Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Is it worth it?

Old 02-01-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Is it worth it?

Ok guys, heres the deal. I dont really plan on going all that far with mods on my tib, mainly becuase its getting old, and i dont have that much money. But I also wanna do SOME stuff, cuz it just begs me for it.

Right now all I have is a CAI, but I'm looking into some (used) obx headers a member here is selling for pretty cheap, i should be able to get them for around $100. If I got them, I almost definately would get exhaust too. But as I hate to admit it, with out going turbo, which I have no plans of doing, my car will still be slow 02.gif.

So do you guys think its worth the money? the farthest i'll probably ever go is intake, headers/downpipe, custom exhaust, and BBTB. To you, are the gains I will get worth the money?? or should I just not bother? Keep in mind im paying for college and the car still. I HAVE the money, i just wont have much afterwards.... once again, is it worth it?? Thanks, I appriciate any feedback yup.gif
Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 PM

what year is it? how many miles and how long you plan on keeping it?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:19 PM

2001, with 85k miles, and I plan on keeping it until the day it dies yup.gif
Old 02-01-2005, 01:23 PM

ya go ahead n mod it, mines an 00 with 90k, imports have good motors and so do hyundai's, everything you want is bolt on, save all your old stuff, if the car dies, put the stock stuff back on, get another rd2 and but the aftermarket stuff on, thats my philosophy smile.gif
Old 02-01-2005, 01:30 PM

Personally, if your going that far, I would buy a Civic hatch or something and mod that instead, and keep Tib for daily.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 PM

but are the gains significant enough for the money? since i'm never going to do anything that big to it, is it worth it? thats my main question.

i guess a harsh way to put it is: is it worth it to spend money to make a slow car less slow? cuz the only fast tibs ive seen are turbo. dont get me wrong, i love my car, im practically obsessed with it, but (lets see how many times i can repeat it haha) is it worth it?

I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk me into it or out of it. can anyone justify it?

EDIT (didnt see hamhead's): <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Personally, if your going that far, I would buy a Civic hatch or something and mod that instead, and keep Tib for daily.</div>
Maybe it would make sense to do that, but i HATE civics... I think i'd cry if i got one. love the tibby so much more
Old 02-01-2005, 01:36 PM

If your car is still stock, you won't beleive how much you will improve it with just CAI and exhaust (and that's even without headers).
Put also some headers, a BBTB and hopefully a match ported IM (you could use your own OEM and have it machined to fit right with the BBTB and the head) and you will have some very nice gains, for the money, you won't regret. Just plan your engine and please, don't spend a fortune on the exhaust side, really, there is almost no difference (specially if you'r not going to heavy mod your engine like with hogh comp pistons, AirRam, etc, etc) between a custom 2,5" crush bent pipe and an expensive SS 2,25" mandrel bent pipe; if there is any horse loose there, you won't miss those 2 or 3 99,99% of the time you drive your car.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:40 PM

wow zman, that was EXACTLY what i was looking for. And about the exhaust, i was plannin on gettin crush anyway, its not that big of a deal to me. any one else have any input? Please not about crush vs. mandrel bends tho, I've heard that discussion a thousand times. Other opinions, should i or should i not? thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 02:14 PM

TibMin, you should look into the 1.8 cam. You'll get a couple of horses out of it, plus it cost just over $100...not bad..Just get what you can afford, when you can afford it...I think you have a good plan so far, stick with it, and from there, guage whether or not you want to continue...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:28 PM

I would do this one piece at a time. My tib is slowly getting modified as time goes on, it unfortunatly plays second fiddle to my italian cars.. they get most of the love, but my tib still gets some affection.

Basically, it is all about enjoying your car. You love it to death, so why not make more to love? Try the header and exhaust... you will probably love that.. and then when you are ready, go do more to the intake.. Personally, I would also replace anything that wears out and breaks with aftermarket performance pieces.. they are generally about the same price or cheaper than the dealer... and you get better gains.