Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Won't Start..whirring Sound

Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

If engine is not turning - it's starter. Maybe you have bad bendix or pull-bearing on starter (dunno how it called in english)
Old 03-24-2006, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

lmao.gif i think the word you're searching for is......... JUNK STARTER.. LOL lmao.gif
Old 03-24-2006, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

well it was and is the starter...now i have another problem though.
i've made a new thread
Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check to see if your starter mount is bent because it sounds like it could be.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Just an update in case anyone cares wink1.gif

The bottom bolt on the bellhousing was comletely stripped, and on the "new" starter I had there was a chipped part on the top bolt, plus the threads weren't very good on the top of the bellhousing either, when I blew the old starter off it really killed my threads in the bellhousing.
So what I did is just went and go two longer thinner bolts and just put nuts and lockwashers on the other end. Seems to me like this is even better, after having the last starter rip off like it did I don't want to rely on those threads anymore.

And damn it was hard to get a nut on the end of the top bolt..I tried greasing it to get it to hold (since I couldn't really get more than one finger on it) but the only thing I had lying around was vaseline and that just wasn't thick enough to hold it. Finally I jacked it up and got underneath and held it while dad tightened the bolt down.

My only concern is that I didn't use grade A (hardened) bolts, could this pose a problem in the future? I didn't even think about this until it was all done .. and it was such a PITA to get nuts on (since the space is so cramped) that I just left it..
Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

eh, it will be ok. if not, you'll know soon. owned.gif

did you use stainless? or else it will be owned with rust if you ever have to replace it again.