Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

What To Do

Old 06-15-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I really would just save up the money and get enough to do any upgrade you want (ex: turbo). When I got my first car I started to do that because I wanted to turbo it but then I just sold it and got the tib and had to start all over. tongue.gif

Its always worth it in the end. If you want to do any upgrades now, for a little pep Id just put a cai in there and an exhaust manifold + exhaust.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

hell, if you turbo it and blow the engine, at least you didn't lose a brand new one. Have fun with the 1.8 and then swap it if it blows haha.gif
Old 06-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I'm 18 and on my second tib .. LOL.

If I were you, I would spend my time on a little maintenance, and then some basic bolt-ons to make it more fun to drive.

1. Change timing belt
2. Change fuel filter
3. Change spark plugs/wires (NGK or PRD only, please)
4. Make sure you have a KEFICO TPS
5. Start using K&N oil filters
6. Start using a good synthetic motor oil
7. If it's been awhile, get a coolant flush and put some fresh coolant in there
8. Bleed your brakes, change your brake fluid
9. Change your gear oil, use either the Redline MT-90 + Lucas Stabalizer combination, or get some Royal Purple, those are the best gear oils.
10. Run some B12 chemtool through your gas tank to help clean the fuel system

All of that stuff can be done really cheap if you do it yourself. Now your tib should be running in good mechanical condition, so it's time to start modding tongue.gif ..

1. AEM CAI (get their new Dry-flow filter instead of traditional cotton/gauze oiled filters, our MAF sensor doesn't like oil wink1.gif)
2. Headers
3. Full exhaust with hi-flow cat, a large glasspack, and a magnaflow muffler
4. Make sure your o2 sensors are in the right spots
5. Short shifter
6. Save more money wink1.gif

As I said this is my second tib, I have not run into any major mechanical problems, and the 1.8 is definitely just as reliable as the 2.0. Most of the stuff I listed in maintenance can be done really cheap as long as you know how to change your fluids. Everything there can be done for under $20 except for the timing belt which will be more like $200.

good luck!