Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

S-AFC vs NOS conflict

Old 07-12-2002, 11:41 AM
BV1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-AFC vs NOS conflict

Heres the problem... Using the S-AFC on my N/A setup I lean out the top end about 14% and get good gains... However I want to get the 82011 Zex nos kit. So I have to upgrade my fuel pump to be safe correct? (Walbro 255)

Only gonna do the 50 shot but I want to be safe, and I have a tonne of N/A mods already. But heres the dilema, the new fuel pump is gonna make me run rich at WOT, good for NOS, but what about running leaner for the N/A setup? Not using the NOS I want to be in the stochiometric region, which I can do using the S-AFC, but how do I know when I fire the NOS that the zex controller will inject enough fuel espically with the S-AFC now set close to -20% (to compensate for the fuel pump)?

Red, Random, Decker?

Thanks!

-Steve
Old 07-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Red

The S-AFC has absolutely zero bearing on nitrous tuning. It is unaware, nor can it be MADE aware, of A/F ratio or nitrous use.

You tune the S-AFC for best operation with the car normally aspirated. When you're spraying, you use the ZEX methods to make sure it's ok on spray.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:36 PM

the s-afc can monitor the a/f, but not affect the signal. it alters the MAF signal, not the o2 sensor
Old 07-12-2002, 11:53 PM
BV1

Both the Zex kit and the S-AFC are open loop operation, meaning that they have no form of feed back to know if they are running too rich or too lean. The ultimate S-AFC would be one that hooked up to the 02 sensor and did self diagnoses to adjust the A/F ratio, but currently they don't.

Red, by the zex method, what exactly does the zex do to fuel pressure or injector pulses etc... on spray? I know that at 6k RPM the S-AFC will be trying to keep the A/F ratio stochiometric by leaning it out,(shorter pulses) but wont the zex be trying to raise fuel pressure to run it richer?

So won't the shorter pulses vs the higher pressure be cancelling each other out, to a certain extent? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

-Steve
Old 07-13-2002, 08:04 AM
Red

Don't try to over-think it and make it all harder than it is.

The S-AFC has no direct control over anything, it only is there to alter the MAF signal. It doesn't directly interface with the injectors, it doesn't tap in to your nitrous kit, it doesn't do anything else whatsoever. It just tweaks your MAF (or map or Karman or flapper or whatever your car has)

Thus, don't think about the S-AFC messing with your fuel at all. It's your stock computer that ultimately controls the fuel.

Therefore, it would be no different installing ZEX on a fully stock normally aspirated car as it would installing it on the same fully stock normally aspirated car with an S-AFC. The stock computer is still what ultimately decides to send the fuel.

The S-AFC is NOT an open-loop only part, it CAN be used in closed loop. The only problem is, most OBD-2 cars will still try to *over learn* what you've specified in the S-AFC during closed loop anyway. Older cars that aren't OBD controlled won't learn around it.

Tune the S-AFC to make the most power while not spraying. Then use the ZEX methods (whatever they use -- pressue is fine) to make sure it runs the best on nitrous.

DO NOT TUNE THE S-AFC WHILE SPRAYING.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:10 AM

or you could just get the viper kit. has a built in monitor that shows if you are lean or not. if you get into it, the system will automatically shut it down.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:24 PM

heh?
viper?
i think you mean venom wink

venom works by pulsating the injectors

the zex kit does its thang by increasing pressure. As soon as you begin to spray, ZEX will suck more fuel. ZEX has NO CLUE if your running lean or rich,... all it knows
FULL THROTTLE--(then)-- SPRAY + INCREASE FUEL PRESSURE

thats it...

It will not affect your SAFC or vice versa

A while back ago, someone mentioned a new ZEX kit version that had came out. I have no idea if that one has a A/F built into it,... if so i apologize

The only kit that i know about that messes with the A/F ratio is the venom kit.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:42 AM

thank you, that is what i meant.