service then u shouldn't even have a pda phone.
Fourth I don't really care about this dumb argument between treo and blackberry, the guy who started this post asked specifically about the blackberry and I just told him about it, I wasn't trying to get flamed by a mod, I was just telling him about the blackberry (which he asked) and compared it to the treo.

Also the blackberry has a high capacity battery that probably lasts twice as long as a treo (I'm sure u will go check out the website for the exact battery life on both phones, may not be twice as long but I know my friend has to charge his treo everyday and I only have to charge my blackberry every two to three days depending on how much I'm on it) but it definately outlasts the treo.

Also my blackberry is a world phone so I could travel the globe and still be able to use my cell unlike the treo.
Old 08-03-2007 | 12:08 PM
Administrator

nana.gif I'm just bustin' your chops dude. It's all in good fun.

relax, they both have pros and cons.

side note: you can get either your blackberry or my treo at the same price @ Sprint ($199). I paid more, but don't wish to pay $35 more every month for access to the same thing.

T-Mobile is the way to go, though. Especially with it's free hot-spot thing on cell phones
BUT, Google and Sprint are hooking up, and Google's already giving prototype designs of the Gphone to manufacturers to beat the iPhone! haha.gif