Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Vent In Trunk

Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Sep 13 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Keeps the carbon dioxide from building up, making you loopy, and then killing you.</div>
That would be carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon dioxide (CO2) is not a deadly gas. Harmful to the environment, yes, but not deadly.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

No he meant Carbon Dioxide, carbon monoxide doesnt build up in your car unless your car is in an enlcosed space like a garage.

When you exhale you expel waste gas, mostly carbon dioxide.

When your in a sealed closed space for a period of time you will use up the oxygen supply and replace it with carbon dioxide to the point you wont get the oxygen you need.

But you will feel like you are breathing enough but will become short on breath, lightheaded or "loopy", then pass out, & eventually can kill you.

What he is saying is that that vent sucks a small amount of air out sucking fresh air in the vents keeping an adequate amount of oxygen in the cabin

And carbon dioxide is not bad for the environment, we need it to maintain our climate, TOO MUCH CO2 is where you get in trouble.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

people people.... what are you guys thinking!! Thats vent is to let the people you put in the trunk breath!!!

..oh no, I've said too much.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alex01tib @ Sep 14 2007, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No he meant Carbon Dioxide .... <span style="color:red"> no need to quote my whole post</span></div>

Thanks for the science lesson. I am aware of all of that. Personally, I've never heard of someone dying inside a car because of carbon dioxide poisoning but I've heard of lots of deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning that's why I assumed he used the wrong term. I bet Hyundai wishes their cars were airtight enough for that to be possible.

Too much CO2 is what I meant. I passed my high school science classes and am aware that CO2 is needed for photosynthesis.

In any case, I think we all agree that the vent aids in the flow through ventilation which in turn will help to keep the air inside the car fresh.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Your welcome.

The reason you dont hear of deaths is two fold, these neat little devices, and most likely the person would roll down the window out of "stuffyness" before it got to that point.

And as far as hyundai wishing they had airtight cars, they would much rather install these little vents to avoid a possible lawsuit rather than saying to the judge "we figured our cars are drafty enough so why install a vent for circulation?"