Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Buying A New Car Soon?

Old 02-26-2009 | 07:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I went and checked out 2 new Genesis Coupes last night, and man am I settled on getting one. The green is such a beautiful color, you can't even believe it till you see it in person. Anyways, since I am holding off and going to actually ORDER the one I want this winter, I thought I'd check a few things.

First, there was a $5,999 dealer markup on both of the coupes there. They were hand crossed out to $4,999 each. That's right, $5000 extra, per car, for nothing. I, for one, am NOT going to pay that. I've never bought a brand new car, so I actually wanted to look up some advice on it.

So I went looking for a few websites to check out what kind of advice they have, and found this treasure trove.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

I HIGHLY recommend everyone here going through there and reading it all. It's not that long, and really hooks you up with some good tactics and strategies for working with the dealer to get your car at a decent price.

I don't care how good Hyundai is doing, I'm not paying over MSRP.
Old 02-26-2009 | 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

LOL. For my Accent I paid under MSRP when everything was all done. Thats rediculous but they will get it Im sure since there isnt many Coupes out yet Im sure.
Old 02-26-2009 | 11:54 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Yeah, its nuts to pay $5000 over the actual cost but that's you dealer's profit and salesman's commission check. However as Ericy said the Genesis Coupe is so new that I doubt you'll be in one for anything less than the sticker. At least until the I4 comes out. I plan to get one myself but I may wait a year. Right now all of the dealers in my area have a waiting list on both the V6 and I4 manuals (mostly track models) and every one is trying to out bid eachother. Add to that the fact that only ones available are autos the demand right now is insane. Unless your that desperate for one wait for year end after Christmas when they are all over stocked and trying to get rid of them before taxes compile on the 1st. Then it'll be easy to cut 3k or more off of the price.
Old 02-26-2009 | 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Great site. Lol I loved those letters from angry car salesmen.

Luckily for me, my parents are very good negotiators lol. My mom basically knows every detail of their great credit, knows everything about finnancing and such, basically all the legal and money stuff. Then my dad is a great negotiator, and a fairly intimidating man to get in an argument with lol. And he knows everything that is needed about cars.

That site taught me alot tho so it was nice. I still think when I buy my next car i'll bring them along tho haha.

good find redz. fing02.gif
Old 02-26-2009 | 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

The pricks I was buying my 2.0T Track Version Coupe from want 28k. I kindly asked for my deposit back and told them to go pound salt.
Old 02-26-2009 | 04:43 PM

Check that entire site out guys, it gives you a lot of helpful information. I'm going in with a folder showing what the quotes are online, and their dealer cost for the car, and we'll work from there. I will not pay over MSRP, period, and neither should you.

Tanc, I'd get through that entire site, and go back and see them. if they don't want to deal with you, go to their competitor, or contact Hyundai.
Old 02-26-2009 | 08:02 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i completely agree with you on everything. get any photos of your first encounter? yeah i've been hearing they're great in person, and the quality makes you spoiled.

thanks for the website! i'll look over it when i buy a Genesis sedan, given if it's new which it likely won't be. i've screwed around the dealership before. ok the best time is when they want to clear out their inventory and sometimes you can actually get a good deal. we almost bought a brand new accent for $6,000 one time because my dad brought it down, i felt bad when the salesman spent 3 hours with us and a full test drive which he picked up the car himself and a then 13 year old me told his dad to hold his wallet. lol poor salesman ah well.
Old 02-26-2009 | 08:19 PM

QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Feb 26 2009, 05:43 PM)
Tanc, I'd get through that entire site, and go back and see them. if they don't want to deal with you, go to their competitor, or contact Hyundai.

LOL, that was Yamaha, Redz. Unless you are tlaking about something completely different.

Paying over MSRP is ridiculous but they will get it from people right now.
Old 02-26-2009 | 09:59 PM

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Feb 26 2009, 08:02 PM)
i completely agree with you on everything. get any photos of your first encounter? yeah i've been hearing they're great in person, and the quality makes you spoiled.

thanks for the website! i'll look over it when i buy a Genesis sedan, given if it's new which it likely won't be. i've screwed around the dealership before. ok the best time is when they want to clear out their inventory and sometimes you can actually get a good deal. we almost bought a brand new accent for $6,000 one time because my dad brought it down, i felt bad when the salesman spent 3 hours with us and a full test drive which he picked up the car himself and a then 13 year old me told his dad to hold his wallet. lol poor salesman ah well.

I've got a few photos, but it was late. I'll get them up soon, just phone pictures though.

Maybe I'll go back tomorrow.

BTW, I doubt they'll be getting much more than MSRP if that, as soon as production is at full capacity, they'll have them sitting in the dealerships and ready to go out. I'm learning a lot from that site.
Old 02-26-2009 | 10:04 PM

Ya but as of now they arent fully available. Who knows how bad people want them and what they will pay to get them right away.