Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

SCREW ZEX!!!

Old 08-11-2002, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX - now 2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
Default SCREW ZEX!!!

I know there are a lot of people satisfied with their zex kits, but here's why I'm unhappy.

1st: My control unit would not program, meaning it would not store the voltage of max throttle off the throttle position sensor. It took them almost 2 months to send me another one.

2nd: I find that when they assembled my bottle, they managed to strip the thread of the outlet. I had to rework and use locktite.

3rd: Upon my 5th refill, I find that the neck of the bottle is leaking.

...The guy who refills my bottle looked at it, didn't say a word, walked away, and brought me a N.O.S. bottle. He put the two side by side and told me to compare the two. The material says it all. Zex uses O2 tanks and fits their cheap valves on them. Knock on the two empty bottles and you'll hear the difference in quality. The worst part is, zex won't honor their warranty because I reworked the valve, after I received it in a F****ed up condition in the first place.
Just thought I would share in case some of you are debating on which nitrous kit to use.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:06 AM

Josh:
The worst part is, zex won't honor their warranty because I reworked the valve, after I received it in a F****ed up condition in the first place.
Then you have no one to blame but yourself. If the product was defective from the start, then you should have boxed everything up and sent it back to ZEX for replacement and/or repair.

Try NX, (Nitrous Express).

[ August 11, 2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Hootie ]
Old 08-11-2002, 05:19 AM

i dont know about what you got? but if you compare a NOS bottle to the zex they are the exact same material. identical except for the color. if your zex managment unit wouldnt program at WOT you probably shorted something while wiring it. Ive been very happy with the quality of my zex kit and the power output is exceptional.
sounds like you got a used and damaged kit. who did you buy it from.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:04 AM

try NX or venom like hootie said

Dont waste money on NOS... you might as well "upgrade" in systems
Old 08-11-2002, 09:15 AM

Why didn't you take the kit to someone experienced with the kit to check it prior to installation it might of saved you all the hassles...

rolleyes.gif
Old 08-11-2002, 09:57 PM

A couple of weeks ago my bottle neck begin to leak too sad.gif but the people in where I fill the bottle they have everything and fix it.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:43 PM

Mine leaked too (after leaving it the sun with rolled up windows) but I replaced the neck O-ring (which is plastic in the ZEX bottle) with a NOS unit (actually rubber) and the safety disc. I have never had any other problem with it.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:50 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX - now 2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

I appreciate the HELPFUL replies. As I expected, some of you replied like I didn't know what I was doing.

I am 2 semesters short of graduating with an electrical engineering degree. A short is the first thing I avoid whenever working wires.... the wiring of the zex kit does not require professionals. I have done tasks more complicated over 4 years ago in high school. I took the module apart and found that the integrated circuit on the board was not enabling properly with the power source. I sent it back.

I know how warranties work and I knew re-threading the bottle would void any replacement. Unfortunately, my faith in the company caused me to believe that would be the last problem I would encounter. Who knew the neck would leak? I will replace the ring and see if that solves the problem.

As for the difference between zex and NOS valves, you put the two together and see for yourself. I will not argue this one because there is no way I can show you over the internet. I know there are a lot of ZEX lovers out there and I still am one too. I love the kit. I've just had a streak of bad problems with this one in particular. Needed to know if others out there were experiencing the same frustration.

Sorry, i'm in a cranky mood... but thanks for all your replies and i hope that I can enjoy my kit like those of you out there who have not had any problems with your zex kits. This experience just supports the saying, "You get what you pay for." $450 did sound a little too good.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:05 AM

i thought i was filling mine up a lil too fast, seemed like a few days later i was all of a sudden without throttle in a bottle, makes sense now, need to change those gaskets....i knew i wasn't using as much as i thought...
Old 08-13-2002, 09:31 AM

I will be picking up a bottle with a leaking valve tomorrow from one of my accounts. This kit has not been installed, but came straight out of the box. I can give you a number and a name if you would like to call Zex. If the simple remedy is to replace a plastic washer with a rubber one, I would recommend that. If you still leak afterward, go at Zex, which is actually CompCams.