Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Which is the normal temp of my car?

Old 01-04-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the normal temp of my car?

I buy a Autometer Pyrometer for my ZEX tib and I dont know which is the normal temp of my car. If someone have experience with this gauge please answer the question.
And which change I will see, in the guage, when I use nitrous.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:34 PM

Safe EGT'S should be around 800 F. If it surges past 1000-1200 for long it is running way to lean and you will soon melt a head.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Red

No, not quite -- Aluminum heads give out around 1650F; most very high-performing four cylinders try to put the EGT's right around 1550 or thereabouts at full WOT. Keep in mind that this doesn't apply to ALL cars, but it does apply to most.

Many many things can affect how hot your EGT's are, so you shouldn't try to "tune" a car based on EGT's alone. Ignition timing that's advanced too far can actually lower EGT's, and even having the car VERY lean can lower EGT's. Conversely, ignition timing that is retarded can increase EGT's without actually meaning you're running lean... And being overly too rich can also cause high EGT's as the fuel is still burning on the way out.

Just about the only way to tune a fuel-injected electronically-controlled ignition car properly is to plug in a wideband O2 sensor. There are just too many variables in the computer system to say for sure what the cause of the EGT's is.

Really, EGT, CHT and "normal" A/FR gauges should only be used as warning devices, and not tuning devices.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:10 PM

I ask you because my gauge show 1500F. But it was damage, everytime that I use something in my car like lights, radio, power windows, sun roof, etc. the gauge goes crazy the needle begin to shake to every way. I take it to the speedshop and they told me to go this week to take a new one.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:34 AM

Might be the 12V you taped into...

I dont have an EGT gauge
So i cant tell you the temperature
Old 01-07-2003, 05:52 PM

I try every place that you can imagine even directly from the battery and still with the problem. Anyway the speedshop will change it.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:50 AM

The speed shop give me a new gauge and work very fine , but I notice that when I use nitrous the needle goes above 1500F I dont know if is bad or good . I have the same ZEX' nitrous setup for one year and never have problems with the engine. What you think about it?