Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

An Automotive history of me.

Old 08-28-2001 | 02:56 AM

i learned to drive using a suzuki samari and a sundance turbo that my aunt and uncle had.

but my first car was a 85 sentra. it was a hand-down from my aunt. i love it b/c it was my first car. it seemed quick to me but it kept cutting off when it felt like it. turned out to be a whole in the fuel line that i fixed. the parents weren't buying it so i had to sell it.

then i drove my mom's 89 hyundai excell, not fast but got me around. the girls were feeling me b/c i was the only one on my block that had access to a ride.

the first car i brought was a 94 isuzu trooper ls. loved it, LOVED IT! i used to go offroading in it. had lots of appearance mods on it as well as intake and exhuast. it wasn't fast either but it had 4wd and the power to pull up tree stumps! that vehicle bit the dust when it too started to cut off when it felt like it. when it decided to cut on I95 my parents decided it was time for another. *sold for 3X i paid for it*

i was going to get an elantra but the guy was being an ass and didn't understand the concept of paying cash for a car. so we ended up getting a sephia. sometimes i wish i had the elantra for the power accessories and hp/torque. but i love cleopatra (my sephia) b/c she can hold her own on the beltway and she is kinda cute.
Old 08-28-2001 | 03:03 AM

Short list of cars that I've had:

'91 Honda Accord 2-door. Pure stock. First car, just to get me to high school and back. Had a few small "incidents" with it, and pushed it to a top speed of 120 on a not-yet-opened highway near my house (for JVX, who'd know - 161). Was strapped into that car for insurance purposes. The Tib was picked up as a replacement for my mom's '95 Del Sol got totalled.

'96.5 Tib - picked up and driven by mom for the first few years of it's life. Well cared for. Was bestowed upon me for Christmas 1999. Had the title actually swapped over to my name as a college graduation present this past May.

Previous cars in my childhood from my parents:
'99 Sonata GLS - dad's car. Nice vehicle! Haven't driven it much, but he's very pleased with it's quality. Bought it because of how well the Tib's done since we bought it.

'95 Del Sol - not a bad little two-seater. Not too into the interior styling, but I thought the little cover-panel over the radio was a smart idea for something that could conceivably be parked and left topless.

'93 Accord - dad's car before the Sonata. Nothing stellar, but the car I learned stick on.

'91 S-10 - dad's mid-life crisis. Candy apple red, limo tint, phat chrome rims. Too bad underneath the hood was only a 4-cyl.

mid-80's Chrysler Laser - this car was BADASS. Part of the "more goodies than you'll ever need" period of auto interiors. All gauges were digital LEDs and a three-screen center console. Fun stuff.
Old 08-28-2001 | 08:38 AM

Heh. If we're going to get into parent's cars...

The first car that I remember was my Dad's 1966 Pontiac Stratochief. It was the first car that my dad ever bought new. That car lasted until 1997 when my cousin ran it out of oil. I think it had over 600,000 miles on the odometer at the time. The engine had been rebuilt a number of times, but the car still looked really good (Well, considering it was painted pale yellow. smile.gif)

The car that I may never forgive my dad for selling (And not to me) was a 1969 Buick Riviera. It had a 430 cid big block under the hood. I learned to drive (At age 10) in that car. I also learned that if you were really careful when you took the keys out, you could leave the ignition unlocked. Dad sold the car when I was 15. I didn't speak to him for 2 months.

In 1985 (when he sold the Buick) Dad bought a 1978 Ford F150 Supercab. 460 cid big block engine. He had it converted to propane when propane was really cheap. He's still driving it. He fixes the rust every few years, so it still looks good, even.

My mom has had a string of quite unremarkable vehicles. The first I remember was a Ford Pinto. (The year before they made them explosive) After that it was a Mazda GLC, then she had a Pontiac Accadian (What a serious POS!) then the Plymouth Sundance (Which she gave to me just in time for everything to break. She's currently driving her 1994 Toyota Paseo -- which will probably live a much longer life. She says that it reminds her of the car that she had when she was single -- A Sunbeam Alpine.
Old 08-28-2001 | 09:25 AM

Well, here is my list of cars.

My first car was my Mom's 87 Chrysler LeBaron. 0-60 in just under a minute, and if you don't want your windows open when you drive, turn on the AC cause it was just as cold as an open window on a HOT summer day!

