Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Bill 4437

Old 04-02-2006 | 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

WTF does owning non-US made products have to do with illegal immigration?
Why do you think these products are made in other countries, because the cost of labor is cheaper. So it's ok that people are under paid as long as it doesn't happen here.
I am not a hypocrite about the Columbus/home invasion comparison. The indians should have killed Columbus and all to follow. They didn't, so it's their fault. It would be my fault if I let you stay on my couch after coming into my house uninvited and setting up camp also.
Native Americans got taken advantage of. They welcomed us in and we killed them and took their land. They went prepared and didn't expect it. But because they didn't kill everyone at first site it was their fault and just because they let them stay on their couch they should have expected they would get killed. Whatever!

Also BTW the cost of labor for a head of lettuce is $0.05/head.
Ok, if you say so. Let's look at the McDonald's double cheeseburger. It sells for $1.00, 50% of that is cost of food, 3% of that is paper and 27% of that is labor. You can't really control the cost of food (remember that labor is also part of the price we pay for the food from the supplier). Same with paper. But you can control labor. Now in my case my stores average hourly rate is well above $10 an hour (way above minimum wage!). So basically we can either lower our average rate or increase prices to the consumer. Almost all business operate in this manner. So add .05 to every head of lettuce. Multiply that times 1 million units a year and you've taken $50k from the producers profit. Not going to happen. There's a lot that goes into producing any product and manufacturers do what they can to keep costs down and profits up. And no one should be paid below minimum wage illegal or not.

and you can fill minimum wage positions the old fashioned way, with teenagers
Start treating teens like "illegals" and you'll have a whole other issue on your hands. Teenagers make up a large part of the workforce.

There aren't big enough penalties for hiring illegal immigrants, and the law absolutely needs enforced. These people are being taken advantage of by American standards, so they're being taken advantage of.
100% correct. Good Job! Remeber that American standards part.

None of the workers above work anything in the neighborhood of an unsustainable wage, and I'd say they're not crappy jobs either. My fireman friend makes $23/hour with excellent benefits, early retirement, and a pension. Police make more than double minimum wage at least, and have good benefits despite having to have little to no training prior to hiring. Teachers get paid a reasonable amount considering they get 2 months off in the summer.
Just when I thought you were getting it, silly boy. My wife makes more than half what your fireman friend makes. As a CAKE DECORATOR. These people put there lives on the line everyday for us and that's all they get for it. Teachers get paid a reasonable amount! These people are responsible for shaping the lives of our children and you think they get compensated enough! Have you taken a look at the school systems lately. Get a clue!

Yes, I do. Do you have any idea how much it costs to buy a 60" plasma screen? It's thousands of dollars. I suppose that if I want a plasma I should just go steal it because I'm too damn lazy to work to pay for it? I have many friends who did it the right way. It can be done. Your remark is just plain stupid.
When the majority of these people come here they don't have a dime to their name. So you expect them to come up with the $5000-$10000 in lawyers fees right off the bat to start the legalization process. Add to that the fact that the government has limited visas and are not accepting as many applications for legalization since 9/11. They are not making it any easier for those who want to do it the right way! I have personally helped many of these people financially through the legalization process. So I think I'm doing my part. And yes I do know how much ia 60" costs and plasma is a waste of money. I have a 61"DLP.

I guess you're saying that it's okay to not pay bills if it's hard
Um, if you make, let's say, $40k a year (more than most civil servants and teachers, by the way) and you have an accident that you are responsible for paying the medical bills for which incurred $100k in medical bills. How long do you think your debt will be "unpaid" and do you think that the doctors should treat you or your family if you can't pay the bill? My last son's birth cost over $100k due to complications and if I didn't have insurance, that bill would still be unpaid today. You can talk sh!t, but until it happens to you...

So here you're hypocritical because above you said that a business should do whatever necessary to make a buck, but here you're saying a doctor/hospital should go ahead and treat everyone even if they can't pay
I'm not being hypocrital, because I made no such statement. I did state what the model of a profitable business is. I do disagree with hospitals providing medical service to illegals and then sticking the rest of us with the bill. Those Hospitals you listed are a small number of hospitals compared to the total number of "health care" facilities in the US. And I'm sure there were more factors involved than unpaid bills. The health care system in the US is broken and we can blame it all on illegals.

No, not to the degree we are here. We send money that way but not near enough to take care of most of the population. If we did there wouldn't be so many dying every day.
But why are we sending any when there are so many dying here. Maybe we expect something for our good faith. I wonder what Africa has, that we could really use more of now?

I don't think I do. It's the fault of the Americans for not building a wall a long time ago and stopping this problem from developing
Well walls worked well for every other country/civilization throughout history.

And just when I think there's no hope for you:
It's the greediness of American companies trying to make an extra buck. It's the ignorance of the average American for supporting this practice by buying the cheapest option regardless of the source.
We are all guilty of this.

I remember the first time I ever saw a Mexican in my home town. I was like, "Wow, look, it's a Mexican! That's cool." Now the place is overrun with illegal immigrants who harvest salal brush (floral arrangements), mushrooms (food), ferns (floral arrangements), cedar boughs (wreaths, etc.), and cascara bark (laxative) from the surrounding forests. This causes problems. This destroys a lot of the natural beauty of the area. The illegal immigrants constantly trespass, even on posted land. There are a lot of shootings, stabbings, and robberies in outlying areas now. There is a lot of poaching of deer and elk in the area, including a case where 32 elk were killed and put in a refrigerated truck by a group of illegal immigrants where their only penalty was deportation despite the fact that that would get me 10 years in prison. I have also been chased and threatened multiple times personally. There are a lot of sides to the illegal immigration situation you have probably never seen. I want them all gone. There is no good reason for them to be here in the first place.
It sounds to me like there are a lot of sides you have never seen. You only talk about your town. I have seen a lot and have been exposed to these issues since I have been old enough to work. I deal with this issue everyday in my business and always try to stay on the right side of the fence or "wall". I can tell you based on what I've seen in my life and been exposed to I have no issues with my families pending move...
to New Mexico.

