Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

White Smoke?

Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Pull the vacuum line on the FPR and see if its wet or if the issue goes away. I had an FPR go bad and it was pouring fuel through the vacuum line into the IM and running SUPER rich.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:35 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

you say the plugs look new even after running the engine?? eureka

1. you have no fuel going into the engine or not enuff fuel
2. you cam timing is advanced to far

why. my sonata did the same things your car is doing but it was after i got the timeing belt replaced by "Hyundai service" the Hyundai service shops here in Korea..

well i got no power and it would backfire on and off. so i put a Vacuum gauge on it. and and the gauge said that that late ignition timing. so i checked it all out and the timing was dead on. but when i checked the timing marks they were all off.

check you vacuum and timing
Old 11-22-2008, 08:52 AM

1) Timing marks are dead on.

2) I haven't "driven" it because I had another car so I took the Tib off the road.

3) When I turn on the ignition all I see is the Oil, Brake, Seatbelt and Battery lights come on the turn off when it starts. No CEL light at all.

4) MAF arrow IS facing the TB.

5) As far as fuel, I'd say it's too much due to the smoke and eye-watering fumes from the exhaust. Plus, after it "clears" I can rev it up to redline (if I wanted) and it sounds great in the 3,000rpm and up range. It's just when you stab the throttle from idle that it bogs and/or stalls.

6) I'm going to pull the vacuum line of the FPR right now and I'll report back. I wish it wasn't 25 degrees and windy right now!

EDIT: Ok, no fuel in the vacuum line and the car would fire up and die immediately with it removed.

In all this time (since last spring) and even more recently, the coolant has been topped off up to the cap almost. Absolutely no coolant is missing from the radiator in all this time. Keep in mind that I was worried this was a HG issue last Spring and no coolant is missing in all that time of my trail and error.

I'm wondering if I should just try an 02 sensor before I do anything else. Anyone agree?

BTW, you guys helping me are AWESOME. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Install a fresh bulb behind your CEL indicator and see if you have a Check Engine Light wink1.gif
Old 11-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Is that a part-store item? Anyone know the # of that bulb off-hand?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:56 AM
DTN

You can get the bulbs at any parts store. They're small indicator lights. I'd take care of the engine first, then worry about the bulb. You can pull the instrument cluster off and bring the bulb to the store with you it takes like 20 minutes to get to the back of the instrument cluster. Just make sure you have the car off or you'll set off your airbag light. I don't know the bulb number off hand.

Get those codes read mang!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You can probably use the one for the seat belt light or some other indicator, just temporarily swap it over...

How much fun would it be to find out that you actually have a BLINKING CEL?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:07 AM
DTN

^^ lmao.gif haha.gif lmao.gif haha.gif lmao.gif haha.gif lmao.gif haha.gif lmao.gif
I've never found that to be fun. I hate blinking CELs.

Good idea.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stocker @ Nov 22 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Install a fresh bulb behind your CEL indicator and see if you have a Check Engine Light wink1.gif</div>

Or just get it scanned. Putting the bulb in will be a pain and you can always do it later.

humm no missing fluids then it must be fuel. Plus it burning your eyes is a dead give away. Mine was more like really thick steam.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm going to stop by a guy I really trust and tell him what I've done so far. I'm going to ask him if I can tow it there and have him scan it.

If it's minor, I'll fix it. If the weather really sucks or it's a big item to fix (I'm short on time and no garage), I'll have him fix it then register it to drive it home.