Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

White Smoke?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plugs, wires and 4 injectors are ALL NEW with 0 miles on them as of right now. I had so much crap in the injectors that I replaced them all along with the filter but had also done the pump before that.

The CEL coming on upon start up is one thing I'll look at first thing tomorrow. I'll say right now that I don't remember seeing it at all. Is it yellow/orange?

Keep in mind that I bought the car, drove it (great) for a couple of weeks or so then I started having all these problems but never a CEL promptimg me to throw new parts on it in an attempt to fix it to no avail.

As a side question, what would cause the tank to read empty when it's not?. It seems to either read full (when it is) then after a few miles, it drops down. Right now it reads empty even though I KNOW there's about 6-7 gallons in it.

It happened right after I stomped on the gas and the thing bucked like it was starving for fuel and making me look like a total idiot in the process ( I've since replaced pretty much the entire fuel system including the pump).
Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 PM

The float on your gas pump is what feeds the gauge
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 PM

It would actually be cheaper to ramp it than to register it. I'm kind of a pussy (used to do it ALL the time though) when it comes to driving unregistered/uninsured.

I let the vacuum line off the passenger side intake suck it in just slow enough that it didn't stall. Up to now, it's probably run over 40 minutes by now. It smoked like it's supposed to but then stopped for a while. Today it seemed to start all over again in pretty big clouds (not the cold temp. steam from the weather either).

I had my pump out today and the float was free and had full range of motion. It comes close to the screen but it doesn't hit.

Could the wiring be mesed up? Or the gauge itself?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

CEL on *my* car is orange. It was shining at me all the way home tonight 02.gif
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

bluegrey smoke is oil, white is coolant.

when my headgasket went it was burning a lot of coolant and a little oil and also wasn't sweet smelling. check the levels and you'll know whats happening. More than likely it's a headgasket. If your comfortable doing cams and timing belt then your set, otherwise get help.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Supercow, normally I'd agree but this just happened today and I've been dealing with the rough running/bogging since last spring (when I took it off the road).

It never smoked until today but like I said I've been all this time replacing parts, letting it run, replace another part, let it run, check timing, let it run, do full tune up, let it run.

Even if it was the HG, I had a problem that I can't seem to fix way before the white/gray smoke, know what I mean?

With my luck, I'll tow it to the garage and they'll find an o2 code was causing me all this despair!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You could tell if it was a headgasket by turning on your car and watching your radiator overflow tank. Grab a beer and watch it for 10 minutes. If it bubbles or overflows, it's probly the headgasket.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Supercow @ Nov 21 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>bluegrey smoke is oil, white is coolant.

when my headgasket went it was burning a lot of coolant and a little oil and also wasn't sweet smelling. check the levels and you'll know whats happening. More than likely it's a headgasket. If your comfortable doing cams and timing belt then your set, otherwise get help.</div>

it could be seafoam.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 PM

Wouldn't I see at least SOME goop on the dipstick (he he he)?

My Samurai headgasket went and this smells and looks different... more like too much fuel. It kinda burns the eyes and is no fun when it fill up the car when I'm in it!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

not necessarily would you see goop on the dipstick. the pressures inside the chamber get much greater then the pressures in the coolant system. Most likely, yes you'd see it, but it's not required.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

when my hg went the oil wasn't contaminated. The coolant tank was emptying like crazy though. like the overflow tank in one tank of gas.

how much have you driven it since the smoking started?