Next I got an 89 Mazda 626 for $3000. Kept it for a year and sold it for half the price. I got an exhaust TIP and a "Mazda Speed" decal for it.... boy was I a dork!

I got a 94 Ford Probe and installed a high wing spoiler and a moonroof and had it for 4 months until on the way home from a Superbowl party some lady totalled my car by rearending me, and she had no insurance and after lawyers fees and all I got $1200 out of the $6200 I payed for it.

I was pissed off, and with the help of my dad got a loan and came close to getting a, *GULP* (sorry to say), 2000 Honda Civic EX, but I still wanted to look around... so I then went to a Mitsubishi dealership and wanted a 99 Eclipse GSX, but my dad insisted I get a brand new car and get a 2000 MIRAGE, so I said lets go to the Hyundai/Subaru/Isuzu/VW dealership down the road as a last resort. At this time, I never seen a brand new Tiburon. That's when I saw the love of my life, my 2000 Cobalt Blue Tibby. I bought it the next day and had it for a year now and still love it.
Old 08-28-2001 | 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

My mom had a Mazda RX-3 Wagon! With two rotors in there man! But it was before I was even born so that's pretty bunk.

oh and as an update to my car, it's back and PERFECT! ::knock on wood::

And Iago, the first time I ever went over 100 was on 161! It's right outside my house and all... rolleyes.gif
Old 08-28-2001 | 10:57 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

No one else has owned Minitrucks or Sport Trucks??? sad.gif
Old 08-28-2001 | 12:06 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Lo' my pops has a 94 Nissan Hardbody, it's served him well, nothing done to it, I'm not as wild as you man!
Old 08-28-2001 | 12:22 PM

Had a '84 Toyota 4x4. But it was an off-road beast! When I bought it, it had a chevy 350 that was "touched" and a 4-speed out of one of those old farm trucks. Bull-low gear and then you had 3 gears. Had a NP 205 transfer case attached to the stock drive shafts. Stock axels went out to 33x12.5x15 tires. All this was under the stock body that was lifted 3 inches and the suspension that rode like a tank. Couldn't even tell you how much suspension lift it had but a friend had a '85, and when you looked out my windows you could easily see right over his truck!
Just asked my dad and he thinks it had about 10 inches of lift.
That truck was awesome!!! You could easily spin all 4 tires on the street and they howled like you would not believe!

Not really a sport truck in your sense but a blast to own, none the less!
Old 08-29-2001 | 12:54 AM

I have owned so many cars, it is hard for me to go into all of them. I forget most of the details of 90% of them because I hardly have a memory. This is unfortunate.

Here is a quick list and I will attempt to keep them in order:

2001 Hyundai Tib, no mods yet, plans for an intercooler and a supercharger

1996 Honda Civic, cool paint job, wheels and stereo, just a "looks" car. No performance mods.

(Now this is where it get messy, there is no order here. I would sometimes have a new car every week wink.gif )

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (boring)

Too many Monte Carlos and Cutlasses to count (all older than 1984, when they still had guts. Most with t-tops)

1972 Barracuda (I restored this one from a rust bucket with no frame rails)

1984 Grand Prix with t-tops. droped an LT1 engine into it.

some random year of S-10 with the LT1 engine, lowered and with hydraulics... fun

lowered Astro van with hydraulics

1992 Buick Riviera (cool touch screen controls)

1986 Ford Crown Victoria LTD (looked like a cop car.)

1999 Jeep YJ

A few big, four door supercharged v-6s. (all older)

No real beaters, ever. I have been pretty lucky to get cars that I mostly like enough to make look better or have come to me new enough that they look good already.

My next car purchase will hopefully be a 1987 Buick Grand National T-Type, but I will not give up my Tib.
Old 08-29-2001 | 01:24 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally posted by TibGrrl:

2001 Hyundai Tib, no mods yet, plans for an intercooler and a supercharger

1972 Barracuda (I restored this one from a rust bucket with no frame rails)

some random year of S-10 with the LT1 engine, lowered and with hydraulics... fun

lowered Astro van with hydraulics

I think I'm in love! *lol* Any chick that drives a Tib, does frame off restorations, or drops big engines into cars, or better yet...rolls around in a custom lowrider with juice..is okay in my book!