Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Bad News....

Old 03-24-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad News....

Hey guys,

around 2:30pm this afternoon... my car has been decomissioned.. and here are the pictures:

http://photos.yahoo.com/skuipers@sbcglobal.net
(Click on Car Accident 3-24-03)

Here's the story:

I'm going east bound on a two lane road, (two lanes of traffic both ways + center turn lane). I'm in the #1 lane (fast lane). I'm doing a little faster than I should (50+ in a 45 mph zone - stupid me) An old guy in a Nissian Quest wants to go westbound from a street to the right of me. He pulls out into traffic and covers both of my lanes. I try to swerve around behind me, however, since he came to a stop, I had no where else to go but into the rear driver quarter panel of his car.

The front of my car is a mess, as you can see from the pictures. His rear quarter panel took very little damage compared to my car. I wasn't going fast enough to deploy my airbags, but the front took heavy damage. Myself, my passanger and the other driver are all fine. Of course, I'm very shaken up over the whole incident still... Damn, and I just finished putting on the kit about 2 months ago and getting ready for show season.

Now I will have to see what the insurance company has to say about it. The police wanted to say I was going 70-80 mph before I hit my brakes. Which is BS, even though my skid was very long, I have soft rubber compound tires, so it would leave nice big black marks on the ground. And I didn't hit him hard enough to deploy the airbags. I just hope it all works out. If I can fix her, I will, but if I have to total her and get a new car.. I guess I will have to...
Old 03-24-2003, 08:15 AM

my condolences... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
i'm glad to hear everyone involved was ok. it really sucks the cuda wasn't so lucky. good luck with the insurance people, may they grant you the $$$ you deserve.

the cuda curse continues.

[ March 24, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: phorq ]
Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 AM

yes.. again Spiffy.. sorry to hear about the car... makes it worse for me seeing those pics cuz you helped me out on how to get my kit on... good luck with the insurance company and get another tib if it is totalled ...

Later..

oh.. and i HOPE the cuda curse doesn't continue phorq.. first Fast.Shark, now Spiffy.. am i next? frown
Old 03-24-2003, 09:43 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Once again... ahem... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You know any, ANY help you need man, repair busy work anything I'll help you out. Just tell me she's not doomed and I can breath again. Well I guess to fix her up, you'll want a CF hood, new fender, Bumper looks toasted so 1 bumper. How's your wheel (scratches, anything). Angela's gonna cry. Call me up man.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:02 AM

Dude, that totally sucks. Nice pix though.
Glad to hear, it sounds like no one was hurt.
It totally looks like you were speeding.
Them is some long skid marks. Perhaps not as long as the ones in your undies though??
(sorry for the cheap shot)

I have soft compound tires too, and how they have reacted for me is incredible. Very short stopping distances in emergency situations, with stock brakes.
Either way, at fault in a rear ender is tuff on the insurance coverage. Did they know about all your mods? Are the police still investigating? Were you charged?

Hope you get that thing back on the road soon. It looks totally dope.

Sending a subliminal get well soon card to your car.

Good luck

don't forget there is always someone in a worse situation...photo attached, maybe not?

[ March 24, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Tony Montana ]
Old 03-24-2003, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

phorq:
the cuda curse continues.
Exactly what I was thinking, good thing I don't have a Tib. Sorry to hear about ya car man, I loved the look of your White Cuda, but oh wells I guess. Hopefully you can figure everything out, good luck.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the support guys.

I think she will still run, and can put around town, if I got the radiator patched up. It had a radiator leak, so I didn't bother trying to start her up.

I didn't get charged with anything. No tickets were issued to either party. They just took a report and let us both go.

He was more at fault, because he stopped in the middle of both of the lanes, where there was a left turn center lane for him to go into. However, yes, I was going faster than I should had been going. Which is why I'm a complete idiot. (btw: I think my tires maybe harder rubber then, I don't know. Falken Zien? tires) But even if that guy had kept rolling through the street, I would had not hit him, but the fact is he stopped.

Now as I keep thinking more and more about what happened, the more pissed off at myself I get. I keep thinking I should have just turned into the street that he was coming out of. The speed I was going by the time I hit him, I could have taken a quick turn into that side street. I dunno, it just all happened way too fast. I know I could have made the corner if I had turned into it. But then again, I couldn't see around the corner because of the brick wall and it is a neighborhood. Much better hitting a car than some kids that might be playing in the street... course hitting nothing would have been best of all.

I don't know what's going to happen now. I just have to wait for a call from the claims office tomorrow and see what they would like to do with this whole situation.

From what I saw, I need:
Radiator
Cone Filter (For AEM intake)
driver's side headlight
Driver's side turn signal
front bumper & crash pad (is that what the brace under the bumper is called?)
Driver's fender
New Hood

I believe that's most of the big stuff, other than seeing if I need to cut off the front of the body and replace it with another. Which might very well be so.

I don't believe they will total my car, because my engine and suspension were not touched. I could still turn the wheels and everything just fine. As you can see from the damage on the van, I didn't hit it real hard, but hard enough to mess my car up nicely.

I'll see what my insurance is going to say. If they want to total my car.... I don't know what I'll do... if I want to get a new tiburon or not. I might even just let go of the tib and go back to my '96 Monte Carlo Z34.

One thing I have to say about this car, I haven't heard of anyone that has gotten in wrecks in a Tiburon that hasn't been able to walk away from it. (With the exception of that one picture. I don't know the story behind that... it looks like it hurt.. alot) But in the 3 accidents I've been involved in with this car, I've been ok everytime. (1. I was hit on the side by someone crossing parking lots instead of driving down the lanes. 2. Rear ended. 3. This one)

I feel like my car has some big "Hit me" sign on it. I really need to find it and take it off. This is getting rediculous.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:30 AM

Chris, I have been trying to call you, but I get a busy or something everytime I call. Did you get a different cell by any chance?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:58 AM

hey man.
go easy on yourself. **** happens..
the car does not look like a write off.
and yeah the guy in the pictuer died.
he was a teenager. It was not his fault, airbag didnt go off then either????????????????what up with that?
That happened up here in Toronto.
Since then I kinda feared the car a little more. It does crush easy.
Just thank , you know, you were not hurt or no one else. Thats the main thing right

Dont let it get to you.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:14 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

sorry dude. The new number is 909 234 7880