Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Anyone In Here Lift Weights

Old 02-09-2008 | 09:29 AM

I was wondering if any of you lift and take anything like protein powders and what not.

A buddy of mine takes this.. http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_on055.htm
Im goin to take this.. http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_on354.htm
Made by same company, but has 60g of protein and like 220 or 260 calories per serving. I weight 190 and am 6'4'' lol Im tryin to put on muscle mass/ some weight...
After about a month of takin this protein mix im goin to take NOxplode... http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_bs053.htm this stuff works crazy good, my buddy takes it before we lift and im tellin ya there is a big difference.

Anybody recommend something else that they know works??

HGH!!!!! MUSCLE MILLLKKKK!!!! lol had to
Old 02-09-2008 | 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

What are your goals as far as lifting... do you want just the beach body or do you want to have some good strenght too?

as far as proteins go some of the brands I have had a good experience with are isopure and muscletech. Don't use the protein as a crutch! What really needs to change is your diet. You need to increase your protein intake through what you eat as well as calories. Fish is an excellent source of protein as well as the omega3 fatty acid you get from fish. i could go on for a page or two about this, but let me know what you are looking to do and i may be able help ya with some of my advice and hopefully some other folks will chime in.
Old 02-09-2008 | 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I think those are great products, you seem to have a good plan. But as he said, diet is the most important, you have to eat more and more often. Eat a lot of protein (steak, chicken, fish), and drink a lot of water.
Old 02-09-2008 | 11:22 AM

ok when it comes to protein heres how it goes.

the only time you reallllly need to take protein shakes or bars would be if you don't have any protein available in the form of food. almost all of your protein you get in the food you eat. ABQ hit it right on the head, its all about your diet. another point would be that your body doesn't store protein so any excess protein you are consuming will be flushed right out of your body. the average american gets about 100 grams of protein in their diet. you need about....80, at most. so theres no real need to get protein unless, like i said, you are unable to find another source of protein.

as a side note its best to consume not only protein but some carbs bout 30 min after your workout, thats when its most optimal for everything to be brought into the muscles. i could go into the physiology, but ill spare you lol
Old 02-09-2008 | 11:43 AM

Not protein but I use some stuff called Nano Vapor and it rocks! Seriously, all my lifting buddies use it too... It burns fat, give you crazy energy(not just a caffine high) and when we use it, we can lift more weight. Gotta try it! It won new product of the year 2007...
Sure protein IS important and in fact, I've been told by my weight training instructor that to build muscle real fast, you should be taking 1g of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight every day. I like muscle milk too... Just be sure to do alot of cardio workouts when taking that much protein.... Protein doesnt get flushed right out when you are working hard enough...
Old 02-09-2008 | 12:51 PM

QUOTE (ABQelantra @ Feb 9 2008, 11:43 AM)
What are your goals as far as lifting... do you want just the beach body or do you want to have some good strenght too?

Build muscle/strength

QUOTE (avblueshark @ Feb 9 2008, 01:43 PM)
Sure protein IS important and in fact, I've been told by my weight training instructor that to build muscle real fast, you should be taking 1g of protein for every 2 pounds of body weight every day. I like muscle milk too...

Its about 1g for every one pound of weight for minimal gains, you should eat about 4-6 meals that have protein in them on top of taking this protein shake. and muscle milk doesnt have as much calories, carbs, protein as Im lookin for...and for the price compared to whats in the powders the optimum nutrion one is a better buy IMO...and trust me im bustin my ass lol my buddy is a friggin brick, reads the mags, takes powders, noxplode, littlle packs of vitamins, and other pills and was in the army and military police. so basicaly he lives in the gym. i learned fast its about form, not weight...
Old 02-09-2008 | 03:09 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

You can also try trueprotein.com if you know exactly you want. You can customize your blend, you can make it anything you want and it is great quality and good prices.

And yeah, it's at least 1gb/lb bodyweight. Up to 2g/lb if you are really busting your ass. But you need to drink enough water when your protein intake is high, thumbs rule 1gb/lb = 1 gallon of water daily, 2gb/lb = 2 gallons of water daily.
Old 02-09-2008 | 04:38 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Protein supplements can easily work against you trying to lose weight. I've read a few articles, and the people posting above are correct. If you consume too much protein, your body will store it as fat, so you may just be adding to your waistline unless you're doing some heavy workouts.

Here's an article I found a few weeks ago:

http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage....entid=100166349 - Are Protein Shakes a Good Idea?

I've also read to eat some healthy slow burning carbs right before you go to sleep (if you've been working out recently) because the carbs will slowly help replenish the muscles throughout the night. I've ALSO read that since you've been sleeping for 8 hours, your body and muscles need carbs, so eating some carbs in the morning will most likely go to support brain activity and re-energize the muscles rather than turning into stored sugar. I don't have the article handy, but I know I've read it somewhere.

short excerpts:

More protein can lead to more body fat
The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for protein that the average person should get in their daily diet is .8 grams for every kilogram of body weight. Lemon’s research shows that exercisers need between .8 grams and 1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight. Some bodybuilders take in four or five times as much as the RDA—and, according to this research, totally unnecessarily.

---------

Extra protein does not automatically make extra muscle. In fact, if you eat more protein than your body uses, it will be stored as fat. So, bodybuilders who down six chicken breasts at time in between high-protein shakes and bars may be adding more to their waistline than their biceps.

---------

Research shows that your post-workout snack should consist of as much as four times as much carbs to protein, or a 2-to-1 to 4-to-1 ratio, according to John Ivy, a professor of kinesiology at the University of Texas at Austin and the author of Nutrient Timing. So after a hard workout, eat a carb- and protein-containing snack or drink. (Some people don’t feel like eating right after a hard session, so here’s where having a shake or a protein-supplemented energy drink may be useful.) Foods to nibble on include a handful of almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, peanut butter on bread, vegetables and fruit with yogurt.

The exercise stimulus creates a sort of muscle breakdown so that when you sleep, your muscles go into an anabolic state to get bigger and stronger than before. Consuming extra calories provides the energy needed for this rebuilding process.

Old 02-09-2008 | 10:46 PM

Vehicle: Tiburon 98

I'm taking NO-Xplode and it's a very sick product. You will see the result immediately.
But don't take this within 4 hour of sleep because you will not be able to sleep.
When I go to gym before sleeping I'm taking N.O.Z. from Nutrabolics. It's another great product but without caffeine.
For the protein I'm taking EAS.
Old 02-10-2008 | 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Just remember with any creatine product, the appearance of gained mass is decieving. It's only your body bloating with water in order for you muscles to heal quicker, so you can workout harder more often. Also when taking creatine your water intake has to increase to cope with effects of the creatine. I would recomend never doing the loading phase for creatine and also only go in 6 week cycles.

If you want to build strenght a little more than the beach body, look in to kettle bell workouts. If you are more into the beach body deal just focus on what is in the body building mags. The mags will stear you in the right direction.