Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.
View Poll Results: Who removed their spare and jack for daily driving?
Remove spare tire, jack, lug wrench
27.91%
NOT to remove spare tire, jack, lug wrench
72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Who removed their spare and jack for daily driving?

Old 03-31-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

car came with spare and jack, no lug wrench. instead of buying a lug wrench im just going to buy a repair kit thing and get rid of the spare, itll offset my subs for daily driving. (i take the sub out at the track duh)

I voted take it out, but only do it after you got a repair kit.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:11 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I took out the jack and wrench and left the spare in, just in case I lose a tire. YOu never know a road hazard can get you from anywhere. That's why I have CAA they'll change the spare for me. laugh.gif:

For the track though. I would suggest to take it out. every 100lbs is what. .1 of a second or something??
Old 03-31-2005, 08:21 AM

Never thought I would have this many replies. That is why I love this forum.

I know they make that fix a flat stuff, Is that the tire repair kit you are talking about?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:33 AM

the spare is actually part of the impact protection if you get rear ended... the teeny tiny extra pick up youd get from it isnt worth getting your car totalled if you get rear ended.. however its acceptable for audio setups because i removed that and my back seat for mine lol
Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 AM

I removed mine, I'll put it in if I ever go on long trips.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:14 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

but but but
Tire repairement kit wouldn't help you, if there will be big hole in tire (as I remember over 1/2 inch)
Old 03-31-2005, 03:26 PM

and the spare is perfectly fine if you have 17's ....
Old 03-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Something else to remember. While removing the spare is pefectly alright for taking it to the drags... that is 40+ pounds taken off of the BACK of the car. This is going to maginally make the car that much more front "heavy". If moving a battery from the front to the back of a car can do the equivilant of moving the engine back several inches into the body of the car.. what does removing that same amount of weight do? Does this do the equivilant of moving the engine several inches towards the bumper?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:48 PM

1- Those repair kit in a can are not the magical solution. Let's say you have a repairable hole. By using the kit, you will be able to get to a garage without any problems. However, the tire/tire cannot be balanced anymore. You need to buy a new tire. If you have nice tires, it might be a lot cheaper to get the car towed and get the tire repaired.

2- I gutted my back-end and the battery is in the back. It's just a question of odds. How any flat tire are you going to get in your life? How many people around you, in average, ever had a flat tire? I have a good old CAA card (AAA in USA) and i don't worry.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:53 PM

I have had three. One in my first car (hit a huge pothole and ripped the sidewall with the rim) One in one of my fiats (spun in the rain and hit a curb JUST high enough to knock the **** off of the bead without hurting the rim. And I once hit some debris going into Philadelphia with my Tib and had a blow out.