Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Weird Idle Issue Caused By 1.8 Ecu

Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

Ok, ever since I installed my 1.8 ecu my idle has been weird. I have had some weird power issues with bogging and such also.

I swapped back to my original rev a ecu for awhile, and the idle issue went away.

The issue with the idle is REALLY strange. As soon as I turn the car on, it idles at around 2k for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. After that, it calms down to around 1k like normal. Now, after driving for awhile, if I put the car in neutral and am coasting, the idle is back to 1.5-2k. See, the weird thing is, if I am coasting, moving at all, the idle will stay at 1.5-2k. As soon as the car comes to a complete stop, the idle goes back down to 1k. I know this sounds weird, or impossible even, but I have tested this multiple times.

Car moving (even rolling in neutral) = idle at 1.5-2k

As soon as I come to a complete a stop = idle is normal

Also, I get random bogging/loss of power issues. Usually only after the car has been driven awhile, and only at WOT or under hard acceleration.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thing is, I really like the ECU because my gas mileage has shot up noticably.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:15 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That's normal. The car will keep the idle up so that you are easier on the clutch when you downshift.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 PM

i had the same problem, umm im not definate, but i think it was umm maybe the iac was dirty/ disconnected, or the maf was dirty or the first o2 sensor was bad, but i have a really bad memory and cant remember what i did to fix it, but that is what i did to the tib around that time lol. so check to see that the iac is still plugged in, or if you get a cel soon lol and clean the maf with contact cleaner
Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 PM

my other ecu doesn't do it..
DTN, didn't you have a similar issue and it turned out being the IAC was dirty? Maybe the 1.8 ecu is just more picky, so it won't adjust as easily or something? idk...
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 AM

Vehicle: car

Same problems. I've told people but they think I'm crazy... WOT it's like torque power torque power nothing... My RPMs increase but you can feel that you are stalling while your engine is still climbing. I was thinking it was my clutch, but there's no reason it would engage, disengage for like 1 sec and engage again... Same idle thing too...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 AM

Weird...at least I know I'm not the only one then.....
I want to try an ECU from an RD2 and see what happens..
Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 AM

Vehicle: car

Responded to your WTB. I don't really have an idea as to what it is, but if you want, I will swap my ECU to my 2.0 again and see if it fixes the problem for me before you spend money. Want me to? Shouldn't be hard at all.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:09 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I found my car jerks when I have my A/C on. It has less power then the A/C clutch disengauges shortly after you start acellerating, and it has power, then the A/C kicks back on sometimes. It's somewhat eratic power and the idle stays high while the A/C is on.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:12 AM

DTN, that's exactly what the car feels like after the install. But only sometimes. You know that little midrange drone you get when the AC is on? Then when its gets like 4-5k+ it really kicks your ass?
It's like that. I've only ever noticed it at WOT though.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I've also had this problem for quite a while, and I haven't gotten it straightened out. I went to the dealership one time and they told me $600 to replace the IAC and do some kind of "IAC service". I ended up replacing the it myself ($225 part alone), but it didn't change a bit. I was going to try that seafoam stuff to clean the induction system. Now I'm going to try cleaning the MAF according to rollwitstyle.

Zoned, I replied in your other thread...but it doesn't look like my ECU will help you any considering my car has the same problem. Still, I'd be willing to trade.