Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Where to get a complete timing belt kit?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Where to get a complete timing belt kit?

I need a new timing belt. I want to get a good, complete kit. Here's what I'd like to replace:

• Timing Belt
  • Water Pump
  • Tensioner
  • front main seal/bearing
  • Chain guide/silencer
  • All belts
I think my list should just about cover it.... I need a place to buy this stuff for my 2001 Tiburon, and any suggestions as to other parts I should replace.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

it seems a bit overkill/alot of extra insurance (depending on how you look at it)-... i am in the market aswell for a timing belt/water pump kit. i thought i saw a couple on ebay that are very thorough and some a bit skimpy.

you may be able to buy parts of the kit seperatly and save quite a bit of money.

go to retailmenot.com and see if there are any discount codes for autozone, advance, pep boys, or rockauto. i know advance has one that expires today.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Gates sells a kit for the V6 anyways that has the t-belt, tensioner, idler, and water pump. I don't think a kit exists that has everything you've included. The front main seal and bearing aren't part of typical preventative maintenance.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
DTN

2001 is only available in i4 beta.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I know, I was just saying that I know they make a kit for the V6, because I bought it. I figured you could do that research yourself.

They also make a kit for the 1.6l, because I bought it too.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

check online for a timing belt kit. i got one for my 1.6 that had the belt, tensioner and idler pullies. well worth replacing those and the kit was much cheaper.

everything else will be separate.

replacing the front main seal is a lot of overkill and completely unnecessary. its not like the water pump where you replace it while you're there, you have to remove more.

also if you want to replace the front main bearing that involves pulling the crankshaft out.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:54 PM
DTN

I have an oil leak from that area. I assume it is from the bearing. Can I at least reach the seal?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

O'Reilly's auto parts has a timing belt kit with both bearings, 3 water pump options, 2 oil pump options, seals, and bearings. It would surprise me if Advance Auto doesn't have the same, but I went to the O'Reilly's website because that's the last place I bought a timing belt kit. Call the local store and order it up, pick it all up at once.

The front main seal had better be a pretty big leak before I'd want to replace it. From memory I want to say it involves taking the entire bottom end apart and the seal may be part of the oil pump. If you're doing all that you may as well get some standard size main and rod bearings and slap them in there too for good measure.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Check out hyspares.com, they are a good OEM wholesaler. They will do all your belts, tensioners and the water pump, but the chain tensioner might have to be sourced elsewhere.