Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Anyone ever flashed their high beams

Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by Hijinx
Personally, I don't. But, it's dumb. For what? You believe you'll teach them a lesson? That's funny. There are so many things that could go wrong...

What if you have that person that doesn't care about their life?

You never know, man. I'm not trying to be high and mighty, because I used to do that sort of thing. I also used to tailgate believing I could pressure people into getting out of my way. But, nowadays I value my life more than irritating someone. It's a crazy, small world out there. Few learn, but most don't.

Hell, I pretty much do the speed limit everywhere now. I commute so the only exception is if I am actually running late.

Geeeeez thanks for the life lesson Dad! I hear what you're saying, but what makes you assume I do care about my life? Kidding aside, it's always been effective to give a little pull of the ebrake. It makes them pay attention and they *always* back the f- off. People tend to be very receptive when they realize that you're batsh*t crazy (you should know this Hijinx ) Realistically, what are my risks? They plow into me? They're at fault. They pass me and flip me off? Damn, there goes my pride. They shoot me? I don't live in a big city or really small town so not likely. Truth be told, if they're tailgating me, they probably care too much about their life. They're not going to risk it, they're more obsessed with their own lives than anyone else's (product of the 80's mefirst culture.)

What's the point of speeding to work when you're late? So you can be there 3 minutes earlier? If I run late, I just say "f*ck it" and have another cigarette. Life's too short to worry about being late. Of course, I'm always early to work anyways (I work swing shift so I don't really have any excuses.)
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

to be perfectly clear i will FLASH my brake lights to the @$$hat tailgating/flicking high beams @ me-... this will result in a dramatic decrease in speed for a short moment-...

i do NOT brake check nor do i condone it-... it's really not worth the bald spot on my tires.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by PandaSmuggler
What's the point of speeding to work when you're late? So you can be there 3 minutes earlier? If I run late, I just say "f*ck it" and have another cigarette. Life's too short to worry about being late.

I feel the exact same way. But that attitude comes with age. When I was 18 it was "GET OUT OF MY WAY!"
Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec

Originally Posted by pas1216
I feel the exact same way. But that attitude comes with age. When I was 18 it was "GET OUT OF MY WAY!"

Haha I was quite the opposite when I was 18. My insurance was high so I drove like "oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd please don't pull me over officer."
Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Y'know, ever since I started hypermiling, I've suddenly become 'that guy', the slow asshat. However, driving slowly is NO justification for driving in the fast lane, or not being courteous.

Anyways, people exceeding the speed limit have NO right to be mad at others driving lawfully. On the other side of the coin, if you are doing the same speed as the guy in the slow lane? Move over. It is a double edged sword and when either party neglects their responsibility, things get ugly.

I've only ever flashed someone like once or twice, and both times they just got really mad and kept doing ~10 under in the fast lane
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 2.0T GC R-Spec

Originally Posted by PandaSmuggler
Geeeeez thanks for the life lesson Dad! I hear what you're saying, but what makes you assume I do care about my life? Kidding aside, it's always been effective to give a little pull of the ebrake. It makes them pay attention and they *always* back the f- off. People tend to be very receptive when they realize that you're batsh*t crazy (you should know this Hijinx ) Realistically, what are my risks? They plow into me? They're at fault. They pass me and flip me off? Damn, there goes my pride. They shoot me? I don't live in a big city or really small town so not likely. Truth be told, if they're tailgating me, they probably care too much about their life. They're not going to risk it, they're more obsessed with their own lives than anyone else's (product of the 80's mefirst culture.)

What's the point of speeding to work when you're late? So you can be there 3 minutes earlier? If I run late, I just say "f*ck it" and have another cigarette. Life's too short to worry about being late. Of course, I'm always early to work anyways (I work swing shift so I don't really have any excuses.)

Unfortunately for me... I've had people NOT back off.

My commute is 25 miles. I haven't figured out why yet because I'm new to the commute, but I can do the speed limit and get to work in 30min, or I can haul @$$ and cut it down to 20.