Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Weight reduction info!

Old 12-06-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Interesting article about Mitz

Our curb weight is 2,633 lbs laugh.gif

so were just a little heavier then the lightest ( civic 2405 lbs ).

Something tells me i wouldn't like my car if it was 3500 lol.gif
Old 12-06-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: some questions... bought some new stuff

yeah, I was almost certain the tiburon weighed less then my last car, a 98 Grand Am GT
Old 12-08-2004, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC
Default Re: Sharkracing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (01tibby341)</div><div class='quotemain'>Probably a dumb question but....... how much do our cars weigh stock? I tried to look it up in the owners manual but it didnt' say. Probably could find it somewhere but i figure its a quick question.</div>

With myslef, and about 20lbs of books and magazines my car was 2600lbs.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Oil pressure q

Bleh, me no care about prettiness as long as its that fast tongue.gif Yes the tib is pretty, but being able to blow away all them old muscle cars at the track would be nice too smile.gif
Old 12-08-2004, 06:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: FS: Sony 10" Subs,Sony 1000W amp,and 2Frd Cap.*UPDA

Since when does Uniqueness = Pretty?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Oil pressure q

I have seen a LOT of unique cars I would not call pretty to look at even if I was blind
Old 12-08-2004, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: 97-99 HY Tiburon ARK N2 Exhaust system (sus)

Well, for me uniqueness is usually pretty to me. Unless its two ton, three eyed seacow with wings. That would be unique but scary.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Slim/thin fans?

stop on this off topic crap guys. this is weight reduction thread.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: 97 & 99 Tiburon part out

Well...if you seriously want weight reduction, start looking into replacing your stock engine parts...like the cast iron exhaust manifold and cover, the intake manifold...battery too. I believe Mad-Machine found a lightweight battery that takes up a small fraction of space,...back on HP.

I dunno how heavy the AirRam is (though, you shouldn't be using if for N/A)...but if you really care about weight reduction, go for a c/f plenum for the intake manifold. Exhaust manifold/headers....well..any aftermarket one is better. Even a C/F intake would be sufficient...but again...costly.

Oh...all coupes have heavier doors than sedans. The reason is for the impact bar that hides behind all of metal and interior panels. You could remove that, which will reduce the weight of your doors, but that does put you in a dangerous position if you get smacked from the side. An alternative is to replace the bar with a lighter, but stronger material....and by that, I mean titanium. Yeah...again...costly, but if you really do care about lightweightness, it does help.

I'm sort of against people who just purchase a C/F hood. That's just retarded as hell. You're not reducing much in the end, b/c the material that people to fill the inside of the C/F hoods is usually foam or fiberglass. A REAL C/F hood would be composed of a sandwich of 3-6 layers of C/F on the top and bottom, sandwiching a Nomex honeycomb. It's extremely lightweight, due to the Nomex, which looks like paper almost. However, the sandwich of the C/F and Nomex has a relative specific stiffness of more than 50x just FG hoods and C/F dipped in epoxy. 'course...pricey as hell.

And even then, that's just not enough. Might as well just C/F your entire car if you really care about weight reduction. And even then...if you wanted to go further, virtually strip out all the carpetting, remove the passenger seat, remove the entire dash, and replace it with C/F dash with only the essentials (like necessary gauges and switches).

However, I'd prolly look more into weight reduction on engine parts...just b/c we're actually more nose heavier than 50/50. It is really not unfeasible to see the RD Tibs break (or come very close to) a ton. Would be a great engineering challenge to see someone pull that off...as well as a crapload of money to spend. But hey...if you're motivated enough, I'm sure someone could pull it off.

C'mon guys, gotta stop thinking on such a small scale. Go further than just small weight reductions. Imagine driving a car that weighs a about ~2000lbs and pushing 400+HP.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 AM

Default Re: I need everyone's opinion

well, before I went that THAT far... I would consider stipping the entire wiring harness of it's foam (yes, the harness is COVERED in foam) removing the air conditioning, and all the rest of the sound deadening and the carpet padding... you can go nuts from there.