Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Urgent Help! Stalled Posting From Cell Phone

Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

my car will not stop revving up. its like the gas pedal is stuck. im stalled on the road trying to figure out wtf is going on. i have already disconnected the throttle cables and the whe tb and the butterfly is closed. have also checked the tps. someone help ... pls....
Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

disconnect the tps asap and drive, the tps is dead and its stuck in the WOT position..

BTW off topic

whats with the 18 other people who viewed this topic and said nothing that is crap help your homie out....damit >.<!!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 AM

took me about 2 hours, got it figured out finally.

i was hoping you were right mad john, that would have been a much more simple fix.

what happened is that the idle adjustment screw on the bbtb fell off, and the tb was closing, and not being stopped by the screw, so it was actually going PAST the "idle" point on the tb, causing my car to idle at about 6k. you know how when you buy a bbtb it makes the gas pedal stick a bit? i believe, now, that that is a safety thing, so that THIS doesn't happen. i hated the "sticky pedal" thing and took my tb apart and sanded down the butterfly a little bit, then i had to utilize the idle adjustment screw to keep the idle normal. the screw came off, the pulley went all the way around past idle and opened up again, had i not sanded the butterfly, i would have just had sticky pedal again, because the butterfly wouldn't let itself get all the way around like that.

i thought it would have to be something with my bbtb/cables/that sort of thing, but when i spent about 20 mins and couldn't figure it out, i thought "maybe it could be something else" so i posted here. thinking back on it, i don't think there's anything besides a throttle problem that could cause the idle to be that high, so the problem was in front of my face the whole time, and i knew it, i was just looking for a little reassurance. thanks guys who posted.

adamw, thanks for the offer, i was coming back from minneapolis at the time though, marshfield is pretty far from there tongue.gif

this is what i ended up doing...
there was no way i could fix the problem on the road, so i ended up driving back to eau claire like that. i started the car in 3rd gear, feathered the clutch, quickshifted into 5th, and the car would accelerate itself up to about 80 or so, id hit the brakes to slow down to 65, then back to 80, etc etc...all the way home. finally i found an eau claire exit that didn't have a clover leaf ramp (i wouldnt be able to go around one, since my car was flooring itself, its hard to control at low speeds without either redlining your engine, killing your brakes, or killing your clutch), so i took that (about 5 miles from home) and thankfully there was no traffic, so i was able to shut the car off on the interstate and coast onto the off ramp. ran the stop sign and coasted to the next stop light. did a 3rd gear start and once i gained enough speed shut the car off and turned into a Holiday station (with no power steering or brakes, because the car was off). once i got to the gas station where there was some light and i could get a GOOD look at the problem, i came up with a temp fix good enough to drive 5 miles home through the city. i ended up sticking an allen wrench where my idle adjustment screw would go, i didnt have any zip ties, so i basically just prayed that it wouldn't fall out. this raised my idle to about 3k, which was fine with me, i didnt need to get very far, plus after awhile the ECU figured out what was going on, and brought my idle down to about 12-1500, and then threw me a CEL. i don't even need to check the code to know that it probably is the one(s) for "high idle" and maybe a "tps malfunction" one since i did have that disconnected for awhile while checking mad_john's theory.

1 1/2 hour drive turns into 3 1/2 hours...fun.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

wow, just reading this thread makes me tired.

sorry I didn't see it last night, glad you got it worked out. warn everyone else not to sand down their butterfly too much. Safety = Safety
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM

yeah, and notice, i initially posted this at 10:30 PM last night. LOL. I didn't get home until 1, got to bed around 2, had to get up at 7 for work....lol.

anyway, yeah, don't sand the butterfly down too much, and if you are going to, make sure you check the idle adjustment screw every so often, make sure it doesnt come loose.. every oil change should be fine for checking up on that.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

damit i thought you took better care of your ride. not a sticking TB ahhhh chairshot.gif...... get over here foo..... whipped.gif take whipped.gif better whipped.gif care of the tibby whipped.gif....LOL and one for me whipped.gif ohhh yeah

ok now that we got that out of the way when you get if fixed eather put locktight on it or fingernail poslish RED or a bright colour. so you know...

-----End of line-----
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

even with the sticky butterfly i bet it would have still twisted past. doubt that it is tight enough to stop the return spring from pushing through.

glad to hear you figured everything out though.