Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Car did not like brakes locking up

Old 02-24-2005 | 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ Hence the reason I wanted to lock them up on snow in a semi Controlled environment (Last car I owned had ABS). I wanted to test what could happen so I would know what to do in that situation if it ever happened (and in philly, it WILL happen laugh.gif: ).

Pushing the cluch in has 100% to do with it tongue.gif If the cluch was enguaged, the car would of stalled when the tires locked up. Your brakes (sorry about that mang, I am one of the worst spellers, esp on the fly without my spell checker) would put a load on the engine causing it to stall.

I dont think I could skid that far on asphalt tongue.gif. I let it go a good 20 ft (I was surprised it stayed so straight).

I might take the car to autozone and get the alt checked... That would of been the last thing I would of expected to check from a result of this (why I asked here). My car's been starting without probs though...
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:01 PM

^^ That I never knew... never really slam brakes that much to find out I guess LOL. Done it like twice since I started driving LOL. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Your car stalls when you slam the brakes? Mine doesn't.

I just recently had some problems with my braking system so I keep on checking now and then with a power stop, and my car has never stalled. In gear and in neutral.
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:19 PM

^^^ Not to get off topic mang, but think about it. When you 'forget' to push in the cluch when you come to a red light, your car shudders and then stalls. Why? Because your brakes are producing more friction than power the car can produce to overcome this friction.

locking up the brakes is no different than comming to a complete stop (just ALOT quicker tongue.gif) even though the car is still moving, the tires are stoped (hence the drive train will stop too).
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Hmm, I don't want to get off topic too much but your saying with the clutch in, tires locked your engine will stall? After your reply we'll just leave it at that tongue.gif

You can also check your alternator yourself, I bet you will charged labour costs.
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:32 PM

^^^ We agree, I was talking about cluch out with ham... thats where we strayed.

QUOTE (Casper)
If the cluch was enguaged, the car would of stalled when the tires locked up.

Faith said that autozone will test the alt for free.

I am still trying to logically figure out how the alt would of caused this.... I mean my bat isint dead so worst case scenario with a dead alt, everything would of run of the bat... mabe I am over analyizing the situation tongue.gif:
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:40 PM

It might've just been a harsh stop that jarred your electrical system. Your overanalyzing maybe. Get it checked anyway. Maybe wheel hop in reverse LOL. I know when I launch in the GSX my windshield wipers would turn on, etc.

BTW, personally I thought when I say, brake to 25 in 5th gear, the car shuddered simply because the RPMS were too low for the engine to pull while moving. You could not touch the brake and when you hit that 1300ishRPM area on the Tib it shudders becase of RPM. Maybe I'm stupid though. LOL.
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:43 PM

It is possible that you did trigger something electically. I know a LOT of cars have fuel cut off devices in case of an accident.. If your tib was a carbed car, I would swear you sloshed fuel in the bowls of the carbs and starved it for gas...

which is not a bad thought, how was your fuel tank?
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (hamhead)
It might've just been a harsh stop that jarred your electrical system.

thats what i was thinking. ive had dash lights go out a couple times hard braking or accelerating. i know where my problem is though. a good push with my ffet on the wires behind the dash, and the problem goes away.
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:49 PM

I filled up the tank yesterday... Its at 3/4.

Keep up the thoughts... I was almost thinking about the fuel cutoff (my thinking if 'the car thought it was in an accident' which is why I thought airbag right away tongue.gif). This could of caused the car to stall but with the internals still in motion it started back up after releasing the brakes (returning the fuel) etc...

If this was the case... dang these new cars and all their sensors laugh.gif:

Tibby01: It wasnt really a harsh stop though... it was on a snow covered road.