What I am trying to say is that there a valid points on both sides of the argument. But what people aren't realizing is that if we were to remove all of the illegals, this country would still be completely fvcked up and probably would get worse because we'd have one less excuse or buck to pass.
Don't get me wrong with that statement either. Even completely fvcked up, it's still the best country in the world to live in from every aspect. It just seems like some people are trying to blame all the ills of the US on immigrants. We elect the politicians who run the government. The government has the ability to fix the problem, but why don't they...?
Old 04-02-2006 | 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

i totaly agree sparticus stupid kids....
this is what i seen with my own eyes i swear i thought i was seeing things but the news confermed it l8r that night. i saw kids walking down the street repeating MEXICO! MEXICO! MEXICO! waving mexican flags. i thought there was a revolution hapening lol

anyway the news people would ask the kids why are you protesting? and most didnt even know what ws goin on or they would say they are trying to send mexicans to jail or us to jail. laugh.gif the whole thing is a joke.. well atleast the protesting.

i think it was three weeks ago or so kids got suspended from school for having brown pride shirts on. they had a protest and the kids were allowed to wear them. now i dunno but if i went to school with i white pride shirt on i gaurantee i would be expeled and no one would care.

as far as the bill goes i hope they do pass it. as it is rite now i would say 60% to 75% of my town doesnt speak english and they have had to up our taxes for our hospitals because who are the hospitals gonna charge? the fake social security number? or hope the fake address is good? illegal immegration needs to be stoped. this isnt 100 years ago when population here was 25% of it is now. we have a different social structure , there is room but not for illegals. if they keep coming over illegaly u will se this great country turned into a third wourld country. or better yet if they don't beef up these borders there will be more terrorist attacks.

10 years if things keep goin the way they are california will only speak spanish. the wages here will drop because why should i have u do it for 10$ when i can have pedro do it for 5$? or how would you like to call up a automated voice thingy and them say press 1 for english and proceed in spanish.

^^ there trying to fix it with this bill :|
Old 04-02-2006 | 07:21 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I know similiar threads on other forums have been locked, but I'll continue to keep this open as long as everyone can be civil. wink.gif
Old 04-02-2006 | 09:41 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

kb5133, I'm not picking through that mess to quote you.

Sounds like you like to think the way you do because you're all about taking advantage of cheap labor. I'm not, and don't like the way a lot of illegal immigrants behave when they're here. I feel there's nothing I can say that will change your mind at all, so i won't bother trying. You keep making your $1.00 burgers, I'll keep buying my $5.00+ burgers elsewhere. You can rationalize it all you want, whatever it takes to sleep at night.
Old 04-03-2006 | 12:50 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

QUOTE(Visionz @ Apr 3 2006, 01:21 AM)
I know similiar threads on other forums have been locked, but I'll continue to keep this open as long as everyone can be civil. wink.gif

Yeah, but I'm suprised at some of the things people are saying. Some of the things are like "wow, you really believe that?"

I still believe they should get minimum wage, the illegal immigrants. Just to prove how lazy and gluttonous America is.

lol... my girlfriend's mother's husband is illegal. Dude sits on his ass ALL DAY.
Old 04-03-2006 | 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

deadhorse.gif
Sounds like you like to think the way you do because you're all about taking advantage of cheap labor

Well you obviously missed the part where I said the average hourly rate for my stores is over $10 an hour. Which is well over minimum wage unless you live in San Francisco. Not exactly cheap!

I sleep fine knowing that the people I help are trying to make better lives for themselves, not biting the hand that feeds them. When you start helping people to become legal out of your own business then you can talk about "sleeping at night"

I'm not trying to get anyone to change their opinions. I'm just saying there's a lot more components to the issue then what some people are discussing.
And stop buyiung $5 cheesburgers and save your money for some medical insurance. j/k smile.gif
grouphug.gif
Old 04-04-2006 | 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Dammit, I wasted my time debating on this issue at Hyundaiperformance.com. I should of came here!! this is where it's at!!! breaker.gif
Old 04-04-2006 | 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

What you know about HA? It's always where it's at!
Old 04-05-2006 | 02:00 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

My friend is a Manager at Burger King in Indiana.

4 Mexicans requested next Monday off so they can join the demonstration in Indiana. My friend told me he let them all off Monday because of the fear of getting his ass kicked by 4 big Mexican guys.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:55 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

QUOTE(Korean_Redneck @ Apr 5 2006, 01:00 AM)
My friend is a Manager at Burger King in Indiana.

4 Mexicans requested next Monday off so they can join the demonstration in Indiana. My friend told me he let them all off Monday because of the fear of getting his ass kicked by 4 big Mexican guys.

[sarcasm]Oh, come on. We all know there's no such thing as big Mexican guys.[/sarcasm]

Buy that is a stupid reason to let someone off work, especially from a place like a fast food restaurant where it's generally really hard to get a specific day you want off.