Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Nos Vs Turbo???

Old 12-03-2002, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: FX Coupe
Default Nos Vs Turbo???

Ok i've searched...

Running a 50 shot or 75 shot.
I heard that a nitrous car will win anyday over a turbo car.

My question is though is..
if i shot a 50 in my 1st gen
would i beat a car running 10psi? or 8psi

what would be the psi vs nitrous ratio???

if you get me..
Old 12-03-2002, 04:05 AM
Red

There is no "psi versus nitrous rule"

There is no "psi per horsepower rule"

There is no way you can ever say "nitrous will always win against turbo"

A Tiburon with a 10psi turbocharger setup will net around 210 wheel horsepower. A Tiburon with a ZEX 75 shot will net around 190 wheel horsepower... Guess which one will get to the finish line first?

A nitrous kit is cheaper to purchase, cheaper and usually easier to install than a turbo setup. But nitrous must be continuously refilled; a 10lb bottle doesn't last forever. And at $5+ per pound depending on where you live, the cost soon gets higher and higher.

Turbochargers are more expensive to purchase, more expensive to install because they're so much more extensive. But once it's bolted on, you only need to fill the car with gasoline in order to reap the benefits.

There is no "best" solution; pick which one has the tradeoffs you like best.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:53 AM

oh i'm not suggesting get nitrous
and i know whats what.

but as you well no turbo has lag.
does nitro. i think not.

My Q?
If i was sitting at he lights
against another car
i had a 75 shot
he had a turbo setup running 10psi

would i win over 400m

Sorry this was not meant to cause confusion
im just curious.

My setup is in the closet.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:36 AM

it's not as simple as that. overall, turbos are better. you can get more power via a turbo. nitrous is just another form of forced induction, since it just adds more o2 to the intake mix. however, nitrous is a little differnet than turbos. save your money and go for a turbo. you can get so much more out of it.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Red

Ok, let's take your suggestion:

Your car, on an internally stock motor, and a 75 shot.

His car, on an internally stock motor, and a 10psi turbocharger. A TD04/14H.

Your car? You cannot spray until 3K on the tachometer, and spraying in 1st gear would essentially make you sit there and spin tires without going anywhere. The problem? You cannot spray until you shift to 2nd.

His car? He launches at 3K, the turbo is spooled by the time he hits 5K in first gear, 2nd gear shift he's got all 10psi behind him and 240 pounds of torque at the 4500RPM shift point.

You would lose.

Nitrous is cheaper. Turbocharger makes a lot more power and does so in a VERY linear fashion.

If you are expecting every turbo setup to have "lag" so bad as to lose races, you're sorely misinformed. Unless someone is trying to bolt a Garret 60-1 turbine onto a stock motor, the lag is going to be pretty nil. The Alpine turbocharger kit is typically making FULL BOOST by 2500 RPM's.

Hell, you launch the car at a higher RPM than 2500 if you're truly drag racing. Think about it...
Old 12-03-2002, 01:20 PM

turbo lag? guess what friend, you can't start spraying until you hit a certain point in the powerband either. you're waiting either way, and you have to hope all your hoses are connected and other factors. the engine, once properly tuned, will run the turbo itself. i like the idea of the ease and price of nitrous, but tuned right, and more consistently, turbo ownz joo.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:24 AM

Now thats what im talking about.

Thanks Red.

I have my turbo setup sitting in my closet.

I wasn't going to buy nitrous i was just curious.
I always thought you could spray before a turbo will spool up. but now i see the light... wink
Old 12-04-2002, 06:15 AM
Red

You can spray before a turbo spools, but that depends on what nitrous setup you're running versus what turbo setup you're running.

A progressively controlled nitrous system will allow you to start feeding nitrous to the car much earlier and in a linear fashion over a preset time. I've got an NX direct port 80004EFI kit and an NOS time-based progressive controller waiting to be installed.... On a 150HP shot, I'll activate the system at 2500 RPM's and 33% utilization -- ramping to 100% utilization over a period of 3 to 5 seconds (depending on my traction, we'll see...)

The reason you cannot turn nitrous on so early is because the shock to the driveline will be very large. If you started spraying a 75 shot at 2000RPM's, your engine would go from like 40 horsepower to 115 horsepower near-instantly when you start the spray. A jolt that big when the motor is barely moving will cause problems.

All things being fully equal, a nitrous kit will win IF the power addition is identical between the N2O system and the turbo system. But your question was a 75 shot versus 10psi on a Tib -- and 10psi on a Tib produces more than 75 horsepower.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

But, doesn't nitrous give far more torque than the turbo? So, if you inject the same hp with each, then you will have more torque with the nitrous.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:59 PM
Red

It still really depends on what turbo you're talking about. If you use a tiny little T25 turbo that spools to full-tilt at 2500 RPM's, then it's VERY likely that your Tiburon will make a huge handful of torque very early, but then will die off at the top-end because the turbo runs out of breath.

Generally speaking, nitrous will apply more evenly at the top-end of the RPM band because it's not really forced induction but instead actually an alternative method of normal aspiration. The car isn't being FORCED to eat the nitrous, it is drawing the gas in just like the regular "air". You just happen to be spiking the mixture that it's breathing when you hit the N2O sprayer...