Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Weird Idle Issue Caused By 1.8 Ecu

Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

Glad to hear your issue got resolved mate!

No for penance of doubting the 1.8 ECU, you are required to go to my 1.8 ECU Knowledge post and post your eternal praise there...

Now walk in the light...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 AM

So zoned, after reading your "emergency post from cell phone" (or something like that) thread, it's probably that on your BBTB what was causing the whole problem right?
I am just curious to know if once that is solved, you still get strange idle from your 1.8 Ecu; I hope everything gets solved now and you can verify if you really get benefits from the 1.8 Ecu or not so much.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Yeah, this throttle body has been what was messing me up all along. It's pretty random, so it must have just been the days that I had the 1.8 ECU in, it was worse.

I am still working on fixing the problem with the BBTB.

I had the BBTB working fine for a few days when I first posted that, and then last night the idle adjuster screw fell off, and caused all sorts of problems. For the few days that it was working, the 1.8 ECU had none of these issues, except for that the idle still started off real high as soon as you start the engine, but it calms down (back to normal) after about 15-20 seconds. That part definitely is the ECU, but its not like there's anything bad about that.

As far as gains from the ECU, my car is already heavily n/a modded, i/h/e/bbtb/airram, so honestly the 1.8 ECU feels no different to me (power wise) than the rev A ECU, or the 2.0 RD2 ECU. I have driven with all 3 for a week or more (each) and the 1.8 definitely gives better gas mileage. I believe the performance difference is so small that unless your engine is stock, you won't notice it. It's worth it for the gas mileage though.

So to put this to rest ...
The 1.8 ECU will NOT cause all the problems originally listed in this thread (a half-broken BBTB will though tongue.gif)
The 1.8 ECU WILL however cause your idle to be high for about 20 seconds as soon as you start the car (whether it is warm or cold, it takes a little bit before it calms down).
The 1.8 ECU is NOT a noticable HP gain (to me anyway).
The 1.8 ECU WILL give you better gas mileage.

My personal opinion, if you can get your hands on a 1.8 ECU for $85 shipped or less (I wouldn't pay more than that, you should be able to find them around the $60 range) I would get it, just for the increase in gas mileage, especially if you are Rev A.