Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

What Data Does Ecu Store?

Old 01-19-2006, 04:21 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I've been wrestling with the dealer for a couple months now. I took my car to them with problems when it was under warranty and they said "no problem found". I've suspected that my TPS was bad for a while now and they say, it seems ok to me. I told them i need an appointment to get it fixed and the guy went off on me. I think it's becuase they have to pay because they said that no fault was found and now i'm under THEIR quality assurance warranty. Anyways, to make a long story short, the dude said they have a $40,000 computer in the back that can tell anything about the vehical including which direction i was turning, how hard and how much gas i was giving it at any given time.

I'm absoloutely sure now that mine needs a new TPS. I swapped out TPSs with another 01 vehical yesterday. I have a feeling that they're not going to make this easy as they have to fork this repair out of their pocket. Anything that I can do/say to make sure this repair goes smooth? and what data is stored in the ECU?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sure, call up the Hyundai Customer Service folks and explain the problem. Tell them you'd like the TPS replaced as per the TB out there on it.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ok for one hyundais computer is about 15grand
it has no where NEAR as many options as say the WDS from jaguar (which by the way would tell you within a foot of where there is a short in wiring....hell it will tell you speeds of the winshield wipers) or consult II from nissan which would adjust the variable valve timing and can take the computer out of self learn for a determined period and make it stay at your settings

second just install the tps yourself if you already got it its like 2 screws its rather simple then just reset your computer and youll be fine

or

you can call hma and get them to tell the dealer to do it i love doing that its like take that foo!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:35 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Jan 19 2006, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>the dude said they have a $40,000 computer in the back that can tell anything about the vehical including which direction i was turning, how hard and how much gas i was giving it at any given time.</div>

I think it's bsflag.gif

They can scan only real-time parameters (idle, tps angle,......... etc)
Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Dmitry is definately right there. There's no sensors telling how far the wheel is turned, so how can their magical computer tell that?

It can't.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:36 AM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (faithofadragon @ Jan 19 2006, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>ok for one hyundais computer is second just install the tps yourself if you already got it its like 2 screws its rather simple then just reset your computer and youll be fine

or

you can call hma and get them to tell the dealer to do it i love doing that its like take that foo!!!!</div>

it's not the work. I did it yesterday. It's the parts. autozone wants 70, dealer wants 75. I want a real good price or i'm going to flip.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jan 19 2006, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>There's no sensors telling how far the wheel is turned, so how can their magical computer tell that?

It can't.</div>

not really.

there is sensor that tells that angle!

Here is stuff from WebTech:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The electronic power steering (EPS) system uses the same components as that of conventional power steering system. In addition, it has a angular velocity sensor located in steering column, a solenoid valve on power steering gear box, and a control unit inside the LH rear trunk.
To control the oil flow of steering gear box, a solenoid is provided and it functions by the current from control module which receives signal from VSS, TPS, and angular velocity sensor.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ANGULAR VELOCITY SENSOR
EPS equipped vehicle has a AVS in multifunction switch.
AVS is composed of a set of photo interrupters (light emitting diode, photo TR and slitted disc).
The slitted disc has 18 outer slits for detecting the steering wheel rotating direction and angular speed. And a inner slit is provided for checking whether the wheel position is within neutral or not.
2 sets of LED and photo TR check the rotation of steering wheel calculating the degrees per time through on, off photo TR, and a set of LED and photo TR is used to sense he wheel location.
With the signal from the sensors, the EPS control module miscellaneously decides the current flow to solenoid valve from 0A to 1A compensating steering wheel effort.</div>

Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
DTN

ok, so it has a sensor in it that is like a sensor from a standard mouse with a weight on one end of the sensor?

ECU reset will clear any data that stores right?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:33 PM

ok... much of what was said is BS. EVEN GM, which has recording Black boxes in their cars that record EVERYTHING.. only has a memory of less than a minute.. thirty seconds at most. I forget what magazine talked about it, but there is/was some controversy about the courts using that data in accident trials.

You dealer just does not want to eat part of the cost of replacing that TPS. It is not like the dealer pays for any of your warrenty repairs.. they just do not get the same money from the factory for the repair as they would get from the average Joe on the street.

I should bring my car in for the TPS.. it has been driving me crazy for the last 40,000 miles.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:17 PM
DTN

Ok, so my worries should be limited to the last minute of the drive to the dealer then?

my vehical is now out of warranty. i would be under their 1 year quality assurance warranty if anything. Their method of saying that their work is good to go. I think they have to eat it because hyundai won't pay for it now. it's their fault.