Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Weird start out in cold weather

Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Weird start out in cold weather

For some reason in cold weather (its not winter yet so i'm just talking about the cold mornings up here in Pennsylvania) my car seems to not like to start out from a dead stop. With the engine already warmed up, having been driven for 10 minutes or so, every time i come to a street light or stop sign my car idles fine. When i proceed to try and get to a rolling start the rpms drop, sometimes multiple times in quick succession, and the engine almost wants to stall out. This problem makes it very annoying trying to drive in cold weather. Does anyone know whats wrong here? This problem does not show at all in warm weather.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM

The only thing i know that is wrong sensor wise on my car is that when i got an exhaust custom bent and welded up, the guy put the second 02 sensor in front of the cat, so both 02 sensors are in front of the cat, but this should'nt be causing the problem right? I never got any codes from it or anything and it drives as smooth as ever, except from the problem above lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Is the transaxle an automatic? Off the top I am guessing either cold hydraulic oil (which is probably past-due for a change anyway) or a flaky-when-cold sensor.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Its a manual, i just noticed i have a dae sung tps, can anyone give me a link where i can buy a kefico? Figure I'll replace this and see if it fixes the problem

EDIT: Bought one over ebay, ill see if it changes anything when it gets in.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 AM

The new tps didn't fix anything, but I wanted Kefico brand anyways. Is there any other suggestions I can get to help solve this problem? Today, at 7:00 in the morning it was very, very cold. I went to take my car out for a drive and it did alright for the first 10 minutes because the rpms are naturally a little higher than normal because of the cold, so i didn't get the rpm drop problem until after driving for 10 minutes when the engine was warm. I step on the gas a little with the clutch in from a stop and it raises about 200 rpms and then drops to about 200 rpms, alost stalling the car. This problem is very annoying, any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

If you keep your foot on the gas so the engine speed stays high, say 1500-2000RPM, does it stay running? I have had to do this before, and it sucks but it gets you to work & back.

When is the last time you cleaned your throttle body?

Does the throttle cable bind/does the throttle body operate freely?

The fueling system takes into account the various temperature sensors. There are a few; test these.

Probably unrelated: when did you last change plugs/wires/fuel filter?

If you put a voltmeter on the +12V side of the charging system, what is happening when the engine stumbles?

It is possible you got another bad TPS, test this one.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

today, there was literally ice on my truck outside, I only tuned last week , but she did not like the cold this morn either at -2 for the first time and I had to change temp setting, and cold start :angry:.. ... Hate winter....
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 PM

^ Yea i know, my car loves the summer, but i'm gunna go down your list stocker, i have no idea about the fuel filter, it was never changed since i owned it, but i guess i have some things to test out. Yea, the rpms will stay up without a problem if i continue to have my foot on the gas, the problem only occurs in when i let my foot off the gas. By the way whats a reccomended spark plug and wire combo, i never replaced the wires but the plugs are probably about a year old.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

The OEM recommended spark plugs (check your owners manual) are great for this engine. Mid-grade store brand wires should be fine, I think I'm running Autolite or some such just now.

While we're on the subject of things that really ought to be done immediately if you don't know when they were last done: timing belt.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stocker
The OEM recommended spark plugs (check your owners manual) are great for this engine. Mid-grade store brand wires should be fine, I think I'm running Autolite or some such just now.

While we're on the subject of things that really ought to be done immediately if you don't know when they were last done: timing belt.

Ha, actually i have a timing belt kit in my garage, I just have to find the time to put it in, I knew that was important amoung the list of things to change