Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Anyone else dieting?

Old 01-19-2005 | 09:03 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
I should be driving a Koenigsegg CC V8. tongue.gif:

or a Chevy Aveo lmao.gif nana.gif

QUOTE (CyberShark)
....Starts to show on the thighs and butt area first....
oh jeez. u're gonna make her self conscious now..

Liz. you look fine. don't lose weight, just get yourself toned
Old 01-19-2005 | 12:20 PM

I know what you should be driving...and old Hyundai Excel...with an untuned 4G63. wink1.gif
Old 01-19-2005 | 12:29 PM

I know I dont really need to lose weight...but since Ive been home from work I have put on about 10 pounds. And plus I really do need to slim down my thighs and but and around my hips. Cause thats where it all goes too. I definetly dont wanna be like twig thing. I just mostly wanna be toned, and have more strength and energy. And I started out small with doing crunchies and biking. Ive gotten up to 50 crunchies and 150 calories on the bike. I didnt wanna go from no excersise at all to way too much and over do it.

thanks guys.
Old 01-19-2005 | 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i used to exercise. dont do it now cause i work MUCH more and i dont have the energy.

i got up to running 3.5 miles in 23 minutes(fastest time, avg. was about 25:30). then i did some crunches, curls, and push ups. 540 crunches a night, 60 push ups, and 75 curls of like 50 pounds. alternating between each exercise. crunches, push-ups, curls, crunches, push-ups....etc....I did this for a solid 2 months, every day. i was feeling great, and had a really toned torso. then, i started working 45+ hours a week, taking 6 classes at college, eating fast food, and drinking more beer on the weekends. im still kinda tone, no more 6pack though.

buy yourself a push up bar. it helps you to utilize more of your muscle with every push up you do. check this out....
http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=46956

when i was jogging, i never wanted to eat lunch at work cause i would feel like **** 2 hours later when i wanted to run. then i started eating fruit and salad(with light/fat free dressing, or none at all), and that not only filled me up a little, but it helped me run faster. i was taking down a 3lb bag of gala apples in a half an hour, while drinking a liter of water. dropped my times on my 3.5 mile jog down atleast 2 minutes. give apples a try, just dont eat a bunch and then sit around.
Old 01-19-2005 | 02:15 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
Just so people don't get confused...muscle and fat are two distinctly different components within the body. Muscle can't turn into fat and vice versa. Losing fat and gaining muscle mass gives occur simultaneoulsy when you work out, so people assumed that fat was being turned into muscle, or muscle became fat when you stopped working out for a lengthy period of time. Actually, muscle begins to lose its composition, or stay at its current size, if you change up your routine.

that's true. Muscle weighs more than fat, yes, which is what I implied by losing size in my waist but actually gaining 5 pounds on the scale.

And it's correct that fat doesn't turn into muscle. Muscle doesn't turn into fat. Muscle merely by it's existence will burn fat (not all of course, but it will). Muscle can become "soft" if you suddenly go from a 5-day workout week to not working out for 3 months. As muscle becomes soft, it's can't hold the same amount of weight that it used to, which is why it seems we've LOST muscle because we may no longer be able to curl 55 pounds with one arm like we used to. Fat is also able to build on top of this soft muscle structure, making it look even worse.

That's what I've read and learned over the years. If someone thinks I may have missed something, or disagrees, please let me know.

Edit: Excellent link! Thanks for posting tibby01! Doc's awesome
Old 01-19-2005 | 04:06 PM

if you want to thin down you legs you need to run at least 5k twice a week or more. I'm on the see food diet. I don't care. Here soon i'm gonna be on a beer diet. Then i'm gonna hit the gym 2-3 days a week. But run 5k everyday and keep drinking beer. Maybe then i'll get skinny if i knock out the beer. Or maybe i should go to an all Jim Beam or Crown diet. That would rock out with your cock out. But running will tone you legs. Trust me. My wife hasn't added any weight. But lost inches in her waist and her size 1 jeans won't fit because her legs got nice and tone. That rocks!
Old 01-19-2005 | 04:10 PM

there is also a lot to be said for being cardio fit. A couple of years ago I was down in the Outer Banks of North Carolina with some friends and family. My one friend looks good, he works out several tims a week.. but even he admits that it is for "looks only" and I just look average. I just work instead of working out. On my feet quite a bit and usually on the run.

While we were there, we went to go see the lighthouse at Hatteras. He, his fiance, and their son and myself and my g/f all climbed the steps to the tallest lighthouse on the eastcoast. I would up carrying their son on my shoulders and made it all the way to the top non-stop while everyone else had to stop and catch their breath.
Old 01-19-2005 | 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I LOVE eating. My perspective on dieting is that you shouldn't give up one of lifes gifts. Seriously, why suffer? People dont understand how much getting off the couch helps. If I start to gain a couple pounds, then I start calling my friends to go play b-ball, football or tennis. If I do either twice a week, then I'll shed like 15lbs in a month, while still eating McD's, donuts, icecream, etc.

Before starving yourself or forcing veggies down your throat, try finding an activity you REALLY, REALLY like. Something fun so you dont even recognize it as exercise.
Old 01-19-2005 | 08:23 PM

sorta right.. you do not have to give up eating what you love.. just eat a little less of it and do a little more activity. Personally, I cannot wait until warm weather again when I can break my mountain bike out once more.. I am too much of a whimp to ride once it gets down below 45 degrees.
Old 01-19-2005 | 09:07 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

Liz, looking at your pics, I say you don't really need to diet. Exercise is always a good thing to do and the crunches & bike riding will help to tone your problem areas, as will the walking/running.
Something that I'm amazed that no one has said yet is that you must drink lots of water (at least 2L / day). This will help you lose wait and if you're drinking the water it will help to curb your appetite also.