Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Bought a shotgun revolver

Old 04-12-2010 | 12:07 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent
Default Bought a shotgun revolver

So I was looking for a new toy, and I decided on a Taurus Judge Public defender .410/45LC revolver.
Why?

Because.

I know it's inaccurate past 20 feet or so but honestly, for a self defense item, w/i 20 feet is more than enough range.

5 shot, double or single action. Feels extra beefy.

Pulling back the hammer is a bit stout... I think that could loosen up with use, but the manual says i can loosen that up but I don't feel like taking it apart right now.

I read reviews that the trigger pull is ridiculous, but honestly... it's not that bad. Probably about a 10lb trigger pull.

I'll try to post a range report with pictures in a week or so.

I also need to find a good IWB holster. I think crossbreed makes one, but I worry about the kydex messing up the finish. I'd prefer a leather one. Any ideas?

I dub her "The Pubic Defender"

Old 04-12-2010 | 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Holy horseshit 10lbs!!!
Old 04-12-2010 | 01:43 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I really like the Judge.

I have been considering a Raging Judge Magnum ever since it was announced. It's not like the .410 and .45 Colt are puny, but the .454 Casull is pretty epic. Being able to chamber and fire all 3 makes it pretty awesome.

I did a lot of research before, so I figured I would share what I found and what I decided to do if I bought one:

The .410 is way down on power from what it looks like on paper. With buckshot it has 9mm balls, but the weight of the balls and velocity is below a 9mm, so energy is significantly below a 9mm. At least there are 5 of them though, that really accounts for something. .410 slugs are useless, don't buy them or consider them for this. They are inferior in all ways to the .45 Colt.

I decided that if I got it for defense, I would load a heavy bird shot, followed by a buckshot, followed by a .45 Colt, then buckshot, then .45 Colt.

I also like the looks of the Taurus Circuit Judge carbine. If they make one in .454 Casull I would consider that as well.
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Looks nice. I'm more of a distance shooter myself.
Old 04-12-2010 | 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i seriously concidered buying one until my local gun shop told me "we send it more taurus revolvers for warranty work than all of the rest we sell combined"

and after owning a pt145 and having it jam after 3 shots, sent in for warranty, and having it return jamming after 1 shot

i decided to sell the taurus and never look at the brand again

there are videos around of taurus revolvers exploding in the hands of the shooter while i HOPE it never happens to you, the chance of it happening keeps me from buying one