Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Car suggestions for my next car

Old 09-22-2011 | 04:22 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6
Default Car suggestions for my next car

So, eventually I am going to want a new car for a daily driver. I have decided that it won't be a Hyundai. I still like my Hyundais, but I can't justify the cost of any of the new ones I want vs. other used cars, and nothing that I want to buy has gone down in value enough for me to pick it up unless I have to wait longer than I think.

This car won't be raced, just daily driven, probably modified, and possibly entered into a few car shows. I would be looking for a good used car, not new. I am not sure what I want to spend, but I know not more than $20k...mostly because of how many great cars are out there for $20k or less.

Some things I'm considering:

BMW M3

BMW M5

Audi S4

Merc S500/S600

Merc S55 AMG

Merc CLK 500

Merc SL500/SL600

Jag XK-8

Jag S-Type

Evo

STi

350z

As you can tell, I don't have a real direction with this. Sort of looking for max cool for the $$$$$$$ without being a POS that I can't rely on or costing more to maintain than is reasonable. I want something that really grabs people's attention. Like any of these? Other suggestions? Any warnings about the cars I mentioned?
Old 09-22-2011 | 05:03 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

If you can afford all of those then any one of them is good. A lot of their owners go to straight to the dealer for services and rack up some high bills. Their parts are ridiculously expensive. I've seen an AMG CLK V12 up close and have been in serveral Mercedes (one recently) and I don't know what the hype is about. They are a lot like any other car, cramped and use basic plastics and you end up paying for the badge and reputation.

If you want a luxury car for the money for a great price, I would go for a used Lexus IS or GS. They use Toyota parts.

If you want thrills, there aren't a lot of cool cars that can do that. The only car that I feel is on par with Hyundai is Ford in terns of value for the money. I thought you were waiting for the Veloster or Hyundai M3?
Old 09-22-2011 | 05:38 PM
Administrator

I was...I've had a change of priorities I guess you could say.

Excitement will come from cars which are not my daily driver. I know it's sort of a douche outlook, but I sort of want to improve my apparent status for several reasons. This is one thing I can buy to directly raise that. I'm going to make some other personal changes as well. I guess it's sort of a "dress the part" thing. Showing up to business meetings, or visiting prospective clients in a ricey Accent wasn't working out so well, and changing to a stock Accent didn't really seem to help.

I can have anything on the above list a few years old for equal or less money than a new Veloster and IMO most people will react more positively to anything on that list with the possible exception of the Evo/STi/350z.
Old 09-22-2011 | 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Just thought I would throw in some suggestions, not really sure what your looking for but this is what I came up with:

VW R32

Pontiac GTO

C5 Corvette

Honda S2000

Mazdaspeed3

Mazdaspeed6

Infiniti G35

Mini Cooper S

Dodge SRT4- Neon or Caliber
Old 09-22-2011 | 06:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks. There are a few on that list I wouldn't mind. But I don't think anything that would go to top choice for me either. The S2k would be good, but I can't fit in one.
Old 09-22-2011 | 06:33 PM

Vehicle: x3

i don't have much to add to the list. was going to say the mazdaspeed3 (especially the newer ones if looks are a concern). always recommend an SRT but not if ricey/looks are a concern lol.

might be able to find an SRT8 in your price range though, either a 300C or a Jeep GC. little bit of power, little bit business worthy.

dunno if the bmw 1 series will have any used prices by the time you go looking. might be worth looking into.

i know you said no to a hyundai but i might have a GenCoupe in May if you're interested in the payoff.
Old 09-22-2011 | 06:51 PM
Administrator

The wife might want me to go with a 300C, I personally would have to be dragged kicking and screaming to look at a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product. Those are the only things I've ever had experience with that universally ended with me hating them.

I would love a BMW 1 series, but at this time they are out of my price range. Would be at or near the top of my list if it was cheaper though.

I like the Gen Coupes, but I haven't seen a used one for a realistic price. If I could get into one for closer to $10k than $20k I would consider it. Sadly, a Hyundai short of the Gen Sedan doesn't really help the status much. It would be noticeably better than an Accent or Tib in that department though. Around $15k it's pretty easy to find a decent e46 M3. It's hard to sell me on a GC vs. an M3 when we're talking the same money.
Old 09-22-2011 | 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000/tiburon

what about an rx7 id love to drive one of those i think there beautiful cars
Old 09-22-2011 | 07:06 PM

Vehicle: x3

i dunno if you could find an FD rx7 in that price range. (plus it's hard to look pimp while adding two quarts of oil before you leave work... just kidding) in new england clean FD rx7s and Mark4 supras still go for $20k+

OP have any adverse weather conditions to deal with while daily driving (snow, significant traffic, long drive to work)?
Old 09-22-2011 | 07:35 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

RX7 FD go for about 9k here in Wa, where me and 187SKS are, I have a FB and love the damn thing!

Also Floyd, I can really see you in an older Evo, like the 8's. You can find them around the 11-15k Range, you can daily it and still on the occation still make a fun run to Cosco with your friends, and you can overtake those pesky old men driving tow trucks way easier in a Evo!

Just my .02!