Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

White Smoke?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand new and look great. Just like they're supposed to.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 PM

so they still look brand new and have no funky smell? doesn't sound like a fuel problem then cause they wouldn't look new still
Old 11-21-2008, 05:33 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad_john @ Nov 21 2008, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>sounds like a cracked head. that is the exact same shit that happen to me. come to find out i had cracks in the ext ports.</div>
More then likely, he would have a cracked manifold. He's not running a turbo like you is he? How does the cracks in the exhaust ports effect that unless it breaks the valve seals?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibs @ Nov 21 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>what do the spark plugs look like and do they have any type of odor?</div>
I know how to read spark plugs, but I've never heard of any odor reading. can you explain this?

Usually the symptoms you are describing relate to having a MAF backwards. There's an arrow on it. If you don't see the arrow, then it's backwards. Make sure the arrow points towards the throttle body.

Are you sure there's a problem with smoke? It's starting to get cold and the exhaust will expel water vapor at high temp which will produce a white cloud.

If this is an actual problem, the car will definitely have a check engine light. You wouldn't be able to get that much fuel through the catalytic converter without at least a reduced catalytic converter efficiency code. From what you're describing, you'll have a random misfire or a cylinder misfire code, from the rough idle, maybe a vacuum leak, or eratic value code. You need to get the CEL read. Autozone, Advanced, all of the parts stores will read the code. Check with them because they want to sell you parts.

It's important that you get this fixed soon or you will destroy your catalytic converter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibs @ Nov 21 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>so they still look brand new and have no funky smell? doesn't sound like a fuel problem then cause they wouldn't look new still</div>
There's alot to spark plug reading.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the help!

Yes, it was more than just cold engine exhaust. It actually drifted out to the street and it was embarrasing as people looked as they drove by (90 feet from street). It actually warmed up and ran clean and idled clean for about 15 minutes. It stalled suddenly so I made sure the (new) FP was spinning, put it back and the car fired right up but started blowing clouds of gray smoke and running like S#!T.

When I bought it, it ran perfectly. I never had the MAF off so it shouldn't be an issue but I will check first thing.

Will there be codes even though I never had a CEL?

My plugs look better than the "normal" picture in the manual (your pic).
Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 PM
DTN

The car has a pending code system. If the fault has not occurred twice within (i think) 3 drive cycles, then it will not set, it will pend. You said your idle is stumbling and the car dies when you give it gas. That's random misfire code material. If the white smoke is fuel, that's o2 sensor code definitely. It is possible that your check engine light is blown.

It can't be compression. Cylinder compression will rise when you rev the engine and should get better as you gain RPM. Idle looses alot of power because it gives the compressed gasses more time to seep through the holes.

If you have a mulitmeter, i'd check the resistance of the spark plug wires. Cyl 1 should be 3.1Kohms. 2-2.5kohms. 3-2.1kohms. 4-1.6kohms

If it were misfiring, the check engine light would flash.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 PM

i know there's alot to reading spark plugs i've been a tech for a few years now. my point was if it was dumping to much fuel the spark plugs wouldn't look new
Old 11-21-2008, 06:41 PM

A check engine light being blown would sure make me happy! I'll get the codes read as soon as I can get it to a shop (towing is my only option unless I re-register it and drive it there.

A bad o2 would cause the o2 code (right?) but what would be causing the possible misfire code?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:14 PM
DTN

plugs, plug wires, incorrect a/f ratio while in open loop, bad injectors.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tibs @ Nov 21 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>i know there's alot to reading spark plugs i've been a tech for a few years now. my point was if it was dumping to much fuel the spark plugs wouldn't look new</div>
I was backing up what you you were saying. I didn't mean to come across any other way.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

IF the CEL is burned out it will not illuminate when the car first starts... does the light come on when all the rest do, and then extinguish?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Not to tell you to do anything illegal, but, just drive it to autozone. They read codes for free.

If you get pulled over tell them you are picking up parts to repair it for inspection.

How long did you let it run after seafoam. What meathod did you for the sea foam.