Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

What To Do

Old 05-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay so iv just been doing some more minor work on my tiburon, 97 base coupe with 162k on it (mi). As every 17 year old with an obsession, im gunna have the money to do more this summer. my thoughts are either an engine to replace the old 1.8 kickin in the engine bay with a 2.0 (already been discussed), revamp my whole suspension with shocks struts and springs, or go for performance with a new clutch, header, and whatever else i can get with my moolah. im seeing about a grand to be spent and want to know whether or not to make her last longer or add power, and which of the above would be more helpful. just figured a lot of you guys have run through multiple rd's.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:16 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

bein a youngin' myself and in the same situation you were a couple years ago. I'd say sit on your cash right now and make a little fund for the tibby. Trust me, when you start doing things to your engine to go faster you find you only want to spend more and more. It's like a business you can start from scratch, you gotta go into it with a little investment on your part.

What exactly is wrong with the 1.8L in your car? Swapping in a 2.0 has minimal effects especially for the price you pay. I have a 1.8 with well over 160k and minimal problems. It takes a lot of work to keep her in nice condition but she can still handle boost and whatever else I decide to throw at her.

For your suspension, simply adding sway bars to the front and rear and strut bars on top to compliment them with a nice tire/wheel combo will put your car in a whole nother' class at a race track. wink1.gif Coilovers never hurt anyone either.

I think you should jump on the boost bandwagon with everyone else. But before you start buying stuff just simply educate yourself on what's out there and what it takes to boost a tiburon RD. Don't go spending all your moolah just cause you have it.

I unno, think it through and Rd is here for ya man,
Old 05-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Header, cat-back and intake sound about right for a G.
Oh sh!t dude! I just noticed you're from Maine Clif. Whereabouts?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:48 PM

^eastern, Bangor area, i go to brewer high

im accually makin the main focus to have the tib last me through college, since il have a larger amount of money at once over the summer. the engine would be to make it last longer, since i figure there wont be as much cash free in college. as for what iv got, i have a cai, rear section exhaust (not full cat), muffler, 17 inch speedy lite 5s with nangkang ns1s, and header on the way.

<u>so i guess my main question is, will anything crap out on me in the next few years?</u> my engine is still pretty good and my tranny is good as far as i can tell. i still have the original clutch components.

the original question was more of a, should i invest in prolonging her life with engine or suspension or just keep slowly modding. this obviously is my first tib so i dont know what goes out on these suckas.

as for turbo, wouldnt that be a few grand minimum? not sure if i could handle that just yet. that and you guys may not realize im 17 and my parents will ask why me some friends are spending so much time in the garage and may not be a fan of boost. (criminal speeding ticket almost a year ago...)
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Don't think of it as stuff crapping out on you. Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade! Turbo will be a few grand for parts, plus install and tune. Better to go na for now and slowly beef stuff up. Anything you do now will lay the groundwork for the turbo. Get the header on, full cat-back, bbtb, intake manifold, throw some suspension parts in there and then when your ready for more, go turbo. The only thing you'll have to ditch is the header you have coming. And you engine will be in better shape for boost.

Originally from Biddeford (go Tigers!!). Nice to see another Mainahh on the site!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:22 PM

you're saying keep the engine, tranny, shocks, struts? would a new clutch show a big difference?

so this may be a stupid question, but wouldnt having header and a big flex going into a stock cat and then out through a big exhaust have a coke-bottle effect? im sure a lot of exhaust situations have been tested on here, should i throw on a "high-flow" cat?
iv found a lot of posts about air ram, where the hell do i get one?

Ya, the "clif" is for clifton, friggin woods town 15 minutes outa brewer
Old 05-25-2006, 09:40 PM

Don't change out the clutch unless there's an issue. If there is then do it, if not wait until it goes then upgrade. I would do soem suspension work. Maybe coilovers. Won't give you hp, but will make you handle better. Fast isn't all about horse power. 2.5" on the cat-back is a good size for na. Any bigger is good for turbo, but on na you'll lose a little low end. A high flow cat just makes it worse IMO. If you're going turbo, then you want as few restrictions as possible.
KSpec is your only source right now for the AirRam. Sometimes they pop up on here or on ebay. But generally there not much cheaper. It's a very expensive upgrade, but something that will help with forced induction down the road.
Best thing to do is use the search button on this site. You will be able to find out just about everything you want to know. Or at least it will make you a little more informed before posting questions. Some of the people on this board get a little annoyed with lots of questions. They're not being mean. They've answeres these questions a million times.Check out the vendor forums and look at all of the products they have available.
If you have any other questions feel free to pm me if you don't want to post.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:20 AM

suspension and brakes.. because stock the beta does not have a lot of power to accelerate, you simply set your car up so you do not have to accerate as much. Remember, on the track, the less time you spend braking, the more time you can spend accelerating.. so big brakes and a good suspension will pay for the lack of power.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Forgive me for playing on the other side of the field, but personally I would go for the motor swap.

1. Those who aren't real motor inthusiests generally don't take care of their car like they should (oil changes, plugs, wires, flushes, etc.).
2. I baught another motor (building it up for big psi) for $440 that had 45,000 miles on it. Shouldn't cost you more than that to install it. Our cars tend to run a bit on the rich side, so 162,000 miles should have some crazy carbon buildup in the exaust ports of your head and on the pistons. Unless you know how to pull a motor apart (and put it back together) its cheaper just to swap the motor. Severe carbon buildup means loss in airflow (loss in horsepower).
3. An extra motor means extra parts for when things go wrong.

Just my two bits...
Old 06-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

isn't a smaller 1.8L better for turbo setups?