Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Best Laptops?

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:24 AM
Banned

to hit on the autoCAD thing.. you will want at least 2 GB to run a full version of autoCAD, depending on what type of files your dealing with really matters also..

right now, im working on a 26 mile waterline, with referenced topo contours and aerial images at 6" resolution. my computer at work has a pretty decent HT processor and 3GB of ram and it still crashs a ton.

if your working on drawings with just linework and no references, any new laptop should be perfectly fine for running and operating autoCAD..

you wont want to have other programs going at the same time though like photoshop or 3DSmax or anything like that.

and at home, i run LDD3, MDT6, and AutoCAD2004 on a 4 year old shitty Inspiron with a 1.4ghz processor and 1GB of ram and never have an issue unless i have photoshop open or something. it just cant handle huge drawings like i work on at work.

fyi, right now, my autocad.exe is using ~1,656,024 KB of ram so like 1.5GB lol
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, same with ArcGIS if you ever will need it. 1 GB of ram will run it okay with few layers, but for analysis, modeling, and real life sized projects, you need at least 2 GB of RAM, and a peppy processor.
Old 05-07-2008 | 11:48 AM

The AutoCAD work I will be doing is Interior Design, so just floor plans and elevations, nothing too too crazy (I hope, hah). No GIS as of now, maybe someday if I decide to work for the building dept in Toronto or something.

I know I have to have at least 2GB for my program of study anyway, and Dell is one of the choices for laptops if you decide to rent or buy from the school (which, fvck that they over charge you and I can get a better deal while Im still in NY).

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm definetly leaning towards the Vostro but as I said will have to double check with my school first.
Old 05-13-2008 | 02:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

a brand by the name of everex is kicking ass and taking names right now. i owned a 17" awesome laptop that i sold for practically what i paid for it new after one year. tons of good reviews on newegg, they just launched a nice new website, and have been a new brand at walmart and have sold out nearly everything they produce.

look into them. for price vs. performance i don't know if there is anything better. and my laptop held up perfectly as far as reliability goes. being in design you will probably want to pick up a 17" one as well. they can be had for around 700 with like 160gb, 2gig memory and the glossy lcd screen is the best i've ever seen.
Old 05-13-2008 | 07:46 AM

I have a dell xps 1210 and it's never given me any real problems, and I've never had a problem with their customer service, the other day my CD drive just disappeared and they fixed it in about like 45 seconds with their online help thing. I think the my computer with a bunch of upgraded options, I got it a year ago so I dont remember what all was $1200 or something around there and I love it, its nice and compact and never given me any real problems.
Old 05-13-2008 | 08:15 AM

Yeah Im still looking into them. I won't be buying until probably July or August anyway.

I actually was, against my better judgement, at Best Buy yesterday and took a look at their selection. Not too huge but they did have the Dell Inspirons. I know a couple people said they are crap, but they looked pretty nice to me, nice and light, nice big glossy screen, and 3GB hard drive with 160 GB RAM, for $600. I'm still leaning towards the Vostro, but after seeing the Inspiron in person I have a better idea of what it's like.
Old 05-13-2008 | 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (Tibbychick @ May 13 2008, 10:15 AM)
3GB hard drive with 160 GB RAM

flip that around

anyways the vostro is a cheap machine designed for small business on a budget and looks like it too. You'd be happier with one of those purple inspirons so it matches your car for the same price. They are the same quality.
Old 05-13-2008 | 09:51 AM

^lol. Well, then maybe I'll get the Inspiron. I still am unsure. I'll have to see what kind of deals I can score mid-summer.