Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

*REDZ Recipe* New Mexican Food 101 - Dessert... Sopas...

Old 07-07-2004 | 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

New Mexican food, as Hobgoblin is starting to find out, is VERY unique, it's a cross of Mexican and Native American food, very flavorful, but not about heat. The main ingredients are Green Chillies, and New Mexico is the worlds largest producer of said veggie. These are available in many different heats, but are usually much milder than a Jalapeno. They are used in everything. I use it in my Spaghetti, on my burgers (Wendy's makes the best Green Chilie Cheezeburgers), and everything else. Green chilie jam is awesome.

Okay guys, Sopaipilla's are a Southwestern dish, but of course, they vary from state to state. I've seen them end out being cinnamon and sugar coated donuts and flat pieces of fried bread, but traditional Sopa's are little pillows of fried dough that are hollow in the center. You tear off a corner, pour some honey inside, and eat away. Also, as Jared (Hobgoblin) found out, they make an AWESOME main dish, you slice them open and fill them with seasoned ground beef, shredded chicken, or carne adovada (marinated pork in red chilie sauce), and usually are also stuffed with ranch style beans, cheeze, and topped with green chilie sauce, more cheeze, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, whatever. We took him to La Placita, a restraunt in Old Town Albuquerque. The restraunt is over 150 years old... Jared had a lesson in NEW Mexican food this last weekend, and now knows the difference between Tex Mex, Mexican food, and NEW Mexican food.

Hungry yet?

tongue.gif lol.gif

On to the Recipe...

Okay, here we go...

La Placita Recipe

Sopaipilla's

Ingredients.

4 - Cups of Flour
3/4 - Teaspoon of salt
2 - Tablespoon shortening
1 - Cup warm water

Directions

Thoroughly mix dry ingredients, then add shortening and mix until it is tuoroughly dissolved. Slowly add one cup of warm water and knead until smooth. Your dough then should be about the consistancy of "pie dough", or possibly a little stiffer. (Remember, Albuquerque is in a HIGH ALTITUDE climate folks, you may have to use a bit less water or flour) Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rise for 2 hours. For a more consistent roll, refrigerate the dou8gh overnite then allow it to warm to room temperature prior to cooking.

Roll the doubh out very thin, between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch, then cut the dough into rectangular or triangular strips (Rectangular are traditional, I love the triangle ones...) of about 3 by 4 inches. Cook in a deep pan in at least 1/2 to 3/4 inches of VERY hot shortening or vegetable oil, approximately 425 degrees, or almost smoking hot. Then cook as you would with doughnuts, the sopaipillas will begin to puff up as they cook, remove them as they turn slightly golden. Serve hot with butter and or honey.

NOTE: If the sopaipi8llas do not puff up as they should, it is possible that either the cooking oil was not hot enough or the dough had not risen for long enough. The dough could also possibly have been too thick.

That's it guys, I'd suggest you try cooking one or 2 before you go into mass production to test it out first. They are FANTASTIC for a snack or to go along with my next Recipe, Green Chilie Stew.

I posted that one in HA and HP last year and it got rave reviews.

I just typed that directly from the Recipe they gave us at La Placita guys, I added in a few comments, but that's it. I've got a migrane, so don't lecture me on spelling okay?

Enjoy, and take some pics.
Old 07-07-2004 | 11:17 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

Well Redz, where is the Green Chilie Stew recipe?
Old 07-07-2004 | 11:27 PM

I'll prolly put it up tomorrow.

There are variations to it.
Old 07-08-2004 | 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

Right on!! heh

Yes I was very skood in the ways of the NEW Mexican food, now I know that there is more than just sand with a chile on top... heh heh

These things ARE AWESOME!!! Try one, if you make it right... "who needs biscuits anymore?!?!"
Old 07-08-2004 | 03:15 PM

Vehicle: Honda

Rave reviews?! There were four replies! Two of them were from you!

You'll have to make some and ship it to me.

Sounds good.
Old 07-08-2004 | 06:01 PM

Huh?
Old 07-09-2004 | 12:00 AM

On HA. When you posted it, there were only like 4 replies. One was me. Two were from you and one was someone else. Not exactly "rave reviews"

(I don't have a clue what happened at HP. I can only go to so many sites, there's only one Marcus.
Old 07-09-2004 | 06:39 AM

I can hear it now :

REDZMANGS FOOD DISTRIBUTION CO., INC. :-) lol.gif

I love "real" mexican food......not the TB ish (although i will eat it on occasion) but the real ish.......I'd love to try some "New" mexican food.

Recipe looks easy enuff, I might have to try making some.
Old 07-09-2004 | 10:00 AM

Default 00Tibby's Car

No mang, at HP there were bunches of answers, several folks made it. I also got plenty of emails on the subject.
Old 07-10-2004 | 06:17 PM

Oh well, you never sent me any, that's all I know.